1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many rims do you own?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Jul 3, 2021.

?
  1. 1 fixed to base

24.8%
  2. 2

23.1%
  3. 3 or more

27.3%
  4. 1 not fixed to base

24.8%
  1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Asking to see if people have more than 1 steering rim for sim racing.

Updated poll to add 4th option as 1 should also have non fixed to base option.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Fanatec P1, R300 and Formula Carbon.

It's a bit of a childhood dream, to be honest. I'm not really the total hardware crack or even overly passionate about materialistic stuff (at least as long as it doesn't break :D), but since i started with racing wheels as a child, i always dreamt of having a Formula, a GT and a roadcar-like Rim on a home PC for racing games, can't really believe, that this is fullfilled and actually feels as good, as i would've imagined it would. What they ever tell you about "you will not be happy, when you have it", it's BS, it's f***in' awesome!! :D

P.S.
    Yes, we need multiple controller profiles. :p

• Like Like x 4
  3. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I have the Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition and a GT wheel from Speed Maxx Racing (SMR). I like to switch rims but at the same time it is a pain to re-assign the buttons every single time. It gets old after while.

• Like Like x 1
  4. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I own 3. A T150, G920, T300RS GT but I use only the latter one with no secondary Rim. The other two wheelbases are lend to friends.

5. 2ndLastJedi

Its more a question of rims (not bases) and swappable rims.
    I own 2 now, just sold my Formula v2 rim so now have the new McLaren v2 and a Universal Hub that i have 4 rims for ( 280mm, 300mm, 350mm round and 320mm D shape). I am going to buy more Universal Hubs soon.

6. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I don't plan to purchase or use a secondary Rim for the T300RS, I would rather get a T500RS

7. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I'm waiting on my CSL DD and ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2, along with ClubSport Pedals V3. I might eventually get a modern GT wheel as a second.

8. 2ndLastJedi

What does this actually mean and how will it help us needing multiple profiles?

"often-requested option to map multiple commands to the same key or button."

9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So you can have mappings setup for each individual wheel or multiple mappings for the same wheel.
    Why did you get rid of your V2 rim?

• Like Like x 1
  10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good thread by the way, surprised no one thought of it earlier!
    I have two, the fanatec formula V2 F1 2018 rim and the podium Porsche GT3 rim. Will get maybe two or three more when some catch my eye. My next purchase will be the new QR for my two existing rims

• Like Like x 1
  11. Juan Reinoso

Juan Reinoso Doctor SimRacing AMS2 Club Member

IMG_20210301_220223.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Why do you only have the option for 1 fixed to base? I have a single wheel, but it's on a TS-PC, so not fixed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 2ndLastJedi

My Formula rim journey started back with a Formula Carbon, i had that for a few years until the first McLaren rim came out, i bought the McLaren rim and loved the size and button layout, so sold the Carbon before having non stop issues with the McLaren rim. Fanatec (where great) repaired it twice, then refunded it, so i bought the Formula v2.
    I always found the design to be to small but with no other option i used it happily until Fanatec surprised me with the updated McLaren v2. I bought it, tried it out, found it to be the same but better than the OG one so sold the Formula v2 again. I don't have a need to a 270mm Formula rim and very happy with the 300mm McLaren rim.
    All i need now is another Universal hub to fit my 320mm D shape as i use my 320mm Momo round for all old H pattern cars and the D shape is nice for the likes of the Porsche Cup and Super V8. I'm thinking of getting the CSL Hub and removing the shifter paddles and use that for the round rim and H pattern cars.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

My bad, i thought of that after hitting post.

Updated poll to add 4th option as 1 should also have non fixed to base option.
    Sorry, but you can revote to correct your vote if wrong because of this ;)

15. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Fanatec McLaren GT3 v1 rim and CSL Elite rim. The latter I use for older sims such as AMS1 where the MPS switches on the McLaren rim make it impossible to map the controls.

I don't hot-swap between rims in AMS2. I've tried that before, but if I hot-swap rims then the new rim won't be dectected, and if I restart my wheelbase so it can be detected, I lose all force feedback. So if I want to race the Copa Truck with the CSL Elite rim, I need to restart AMS2 first.

16. 2ndLastJedi

What driver are you on? I can hot swap just fine in all sims.
    Edit , i just looked at your sig, 381...same as me.

17. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, it's probably a driver thing. Choosing Fanatec driver versions is like playing russian roulette, they all seem to have drawbacks.

18. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

I'm also able to hot swap rims without issue - other than button mappings! Driver 402.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

4 rims, though only 3 in use with AMS2. Multiple profiles are badly needed.

20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Cool, you should use joytokey for that. I use it for a couple of months by now and it is a life changer for me. Swap a rim and buttons are mapped. No swapping button mappings etc.. it is free but you will be asked to what you would like to pay. I have mapped all my buttons to keyboard input. The app makes it possible to map a button to the desired keyboard input. Voila, no more button mapping after swapping a wheel.
    JoyToKey - Download the Latest Official Version

I have 2 wheels. 1 round standard CSL and a F1 v1. To bad they just introduced the McLaren again. I returned my MCLaren rim 2 years ago because all the problems. Now the V2 will be a lot better I guess. Just bought my F1 rim so I won’t spend that amount of money on the McLaren rim again.

• Like Like x 1