1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSR for OpenVR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, Jul 9, 2021.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Update to v1.1:

Latest version of OpenVR FSR working with AMS2 can be found here

Look in the config for details and FHolgers github for more detailed instructions.

---

FHolger released an alpha of his OpenVR FSR tool a few days ago.

fholger/openvr_fsr

Which unfortunately didn't work with AMS2 due to the ancient version of OpenVR that it uses. I've managed to make the changes to get it working with OpenVR 0.9.12 (so should work with PC2 too).

You can get it here.

It's still very early alpha software so may be buggy as anything, but I've had it running for a while and it seems to work fine with AMS2. Just providing it here so people can try it out and if it's worth it I'll chat with FHolger to see how it can be integrated into the main project.

Follow the instructions for installation and use from the github link.

I've been running it with SteamVR at 100% and the settings for FSR as they are in the cfg file in the x64.zip. Turn off sharpening in the graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml as this has sharpening built in and you don't want it applied before the upscaling. MSAA is on medium but looks better high. Try it out with different settings and see what works best.

If you're running the ReShade mod, disable that as it doesn't work well together.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, it does work.

I usually run SteamVR at 50% for my G2 because I like a little bit of head room for rain and nighttime races and my 2080ti can't keep up with those items at a higher res.

Test:
    Imola
    Time: 00:00
    Weather: Heavy rain.

50% SteamVR, stock dll – 8.0ms ~ 9.0ms frame times with no issues holding 90 fps.

102% SteamVR, stock dll – 16.0ms ~ 17.0ms frame times with around 60 fps.
    _____
    102% SteamVR, patched dll – 9.0ms ~ 10ms frame times with no issues holding 90 fps.

So, it really does work but I still had to up the sharping a bit in the graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml but that’s just for my taste.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NuScorpii

Good stuff. There is in built sharpening that you can control in the openvr_mod.cfg file, but it's currently using CAS which has an odd effect on the sky bringing out a pattern if the sharpening is too strong. The problem with using the sharpening in the game is that it is applied at the lower resolution before the upscale. If it works well for you then great but I'd have thought you're more likely to get better results using the FSR sharpening, maybe a combination of the two actually works well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

First I forgot to say thank you for bringing this here for us to try out.

I did up the sharpening a very little bit in the config file but I didn't know what the ranges are. I'll try higher and pulling the sharpening from the graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml .

I also want to test frame times at 72% SteamVR with the stock dll since that's what it's down sampling to and see if the times are close.

5. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I spent yesterday setting up your VR settings for ACC and then playing. That transformed ACC from uninstalled VR nightmare to become an absolute joy I couldn’t stop playing. Now this! Can’t wait to try it. Are you saying MSAA should be on medium “in game”? I thought fsr would help eliminate need for MSAA higher values as they crush VR framerate.

EDIT: OK, checked github and FSR does not fix aliasing, so question answered :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

Can you point me to his VR settings please , I added the FSR tool and seems to be improved just need to make it look nicer. Cheers

7. BazzaLB

Apologies for slightly OT, but here you go. This is his VR setup for ACC (not AMS2). Bare in mind I do have a 3080 :)

Share your VR graphic settings | Page 63 | RaceDepartment

Having tried this AMS2 FSR "patch", I am actually not that happy with the FSR upscaling results tbh. I set the render scale to .77 in the config (SteamVR 100%) and the result looked a bit blurry/pixelated. I then set my SteamVR to 80% and disabled the mod and the visuals were miles better.

As a side note, I actually decided to stay on SteamVR 80% because I couldn't notice a huge difference between that and original 100% on my Vive Pro which surprised me (Probably because of the Medium MSAA I am running). Anyway, this was enough for me to run in the rain @ Nurburgring Veedol with sun low on the sky . (Shadows Medium, MSAA Medium, Reflections Medium. Everything else High). Can even run at night without stutter.

So whilst this mod improves performance, the visuals were quite disappointing for me. However, it did make me try lower SteamVR render scale which I am thankful for :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sean Smith

AMS
    Thank you , and I agree about AMS2 gets a visual down grade , I run every thing maxed ,except shadows, on high .reflections medium which has no visual difference but a performance increase. 90hrz in VR G2 headset, frpsVR shows me 50-60 frps but it runs smooth as , no stutters and looks amazing with up to 28 AI any track, time or weather, I use fast vsync and gsync together with low latency mode in ultra in nvidea cp, in my case fraps are over rated. I went back to original vr mod as well. ACC is another story , so thank you for the link , ill try it out. Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  9. BazzaLB

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately for me, in my Vive Pro (which is 90hz HMD only), anything below 85 reveals itself as stutter or ghosting and for me, Motion smoothing in AMS2 doesnt look good either. I use Motion smoothing to great effect in my flight sims (DCS,MSFS), but not in any race sims. tbh, I think a headset that can run at 120/144 hz would be much better because then I could run motion smoothing at 60/72hz instead of 45. If only Valve would release the Index to Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sean Smith

Is motion smoothing another term for reprojection mode? BTW I used a andreWot engine file . Much better for ACC in VR Cheers.

11. BazzaLB

Well, there are multiple types of reprojection but essentially yep, thats Steam VRs version of ASW. I tried Andrew_WOTs engine file quite some time ago but I think its tuned for 60hz which isn't any good for me (Wish it was.. 60/72hz motion smoothed would probably be perfectly fine.. 45 is too low for race sims), but I think most people's files are tuned versions of his original. It doesnt seem to matter how fast one's rig is, there's always something for which its just not fast enough. seem to spend most of my gaming time "tweaking and tuning" :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know what FSR is and I don't know what ReShade is, so I might be outside of the intended user group for this thread, but can anyone share the significance of what all this techno jibber-jabber means? Is this something that can be useful for a regular AMS2 user in VR, or is it something specifically meant to be used only by VR developers, not end users?

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. BazzaLB

This is indeed targeted to VR users (not developers). Basically, it will render your game at a lower resolution (according to config - default is 72% of your current headset resolution) and then up-sample (increase) the result back to your standard headset resolution using an up-sampling technique referred to as FSR. This should theoretically improve your rendering performance in VR. It improved mine but I didn't like the result even with 77% setting in the config file but every person's MMV. Hope that helps.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. NuScorpii

I'd agree that it isn't a game changer as such, but... SteamVR res % is a percentage of the total number of pixels where as this FSR value is a scalar for each axis. So you're comparing SteamVR 80% which is 2832x2768 to running SteamVR 100% with FSR at 0.77 which gives agame res of 2439x2383, so yes you will see some difference in quality. To get the same game res as SteamVR at 80% you'd need to set FSR to 0.89. There may be a sweet spot with FSR somewhere between 0.77 and 0.89 where performance is better and visuals don't suffer, or performance is the same but better visuals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. m0rta_della

m0rta_della New Member

I tried FSR with Skyrim, ACC and Automobilista 2 and I am quite underwhelmed. It's just like simply lowering the resolution in game or reduce the SteamVR supersampling. Rendering 50% less pixel, gains 50% performance and makes it look 50% worse, just like it has always been.
    Turning on DLSS in No man's Sky was magic, there is nothing of that in FSR.
    Still great now beeing able to try it out in VR, maybe FSR get's better with time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I'm kinda shocked at the slow adoption of FSR and DLSS 2.1 by all devs that use VR in their games. Especially when their games could get a real boost by adopting such technologies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I’m with you. I love VR but always feel like the boy at the back of the class when it comes to all the techno talk. I’ll give it a try if it works with Steam and a G2.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Stanj2

Stanj2 New Member

I use a samsung odyssey plus with WMR. does this work with WMR ? I don't see any openvr_api.dll on my machine. The Reverb G2 is a WMR headset AFAIK so not sure where to place the files.

never mind I found it ;)

19. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Thanks for your work, last time I've tried the original one didnt worked on AMS2, hope this will make the trick.
    With this you mean set all SharpeningStrength, SharpeningClamp, OffsetBias to "0"?

20. Wilco88

Wilco88 New Member

@NuScorpii can you make a updated version for the RC2 release? Thanks for your work!

• Like Like x 2