How to properly shift in AMS

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Gevatter, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I'm all for handling the cars as close to reality as my hardware allows, so I was wandering how each car in AMS is shifted correctly. For some it is obvious, but for a lot of them I am not really sure, and I have not found pedal cam videos for every car in AMS yet.

As an example, The Formula Retro, as far as I know, has an H-Pattern gearbox and I Heel&Toe my way down the gear range, but do I use the clutch for up-shifting or do I only lift off the throttle?

Is there a list somewhere, perhaps from the olden GSC days, or would Reiza Studios themselves be willing to maybe provide some input on this matter? Like, does the car use H-Pattern or Sequential, Stick or Paddles, auto blip, auto lift, maybe automatic gears as an official option or standard? I already proposed this as a feature for the game, and I'm still hoping for it to be implemented some time in the future, but in the meantime, maybe someone could help me out with this?

• Like Like x 6
  2. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

Pretty sure everything was manual in the 70s. :p

There should be a thread floating around the old SCE part of Racedepartment but it obviously won't be up to date for the newest cars.

Supertrucks are the weirdest ones yet. I think they're basically sequential in AMS but the RL one is like manual-automatic or something (move the gear shift handle but without a clutch or blipping). Someone who knows what they're talking about should explain that better than me.

3. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

+1

I want to add my support for this as well. In fact, I was about to suggest the same thing when I saw this thread.

The amount of attention that is paid to detail is fantastic in AMS (as it was in GSC), which is all the more reason to stick to the proper shifting method for each car. I don't use any driving aids except auto-clutch (I use left-foot braking instead of heel & toe due to an ankle injury but still blip the throttle where necessary), but it would be a tremendous help if there was a way to tell how each vehicle is actually supposed to be shifted.

Some sort of in-game indication per vehicle would be hugely appreciated.

4. hex

hex Damage, Inc. AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]
    Picture courtesy of ouvert from RD.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

+1

I'm especially interested of downshift clutch usage with Super V8s.

6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

@hex Thanks a lot for posting this, this is exactly what I was looking for.

The only thing I wanted to mention is that by default, the Camaro has an automatic gearbox for me, and the V10 has automatic upshifts but manual downshifts (paddles & auto clutch of course), which is really weird IMO.

7. SHOTIME

SHOTIME Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza have mentioned that this is realistic, per the source car. Definitely feels weird though.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Would be awesome if this was in the actual game as an info screen somewhere! Or maybe it is and I just haven't seen it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

F1 used automatic upshifting for a few years back then...until it got banned.

• Like Like x 1