1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information for Customizing AI drivers in AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by gian, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Marg

Marg Active Member

As far as I know, no. And that's a pity because BrabhamBT49 should not be on the same class as their Fan car. Actually they could create like with classics, new "GEN", so that retro Gen 3 becomes Gen4.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you don't have the fan car in the XML files and limit the number of AI to the drivers listed in the XML, it should exclude the fan cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

azaris is correct. Here's an example file that runs on the '79 layouts (20 pit boxes) at Imola 72, Silverstone 75, Monza 71, Spielberg 77 etc.

Just set the field to 19 opponents and choose the Lotus 79 #55 (or a BT46B for yourself).

Attached Files:

4. Romeo Foxtrot

I tried your file, lowered the AI values to between 0.5 and 0.6 for the race_skill (and raised the AI Race setting to 107%) and Bia nearly lost it at the entry to the Parabolica on the second lap.

I don't think you can get the AI to bin it without other cars being involved. You might try Azure circuit where the track walls are more likely to lead to an accident than the open spaces at Spa and Hockenheim.

PS: There are drivers in the file (eg. Whincup and Abril) with a non-black space (ASCII 160) in the names that show the full first name in the race monitor.

5. bojzi

bojzi New Member

I've tried changing everything to the absolute worst value (like the defending and race_skill) and still none of them binned it either at 80 or 120 difficulty. If we are getting the possibility of customizing the AI so much, I would honestly expect to be able to make the AI really bad (like the worst rookie split in iRacing) by entering outlandish values such as "0" into the file. Looks like I'll have to try longer races. Maybe 3 laps just isn't enough for them to bin it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have yet to see the AI crash out of the race unassisted. Mostly they lose the rear on exit and slow down, or drive into the gravel and rejoin. Only when another car is there to hit them do crashes happen, usually by one car being launched up into the air (contact physics bug) or getting stuck on top of another car. This leads to a weird ballet where the AI tries to dislodge itself for several laps but eventually fails and they both DNF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Romeo Foxtrot

I would expect to see the customised values as a reasonable range over a competent base skill. The coding required to turn the AI into "skidiots" would have little payback after the first few minutes. I'd prefer, in a racing game, to drive against a bunch of "fastards".

8. bojzi

bojzi New Member

That's fair. I'd just love to understand what the settings mean and if it's possible to actually make them spin out because they accelerated a bit too much out of a corner or bin it because they started braking too late. They don't have to do movie level stunts, just behave a bit more like a human. For me, that would make it much much more immersive.

9. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Try ranges between 0.05 and 0.2 for forced mistakes and 0.1-0.5 for avoidance of mistakes...

10. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Unfortunately the mistakes seem to be scripted in the sense that they almost always happen on the same corners and of the same nature, most of the mistakes are small slides, but I have seen some spins and crashes.
    Also 3 laps is too short to be able to get many mistakes and all the parameters have some randomness in them, so you can have one race with many mistakes and others with few. Still
    I love the way the AI can be edited and even though they seem scripted they add a lot of immersion to the races.

As much as people seem to hate on the modern F1 games, they have some of the most realistic and dynamic AI mistakes of any game I have played, even in GP4 you could see when the AI would make a mistake because they would make a sudden jerk just before the spin, so they where scripted in that sense, however they would also overshoot a corner when trying to overtake, I havent seen that yet in AMS2.
    Some improvements still needed on the AI, but I really like them they way they are right now

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tend to run 20-40min races and on several occasions I've seen the AI making mistakes as loosing the car, missing the brake point etc. It happens not often but it happens. 3 lap races are probably not helping.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. bojzi

bojzi New Member

I'll keep playing with it, thank you for your input.

I agree. AMS2 as a sim and the AI are superb. I'm having so much fun and looking forward to what the devs will give us in the future.

13. bojzi

bojzi New Member

Yeah, 3 lap races seem to not give them enough of a chance to screw up. It would be fun to be able to simulate a proper rookie roster where already the first corner is carnage, though. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rando1

Rando1 New Member

They still show up:

[​IMG]

15. Romeo Foxtrot

I see Car #55 on that roster. What vehicle did you choose? Also, you're at Interlagos. Did you restrict the field to 19 opponents in the Race Settings? What happens at Spielberg 74/77 and, if you're not driving car #55, what happens with the opponents set to 18?

16. Rando1

Rando1 New Member

My car is the BT46 #5 and the field was for 19 AI cars. At Spielberg 74/77 same thing happens:

[​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

17. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Gave it a try on Spielberg 77. I masked the two BT46B cars in my custom AI file, choosed a BT49 as my car and started a race with 19 opponents. No fan cars showing up:

20230106194413_1.jpg

20230106194419_1.jpg

18. Rando1

Rando1 New Member

how did you "mask" them? can I see the XML?

19. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Open your AI file with notepad. Look for the line <driver livery_name="Brabham BT46B #11">
    Replace it with <driver livery_name="<!Brabham BT46B #11">
    Do the same for the second fan car. Then save and start the game.

20. Romeo Foxtrot

I guess you mean BT 49 #5 not BT46. It's a named driver so there are not enough named drivers left and the game will use some defaults.
    If you want to drive car #5 you need to add an extra named driver to the field or reduce the field size to 18.
    Here is another xml file. It lists the 20 cars other than the two fan cars. It doesn't matter what car you choose with this file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023