1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FClassic contact patch or force feedback discovery

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Luke Blum, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Luke Blum

Luke Blum Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I apologize for making a brand new thread, but i felt that this is big enough to get its own thread.

i really do think that there is something to be said about the current size of the fclassics contact patch, or something with the default force feedback. this is at least something that can be fixed with setup changes, which is good but, possibly something reiza can update on their end.

because they are predominantly how i spend most of my time in ams2, (of my total 394 hours of playtime in ams2, i reckon about 390 of that is in fclassics) so, i feel more than qualified to make this statement.

i noticed this mostly in the gen 2 model 3, but also the gen 3 model 2.

more and more lately, i find myself gravitated towards maxing out positive caster in them. negative camber too, but that doesnt make as big of a change as caster does.
    now i know that makes steering effort difficult in theory, but if you mess with your gain settings, you can get it to where it feels really good. like, believable 80s-90s formula one car handling. you can really feel the tire as it grips through the entire corner.

this can be done without even making any tire pressure changes.

i urge you all to try this. try the default, it will almost feel as if the front tires are dead through the corners in comparison to when the caster is set to max. adjust vehicle specific force feedback as necessary. do this on the default ams2 FFB.

now, you might be thinking: maybe my gain settings are too low? I am using an accuforce DD, and its set to "responsive" which is 2 settings above default, and my in game gain is about 45-50 per car.

theres something there. im not 100% sure what the cause is. Maybe some formula classic tire model revisions, or even just a FFB revision. I really hope its a tire model revision, cause part of me wants to think i found something significant that can be improved with these cars, given the time i have spent with them.

Reiza devs, beta testers, try this!

EDIT: I want to mention that I am aware caster changes the feel of the steering, but with the combination of adjusting gain and raising the caster, you get significantly better feeling and handling that I feel can not be achieved otherwise.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

My wheel:
    CSW 2.5, 70 gain, 4 LFB, 30 FX, 30 Damping

For some wheels, it might improve overall car feel, if you like tighter steering feel. I don't exactly feel anything unusual for what should happen with caster increase.

Handling wise, in tighter and slower corners, the steering is less prone to "overthrow" the car into corners, but delivers a tight feel for the car. The usual effects of more heavy ramping up steering are existent here (most prominent change on my wheel). Also self alligning torque might become a bit more "immediate".

Road feel is similar to 7° caster here (exception on very bumpy places, where it can result in more wobble). I would actually go to 8° on tracks like Adelaide by taste, feels pretty alright.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You’ve got something here luke.

The negative effects of high positive castor, can be diminished with power steering (or in this cas less gain). Therefore, so long as the car doesnt wobble at high speed. This negative is nullified.

The other thing positive castor does is increase negative camber for the outside wheel and increase positive camber on the inside wheel.

Another tool to fine tune contact patch.

Great observation! Im using this now.