1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFB after the latest update...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Simmo99x, May 26, 2020.

1. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I think you might have shot yourself in the foot with this latest FFB update.
    There seems to be a massive flat patch where there is no feel, and then BAM you get everything at once, almost like a rubber band effect.
    I've tried messing around with everything, but that finger tip finesse and detail has been lost over night.
    It's exaggerating the physics issue as well, with cars wanting to go back to the old pivoting motion.
    Now a lot of the cars are good but a lot seem worse.
    It just seems a shame, surely having the previous choices of FFB makes sense and also caters for more users and Wheel combinations.
    Therefore giving yourself a bigger market.
    I have a slight concern if you leave it as is your hampering the experience.
    Yes i know there are Mods/files from helpful sources on the forum, but
    a lot of users don't have the time or even want to be messing around with FFB files or tweaking everything under the sun, so just giving them the choice of the Old file/old new file, plus the new would help.
    Cheers...

• Like Like x 1
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Member

This sim looked promising, but I didn't like the recent changes to the tire model and the ffb at all. I have only tried two cars, the Puma and the F. Vee and they both seem unnatural to me when driving, excessive oversteer in release, under steering at corner exit, and the ffb has strange vibrations that I don't understand where they come from. I am rather disappointed, I was getting attached to ams2 but recent upgrades have ruined IMHO.

3. 250swb

250swb Active Member

FFB has gone backwards by a long way. I feel the bumps in the circuit but I don't feel the tyres or the attitude of the car until they've gone too far. It may be a false memory but I seem to remember the FFB was telling you things all the way through a corner, now it's a twilight zone where visual clues are the only feedback available.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I mentioned this on the ffb thread, really think there are distinct differences between wheelbases and game FFB or what details are being provided. Not sure how this happens though. On a DD I find it better and better, dont think I ever felt rubber on the road so well in a sim!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

This is exactly what i'm experiencing, i would have considered it probably the best FFB out there a few weeks back but now it's just lost so much finesse and feel.
    I'm sure the open wheel cars feel better, but the Stock Car, Super V8 and a few others have totally gone for me.
    And also i find myself messing around with the FFB everytime i change car, wher before i could happily jump from car to car/track combo and it was perfect straight out the box.
    I think the game has come along way, but taking away options which suit low/mid end wheels is a very big mistake, after all what's the % of DD wheels...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not super enthusiastic about the latest FFB either on my G27, with the center feeling dead unless cranking Gain to 80-100, making the FFB too strong for me.

7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I feel the same about the latest FFB. It's numb compared to what it was, a huge step backwards compared to the strides they were making a few weeks ago. Perhaps the most disappointing thing of all is the fact that Reiza themselves consider this version to be "v1.0-ready"... so, no hope of any real improvement from here on. Thank goodness for custom profiles.

It happens due to the total lack of FFB customisation. It's very well known that certain wheels do certain things better or worse than others. In sims which have proper FFB options you can tweak the values to bring out the forces you can't feel, or reduce those which are too strong, until you get a balance you are happy with. Not so in AMS 2, because ALL of the FFB effects are bundled into just two sliders with no way to separate them.

It also seems to be DD users which are the happiest right now, leading me to believe that the bulk of Reiza's own testing is being done on such wheels.

8. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's very strange to see so many people complaining about the new FFB. I'm very happy about the latest ffb on my TM TX wheel. I just use default with 82/45/80.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I'm still happy with overall feel, it's just not as good as the previous version.
    Like above i have to crank all the setting up to 80-100 and turn gain down, but in turn it varies so much from car to car that i'm constantly tinkering about instead of just driving.
    I just hope they add the previous old/old new profiles back into the game, at least then it gives a wider choice of wheels/users a happy medium, instead of having no choice and losing feel on one wheel to gain on another.
    Previous versions i ran on new default and could literally drive the car with my eyes closed, it was so informative, now there's just no finesse until it hits you about quarter lock and bam it's too late.
    A test i did was to drive down the straight and just steering left to right at speed, the wheel will start bouncing from FFB with a huge dead spot in the middle, like rubber banding, it's very strange.
    Overall i can't complain really as they're doing a great job and AMS2 has come along way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Have you tried any of the older custom files ? Was messing around trying different ones last night and found one that felt better than the default current one .
    Agree with you though , feels like all the details transmitted now are beyond our lower end wheels unfortunately ☹️

11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Use the latest custom file and tweak the variables at the top. With a little time and effort you can get the FFB feeling much better than both default and the older custom files.

12. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Probably should just follow the example of what Race Room did with their FFB layout and controls. They give you all the controls needed to set the FFB up any way you want for any wheel. You're never going to please all user of all wheels with some sort of limited amount of adjustments. Might as well just give in and set it up to the most flexible way that's possible and please 99% of the users.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I've had a play around, seems setting the LFB and FX up to between 80-100 and leaving the gain at around 80 gives good feedback on most cars, but struggling with the Stock Car, it seems to exaggerate the FFB the most.
    Seems too just jump from say 45 degrees/left to right on it's own accord with nothing in between.
    And if you let go of the wheel it just keeps doing it until the car throws itself off the track at v low speeds.
    Also turning up the steering sensitivity up to say 60 sort of brings the forces closer to the centre.
    Getting there lol...

14. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Yes I've tried the latest , it's very impressive work. I've no idea where to start when it comes to tweaking !

15. Auslander

Auslander New Member AMS2 Club Member

"There seems to be a massive flat patch where there is no fee"
    Try and bump up your steering a lock, in the car, by 3 or 4 clicks. More of a workaround than solution. But I found it helps. G29 though

• Like Like x 1
  16. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

You could do what I did, and test them to see exactly what they do. Set them all to zero, then raise one at a time to a high level, and drive a few laps in-game. Once you understand what forces each setting provides, you can start mixing and matching to get the overall feel that matches your preferences. It takes time, but you only have to do it once and when you get there you'll be happy. :)

17. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly what was done with PC1 and see what kind of negativity it generated.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Peter Stefani

Yeah, but users are really a lot more informed now about FFB than way back then. Everyone I know wants full control, and an easy interface to control it. Once you have full control, you can get a set up from another user that has the same wheel, and then experiment until you get just the way you want it. But without a user friendly interface, it's all too confusing. (Like PC1 was)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

What PC1 did is nothing like what R3E does. There are less settings in R3E and each has a name which makes it pretty clear what it is adjusting. PC1 was just a mess of sliders with no layman's explanation of what each one did. It was no wonder people managed to "break" their FFB.

People may sometimes complain about the FFB in R3E (as they do in every sim), but they almost never complain about the amount of FFB customisation of offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Peter Stefani

With the amount of FFB info found on You Tube, and any number of web sites, it's hard to believe that someone can't actually figure out the adjustments, especially since there are so many experienced users just willing to help out.

• Agree Agree x 1