1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need Information about the Formula Cars

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by leillo1975, Apr 17, 2020.

1. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Hello
    I'm really enjoying the game and very, very happy with the work that Reiza is doing with AMS2, but I have a question. I would like to know what year/s of the Formula Cars corresponds in the real life. For example, I'm very confused with Formula Classic Gen1/2/3.
    I think that It would be useful for all players have a little description of the category where this information is given. Something like "This cars are designed on the basis of the specifications of F1 cars in the early 1990s"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

3. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

Thanks a lot for this info. I think that the beta forum link would be public. After reading your link, in short, the categories would be like this:

-Formula Vintage are generic V8 and V12 models from 1967 (Gen1) and 1969 (Gen2)
    -Formula Classic Gen1 , 1986 Lotus-Renault or Benetton-BMW, 1987 Williams-Honda,
    -Formula Classic Gen2, which are F1 cars from 1988&1989
    -Formula Classic Gen3, 1991 Williams Renault, 1991 Benetton Ford, 1991 Ferrari.
    -Formula V12 is inspired by the 1995 Ferrari 412T2
    -Formula V10 by the 2001 Williams FW23.
    -Formula Reiza is modeled either after the 2012 Red Bull RB8 or the 2013 Red Bull RB9
    -Formula Ultimate 2019 spec

Devs, please include descriptions like this on the category selection

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Gevatter

More or less, yes. I've come to understand since I made the post that the Ultimate is indeed the 2019 spec, and the F Classic Gen1 is 1986, not 1987. Could also be inspired by other cars like the Lotus-Renault or Benetton-BMW, no idea.

The question of labelling the cars with their respective years has already been discussed in the beta thread and Renato was opposed to it, even labelling them like "mid 80s", "early 90s" etc. Getting too specific with the cars only brings issues with users, me included as I already moaned about mashing two seasons worth of regulations together in the F-Classic Gen2 :). Worst case they stir the ire of the FIA. Reiza had trouble before with liveries in AMS1 that looked too similar to their real world counterparts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

It's a shame, but it's better not to have problems with the FIA

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

The FV Gen1 are visually very similar to 1967 season Ferrari 312 and Lotus 49. Gen 2 lock like the winged versions of these cars.

The other cars I believe that are what you said here.

Anyway... I wish Reiza give us some description on each car.

• Like Like x 1
  7. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Given that, for licensing reasons, AMS2 includes generic versions of various historic Formula 1 machinery, I wouldn't hold my breath for comprehensive descriptions of these vehicles from Reiza. For my part, I would rather they spend their time on other matters. Suffice it to say they represent their respective formulas of the eras posted previously. One note, continue to take some of the brief technical specs in the UI (e.g, V6 vs V8) with a grain of salt, for some of these are inaccurate for the time being. The normally-aspirated Gen2 Formula cars list the 3rd model as a V6; however, all engines were either V8 or V10 or V12 in 1989/1990. I assume the three Gen2 cars will indicate one of each engine as the UI is updated, similar to the Gen3 cars. I sure don't detect any turbo lag when driving the Gen2 Model 3 car, although it looks identical to the turbo Gen1 Model 1 car. My guess is it could serve as a generic version of the 1989 Ferrari car (i.e., Mansell's lionizing first drive for the tifosi) before Ferrari added the air intake above the driver like everyone else, but if that's the case, it needs semi-oval sidepods and paddle shifting since it actually invented that feature. Or maybe it's a totally different vehicle....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  8. Gevatter

The Gen2 cars are 1988/1989, not 1989/1990. The G2M3 is a 1988 V6 Turbo.

9. john Ellis

That's weird, because last month I would have probably said the same, but since the last 2 updates the Gen2Mod3 car seem to have zero turbo lag (at least to me). The FIA mandated pop-off valve in 1988 that cut overall horsepower for turbos did not entirely remove that idiosyncrasy from turbos of the era. Hopefully, that generic '88 turbo will get its mojo back in future updates.

10. Gevatter

I'm just parroting what Renato wrote in his thread about the classic Formula cars in the Beta forum, but something could have changed of course.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

That will be included in the game. Reiza already provided a preview of it. Everyone agrees it will be useful.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

The Gen 2 Mod3 car is the last car to have boost settings in the setup menu, though t seems to be maxed @ 50%. Which kinda points to 1988. The Gen 1s on full boost are fkn madness!

13. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yeah, Gen 2 points to 1988 - where the boost output was restricted by even more than it was in 1987, in an attempt at making an 'equivalence rule' to make the NA cars competitive. It was beginning to wok in the latter part of 1988, but F1 went fully NA in 1989.

14. Sevach82

Sevach82 New Member

Formula Reiza is the 2010 Red Bull, the nose has shoulders, the car has a double diffuser and the exhaust is pointed at the floor.
    By 2012 noses had maximum heights (the broken nose F1s), no double diffusers and exhausts had to be moved upwards (which led to those "bridges" leading the gases to the diffuser).

I don't why i know this stuff... i need more things to do lol.

• Like Like x 2
  15. john Ellis

Thanks to all in previous posts in providing additional clarification. Obviously, all our driving impressions are within the Early Access framework, but the current iteration of the AMS2 Gen2 Model 3 '88 F1 turbo's lag/boost comes on much, much differently (as in almost imperceptively) compared with AMS1's generic F-Classic MP4/4 ('88 spec by HP listed in user guide). I agree there should be a notable difference in white-knuckle wheelspin (just ask Nigel Mansell) between the Gen1 (86/87) turbos and Gen2 (88) turbo due to the latter's 2.5 bar pop-off valve, but the AMS2 '88 turbo seems too docile relative to the AMS1 F-Classic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I wonder if the 67 V8 is intended to be like the L49 or a more generic representation of a V8 F1 car from that year. I think I might even prefer the latter as AFAIK the L49 was quite dominant? I tested the Gen1 V8 and V12 back to back at Kyalami and think the V12 might be about half a second faster there but forgot exactly what my time was in the V8, it was either 0.1 or 0.5 slower I think. I hope at some tracks the V8 will have the edge. The V8 seems to need high revs a lot more than I was expecting, it only really comes alive above 7K IIRC.

17. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think the V8 will match the V12 anywhere. The V8 is, or should be, modelled on the Lotus 49. The V12 probably on the Weslake or the Ferrari. The reason the Cosworth won 155 Grands Prix was because it had torque across the rev band, the Lotus 49 has been described as the 'pocket rocket', where the Ferrari had it in the middle and the Weslake had it at the top. The V8 in AMS 1 or 2 is 'hobbled' compared to the V-12.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I read that Hill described the power as abrupt or something similar in an early test at Snetterton same book also said there was a flat spot in the power around 5k which I took to suggest (clutching at straws here :p) there is some power in and around 5k.

I will run some tests at a few other shorter tracks to see how they do, it would be cool for leagues and stuff if there was some benefit to both making them perform better at particular circuits.

19. Obizzz

Obizzz Member

"It's got some poke"

Nine Days in Summer is worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bgil66

bgil66 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Loving my time in the V10 and V12 on track. Thanks Reiza!!:)