1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some PC advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dylan Hale, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello all,

I've been looking at upgrading my PC while I'm working, I was wondering if I could get some advice.

My current rig is a Asus TUF 505DU with a Ryzen 7 3750H and a 1660 TI. Its been a fantastic PC while I was in college, however I do think its getting close to the end of its working life. My biggest issue is it has always and continues to run extremely hot during gaming (80-90C), so while I have the opportunity, I would like to buy a dedicated gaming PC.

I've got a budget of about $1000 (+ or - $250,) and I would like to buy something that's easily upgradable, and can handle VR better than my current rig on Iracing and AMS 2. I'm hesitant to buy a laptop again because of the issue of heat, but I'm still open to the idea because of weird market for GPU's. Lastly, I would prefer something I could make payments on via paypal.

So with all that said, here's my initial options.

The first is the Acer Predator Helios 300 with a I7-11800H and a RTX 3060. Its a laptop, a little chunkier than mine so I'm hoping better cooling. Only downside is it only has a 512GB SSD but it has a slot for another M.2 and a 2.5 Hard drive slot.

The other is a HP Omen Desktop with a AMD 5600G, RX 6600XT and a 1TB SSD. Its a little cheaper, but I've never dealt with a AMD GPU, and everything I read seems to be negative. That being said it is a desktop so I assume overheating wouldn't be a serious issue.

If I find anymore contenders, I'll post them here, but out of the two, how do they stack up to my current Laptop, and how would they be for VR? Thanks

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You know what it is? These years are incredible unfortunate to buy a new computer; Specially the videocards.

Also I won't use a laptop/notebook for gaming. Why? They will run hot a lot, and the lifespan is really short due the lack of cooling, dust, closing and opening the laptop each time, etc etc.

If I was you. I would either go console for this time; then enjoy AC, ACC, Project Cars, Dirt Rally, etc as you can. Hopefully, around 2025/2027 the world is back to normal, as well the prices, and I would sell the console and go full PC again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've got a PS5 so I'm covered on that front. My main thing is VR, which has revolutionized my enjoyment of sim racing. I went from being a mid pack driver to being competitive and much more comfortable in everything I drive, so PC is for me.

Also, I'm not sure my current computer will make it to 2025 if I start playing weekly on it again, so yeah. I'm up a creek, but I still got a paddle.

4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I think I agree with Marius above about the laptop thing.
    A laptop buy is absolutely the most expensive way of getting a game PC.
    Mainly because you pay extra for almost all the content inside.
    Because everything is pressed into the laptop box with a shoehorn.
    And furthermore a lot of the components is specially produced for laptops.

Hehe the only positive to say about a laptop is that they looks smart - and can do without a 220v connection for some time :D

ByTheWay: My PC bible the german PCgamesHW are at the moment advocating buying 2nd hand - until the PC market (specially for G-cards) have stabilised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

do not buy a laptop, I made the mistake. what marius and bruno b say is true. if you want VR and various other controllers you run out of different connectors (usb)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  6. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Towards end of year RTX 4xxx and some AMD powerhouses are coming... Unless the world continues to run our of silicon :mad:
    All based on 5nm. Which btw it too small for me to even comprehend :confused:

7. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If the war for Ukraine breaks out we further from home. I mean gaming prices :p