1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indycar 2023 Mod

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Modding' started by MartinezLJ, May 30, 2023.

Tags:
  1. MartinezLJ

MartinezLJ Member AMS2 Club Member

The full version of the IndyCar 2023 season is out and we are happy to see it's being well received.

INDYCAR IR18 2023 MOD!

We're opening this thread for the community to reach out with any feedback, issues, etc. and we'll try to address them as time allows. It would be great if any piece of feedback comes with real life data (videos, screenshots, documentation, etc.) instead off "the car drives bad" comments. Feedback helps a lot and we are open to it.

We'll also use this thread to update on any future plans and content that will follow.

New Update (May-30th)
    Added a patch to fade the aeroscreen pillar. Just download the .RAR file and Install AFTER the Indycar mod.
    INDYCAR IR18 2023 MOD! - Updates

What's In The Works? (June-30th) 20230609001819_1.jpg
    The team is on cool down mode after pushing hard for so many months trying to get the full version out, so no updates are planned for the near future. The car benefits from the 1.5 CART tires and we are already planning on tweaking the default setup to match the new tires. We also have some neat experience enhancing changes coming up with the introduction of the IndyCar 2023 helmets including model specifications like the air vents/tubes you see on real life drivers. 20230630184256_1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When installed via CM (even with the my team .crd removed from the .yaml file), I get duplicate entries in multi class events. Previously this was caused by the boot files being in the enabled folder (I've since removed the separate boot files).

Removing the mod sets everything right again. To be clear, the issue is that when installed, multiclass events are duplicated (so I'll see 2 GT4 entries, etc.). I also notice that the Carrera Cups are missing from the class selection list.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I did a couple runs yesterday with the Indycar around Indianapolis, really enjoyed it, but did i understand it properly that the tyrepressures in the default setup are actually too high to account for a better AI experience?

It seems though that the AI is blindingly fast. i had them on 90 skill level and couldn't keep up, on 80 i could, but compared to a lot of other classes the AI seem to be on the high side of skill level.

I streamed it yesterday as well, and had another member of our league that really enjoyed it a lot as well, check from here on what my experience was:
    Twitch

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

They’ve changed some AI settings to make them better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Yes, this is because of something we found with the rolling resistance of the AI tyre model... If we had it set where most players would set it up for the correct tyre contact patch the AI would lose a lot of straightline speed... Hence the read me in capitals for anyone who thought the car was too sketchy to drive... It's in the region of 15-30 clicks lower for the player side physics dependant on weather and driving style...

This is something that is common throughout the default set ups in AMS2 though, in most cases I have to let air out of the tyres to have them give me the tyre contact patch and maximise the grip...

There's mainly some AI xml settings and default set up settings at play here... We found the fuel management setting in the xml was costing the AI 3 seconds in race conditions at Indy... I would easily lap the field within 10 minutes at 120 before we found that...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yerffej

Yerffej Member

Ok dumb question, probably already know the answer, is the car supposed to stray to the left on ovals ? Just want to make sure .
    Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Scar666

Stagger and weight distribution cause a pull to the left as well as some of the other changes for ovals... But mostly those 2 were noticeable during testing...

This effect is often larger than this in other sims... Takes a little bit of adjustment to your driving style until you get used to it...

8. Yerffej

Yerffej Member

Thanks Scarr much appreciated for the answer.

9. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to add - the AI behaviour will continue to be a work in progress, so all feedback is very welcome. We know it's still far from perfect.

As some have already mentioned, the AI don't string out enough yet - which is particularly noticeable at Indy. It can also be a bit too hectic/aggressive at times. It's a tough balance to find between being too aggressive and too tentative.

We have also seen that the quali performance spread at ovals does not follow the custom AI skill attributes very well at the moment - so you will see some oddly mixed up grids. We're looking into what can be done about this, but it seems to also affect F-USA Gen 1 for example - which is new, as this wasn't the case when we originally put out the CART'95 pack - so it's possibly a broader issue.

10. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

when you run a multiplayer lobby, and add AI, do they use the custom files as well then? as I added a couple yesterday, and they were like an unmoveable choo choo train....
    i thought this might be because in a multiplayer lobby the custom files dont get used, but not sure if thats the case.

11. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So where you guys able to change the AI behavior from the game code? Or was it a case of using let's say F-USAG3 AI as base and then use the custom AI attributes to change a bit their behavior?

Curious to see if for example in the future, some modders can change some of the weird lines the AI use on some tracks which causes the dirt buildup.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. MartinezLJ

As of today we are limited on what we can tweak on the AI side. We tried to make them stay on the track but that would compromise other aspects that we feel are more important. This is something that hopefully Reiza can figure out and we can piggy-back off it.

BTW the first post was updated with a patch to make the pillar transparent. Hopefully will make the mod a bit less "flawed" :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mario G

Mario G New Member

Hey, I think the Kaos Modding Team nailed this mod. Version 2.0 with the oval variant really captured it perfect. My only issue with the 2.0 version is the game will not load any car on any track. Definitely frustrated after spending a lot of hours installing properly more than a few times still nothing. I understand the installation process by having had the first version of the mod. I can see all the different variants of the cars jI just can’t get them to load without crashing. Last night I could only see the road version. When I selected oval track it crashed. Now after deleting game, boot files, jsgame then starting NEW with a new download of the game off Racedepartment and starting again latest boot files still not working but I can’t now see everything in game just cant load. Followed readme to the letter driveline and vehicle list lines are correct. Can I get some help because I think you guys hit a Home run with this mod and I can’t wait to get going. AWESOME ! Keep up the great work !

14. Scar666

The AI is default AI in MP... The names should be a giveaway ;)

Weird lines are largely AI paths, like how they cut the track at Indy or Gateway where that just shouldn't happen... It's part of the way they use the line and how the AI tries to think around other cars as well as where the actual line for the corner is...

Those issues are largely track side unless there's something that gets uncovered when documentation is released that isn't currently translated... So there maybe hope in the future...

In other titles it is possible to edit these paths for track mods... This is another area that documented translations would really help... But I don't envy anyone working on these files as there's so many variables at play...

I'll send you a PM with some ideas as to why this is happening for you...

For anyone else who maybe having issues... We have had reports of bad downloads leading to missing parts on the .rar... And therefore missing parts of the mod itself... I've tested this from RD on my end and have had previews missing on one download and issues with another download... The link on the KAOS website is a solid alternative...

If it's crashing on the selection screens it's missing some model or car class related files... If it crashing on the loading screens it's usually missing some physics files or the driveline.rg entries...

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Mario G

Mario G New Member

16. Mario G

Mario G New Member

Hey brother, I have to tell you I'm so frustrated trying to get Indycar 2023 2.0 to load up without crashing it sucks big time. I have emailed KAOS directly with no response as of yet. I followed the instructions for install to the exact. I had the first version working fine. 2.0 NO LUCK. I don't want to sound critical so let me explain. I am a former race driver who tested a full ground effect Indycar at Firebird raceway in Arizona. I have a lot of open wheel experience. I have played Iracing, Rfactor 2,AC and others. I believe KAOS modding team have done an awesome job with Indycar 2023 !! THE BEST FOR SURE in my opinion.
    I played the first version and was so impressed and excited because I've been a hardcore Indycar fan since 1985. I'm not even a gamer I just have a simulator ( a very nice and not cheap rig ) set up and I only drive Indycars on the different platforms so not getting this 2.0 Mod going is brutal. To know this is the best recreation of the IR18 right now on a sim and not be able to run it sucks so much. I tried everything from deleting everything from STEAM to Automobilista 2 , I started with a fresh download from Racedepartment , I even tried the version download from the KAOS website which I can't even get that to run now. Vehiclelist and driveline entries on point. The order in JSGME mod enabler correct and still crashes while loading. I can see the game loads properly all the Indycars and new liveries are in but crashes when loading ANY Indycar on ANY track. The first time I downloaded the mod it Crashed only when i selected an oval track. Now it crashes on everything Indycar. Now I just got back from Best Buy where I bought a $1500 gaming ASUS laptop to see if it's my PC that has a problem playing this mod. I will advise when I get done setting this up. I just downloaded Steam to and now I'm going to start fresh. I can always return the laptop but as you can see this is very important to me and I'm asking anyone interested in helping I will pay you for your time and assistance. Someone please walk me through the Install setup as if I was stupid. Just want to make this clear. I think this MOD is AWESOME and I really appreciate KAOS for their hard work.
    KAOS is doing a great job and I know I can speak from experience you guys are killing it ! Keep up all your great work... Im sure the problem is not the mod its me, that's why I'm asking for assistance from anyone and offering to PAY for help. I will send my laptop to KAOS if they request.
    Thanks , Mario 815-909-9880 ehc53@comcast.net
    Former Police Sgt. and former race driver and instructor.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. MartinezLJ

As someone who loves indycar too. I feel you.

I replied on the other thread. Lmk if it works

18. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Did you try to delete the Automobilista 2 documents folder during this process?

19. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Shouldn't be any need to do that. Obviously weird exceptions are possible, but in the vast majority of cases that I have seen, if the mod crashes it is because an install step has been completed incorrectly due to a misunderstanding, an incorrect assumption or a mistake.

The misunderstanding can be our fault for not making the instructions clear enough, but we've tried to be as clear as possible and will continue to try to improve on that front.

I know that's not a great help for anyone having no luck with it - but the solution is almost always to forget what you've done before and start from scratch, following all the steps carefully. Watching one of the several youtube tutorials on installing AMS2 mods to see the steps explained in a slightly different way may also help.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

you modders do great work, hats off to you. Me, being a layman the directions given by most modders have a language that makes it difficult to understand. What I find is a few things missing that you guys assume is known. You need to make a book mods for dummies. I won’t even install a mod anymore because it makes the rest of the “game” work or there’s problems on a new build. Again thanks for what you do