Great Audio Reiza!

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by billyhas, Jun 30, 2016.

1. billyhas

billyhas New Member

I'm a big fan of audio in racing games. Probably my favourite aspect. I can literally hotlap for hours on end if the car sounds amazing.
    Now, as it stands for me, Raceroom and Dirt Rally are the standards in audio for racing games. Great work from Anthony Monteil and Dave Sullivan.
    Having said that, I am actually surprised by Reiza and their sounds for AMS. Such great detail in this department. I don't know how many guys are on the team but you guys must be congratulated on the sounds. It's not only the engine or exhaust notes but it's the other things that a lot of games tend to ignore. Things like shifting effects, trans effects, overrun effects and other stuff as a result of engine/gearbox loading and unloading physics simulations. It's these details that add so much more to a car's personality and Reiza have done a very, very good job with this.
    Anyway, just wanted to say thank you Reiza and hope to see even more work poured into audio(and perhaps a better driveline flex simulation) in the future!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the kind words Billy. We do feel the same about the crucial importance of audio in racing sims and have been continuously pushing to improve it. On the longer term we hope to be moving on to a new audio engine which should provide a much greater scope for the audio experience.

For AMS we´ve added several new sound effects to the engine and tweaked the functionality of some other existing ones. We´ve also been pushing hard to get our own recordings for most of the cars we do for a few years now - one distinct example consists of me getting a rare chance to record a vintage racing Opala, failing to attatch the recorder in time, and proceeding to jump in and bounce around the rollcage for a couple of laps in order to get the recording :p

Ultimately all credit in this dept goes to our man @Domagoj Lovric for consistently delivering the goods - all hail the Dom :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. kRush

kRush New Member

Since my posts keep getting deleted, I'd like to apologize and assure you that I'm asking in the friendliest, non -abusive, -overly aggressive, -threatening, or "-trolling" manner I can, English is not my primary language and if it sounds like any of the above it is not intended:

Whether/why do you think surround sound is not a part of the crucial importance audio has in racing games, to the point where it is simply not supported in AMS?
    The technology has been around for a very long time and given the complexities you deal with in a simulator, it would seem to me as an uneducated outsider, as one of the simpler things to implement.
    Out off all the gadgets and features that appeared over the years, this is probably the one that does the most for immersion, you obviously put a lot of effort in the recordings, why let it fall short at the last little step?
    I know this isn't something like triple-screen or VR, where you can just point people at a YT-video and they are like "wow, I want that!" but if you want to know how bad it is to go from surround to a stereo game, unplug one of your stereo speakers and you will have a rough idea.

I hope this reads as a reasonable request, in the end we all just want a better game.
    Thanks.

4. Renato Simioni

The anwer to your question is somewhat embedded in my previous post - we´re looking to change audio engine altogether moving forward, and as such in-depth development of the current one was never in the agenda for AMS. Same reason why other components have not been updated either - once you want to go for a DX12 graphics render, 64bit structure, surround sound it seizes to be a short term project, which is what AMS is.

5. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Le_Poilu

Le_Poilu Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh yes please !

As the OP said, sounds in AMS are really fantastics. They're almost on-par with what I consider to be the reference: Raceroom.
    But the lack of surround/5.1/7.1 breaks the immersion (hearing the engine of a formula coming from the front is not what you expect when you're seated in)

At this time for me it the only "big" improvement I'll love to have in AMS. I don't mind about DX12 and so, game runs already great and nicely... just need more immersive sounds :)

7. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with you , they have the best sound of the SIMs.
    I know (or hope) Reiza will add a very good engine sound at the right moment for them.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  8. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I very much agree with the OP. I would add that iRacing has done some nice work although, I don't think all the cars have been updated. IIRC, they use a custom modified sound-engine based on fMod. RaceRoom is certainly outstanding but, none impress more than Dirt Rally IMO; that's certainly a sound-engine to look at closely if possible.

9. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

yeah i thought Raceroom was the leader in Audio by a mile, but actually reiza is if not better just as good!! Well done @Domagoj Lovric !! I think AMS has the best tyre audio feedback of any sim.

@Renato Simioni have you somewhat given away what reiza17 will be running on, if so can't bloody wait!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Renato Simioni

All in due time :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. TDS

TDS ;-) AMS2 Club Member

As an Audio Engineer i'm here to congratulate the Reiza Sounds Dept.
    Thanks @Domagoj Lovric really great job overall !

for a good constructive criticism.. tires sounds could have a better definition (new samples) and implementing a better correlation with slip angle..more dynamic in changing with the slip angle, all in all a tire squeal/scrubb efx that gives better feedback on what the car is doing.
    This would make AMS sound almost perfect for me :)
    cheers

12. FeltHat

FeltHat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

i recently bought assetto, first thing i noticed was how ams and r3e sound was good compared to ac one ;) v10, super trucks and all the rest, music

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. kimbo

kimbo Member AMS2 Club Member

raceroom- automobilista = simracer paradise