General modding/coding question

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by keith windsor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Renato Simioni , I noticed while adjusting a non Reiza track, that AIDryGrip and PlayerDryGrip no longer seem to work any more (or much less noticeably). I wondered if this was a recent change?
    (Of course, the overall grip can still be adjusted, but it was a useful way of making finer adjustments to AI without affecting the player).

I completely understand that modding of AMS is not promoted or encouraged, but do these sometimes useful extras have to be removed/disabled? There are many circuits out there that, although graphically inferior to Reiza's, are still great fun to add in to our season if we can get them working efficiently on AMS.

But this leads on to my biggest question/fear - is there a danger that other such functions will gradually disappear? As an offline racer, I would be devastated if I could no longer make some of the adjustments that I am currently able to. There are numerous less commonly known tweaks (in GDB, AIW, TDF) that make a massive difference to the offline experience & which would be sorely missed if removed.

Hope you don't mind me asking - of course you will add/remove whatever you feel necessary, but if I didn't mention it, then it would appear that no one even cared if they were there in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure Reiza doesn't waste their time with removing features just for the purpose of making life of modders difficult. I assume that there are now new and better methods of achieving what you're trying to do there.

3. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Renato Simioni by the way, after automobilista development comes to an end, is there any chance to go public with the new values enabled (track, tyre or vehicle dynamics relative, shader implementation etc)? AMS could become the perfect platform for all the classic rF mods and we could finally get rid of rF once and for all :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. keith windsor

I'm certain of that too, and I don't think that was suggested anywhere in my post.

5. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

The grip calculation logic has changed with dynamic track conditions, so you canĀ“t split those parameters anymore. No reason to when you can edit AI Grip via tire physics.

6. keith windsor

Fair enough, thanks for the reply Renato, that's undersood. One of the reasons for the question was that I had prepared a small collection of non-reiza tracks for my offline season, including some so called 'wet' versions (nothing special, but I had got the grip levels, the AI behaviour, wet tyre graphics, spray, & misty conditions all working pretty well together), and I had always found the AIDryGrip & PlayerDryGrip to be very useful for making small adjustments to the grip but also to achieve the 'correct' general behaviour of the AI in my 'wet' conditions.

Anyway, I'm now adapting my collection to the latest settings, but I'll probably have a go at cobbling a custom tyre together at some point :)