Low FPS during Replays

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Professionalsimracing.com, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Known issue or suggestions for resolving? Getting 120+ FPS during race but 20-40 FPS during replays? Is this normal? I can post all settings, nvidia driver versions, etc. but necessary since performance is excellent in cockpit? GTX760 FWIW

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried shadows to high not max?

3. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In all sims the load on the graphic card is always higher in replays, because the view usually encompasses more of the track, more cars, shadows and particle fx, and the associated textures. Although the issue is quite pronounced in AMS due to the unusual performance hit of shadows. I use nvidia inspector and set the texture filtering to anisotropic 4, and use 4X antialiasing with 2x sparse grid supersampling. This gives constant 60fps in replay view and still looks pretty nice. Running 4xSGSS makes things look even smoother, but does cause stuttering in replays.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Professionalsimracing.com

I turned everything to absolute minimum / off in game and still not 60 fps. So next I will lower AF and AA in nvidia settings although I'm not even using sgss. Just cheap multisampling but will lower anyway if just to be able to report back findings and if needed I will just record live though unfortunate. I can also try reducing the number of or eliminating AI for instructional videos maybe. Hopefully, this will improve in 2017 release so game can get more exposure.

5. Professionalsimracing.com

Also just FYI in other games including AC have 60fps when Bandicam is recording and avi output is smooth 60fps although do have fewer AI.

6. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Extra Visible Vehicles="105" // Extra vehicles shown in non-driving situations

never experimented with that line in plr file. may be worth it

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wobbly

Wobbly New Member AMS2 Club Member

Lol, I still struggle to maintain 60 fps with vsync on with a Asus 1080 GTX Strix and I7 4790k

8. JU Scofield Jr

JU Scofield Jr New Member

Is there any solution on this problem or will be any? I don´t get it. I get stable 60 fps in live external cameras but in replays it can go down to 18 fps. Not being able to see replays in sim racing is very frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Msportdan

i think its the shadows.. In track cam mode shadows are more prominent and badly effect fps. In race as you say i get a stable 60 , unless a big crash with parts and smoke everywhere (but I'm running 4xaa and 2x SGSS - bad with particles but cars look smooth as baby butt lol) You can use high shadows but then they're not cast on car and can look a bit crap?! i wish they somehow found a way like rf2 to do shadows. Basically lower the resolution rather than lower its effectiveness. If you know what i mean.

I do find AMS frustrartung in this aspect i can get rf2 which looks better imo to run solid fps with more detailed cars and HDR. So theres obvisouly a engine limit to what this can do i think. I think its bursting at the seams atm.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

It´s not just shadows, TV Cams have LOD multipliers so cars and tracks have higher levels of detail from longer distances then you need to from regular driving cam. This can lead to a big hit depending on how many objects are on screen.

With this said there are some extreme measures mentioned here - if you´re lowering everything and still struggling for performance with an average-to-above-average system, there might be a bottleneck somewhere. For reference, my main testing rig has a I7 3770K CPU & GTX 770 GPU which is pretty average these days, my FPS is capped to 120 FPS and I manage to sustain it most of the time, with replays dropping to a minimum of 40 FPS at the worst of times (first laps), generally staying within 100 FPS - this with a single 1920x1080 screen, all in-game graphics settings on Max and 16xS AA in NVIDIA Inspector. Even at its most taxing, AMS is not supposed to be particularly heavy.

If you have a similar-ish system to that and radically worse performance I suggest first having a run through the graphics guide in the AMS Manual, and then having a play with some different video drivers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Msportdan

Just a point when I tried running that xs setting in nvidia the boot screen just went all flashing and crashed AMS.

What worries me is I have the same cpu as you renato apart from a gtx 970 with all max in game and 4xaa and 2x sgss. And i have some replays going in to low 30s even 20s?! Try f3 at Montreal. With the boxers at a early evening time I got drops in the first corner In race in cockpit mode.

So either that's the sgsa over the xs aa or ultra wide 2560x1080 or im worried !?

12. JU Scofield Jr

JU Scofield Jr New Member

I have a 3770k 16gb with a GTX780 in OC. I already went through all graphic settings combinations. When i turn vsync off, FPS increases considerable, but visually annoying as expected in a 60hz monitor.
    About the video drivers, do you mean installing older versions? If so, there is a version you would recommend?

13. Renato Simioni

I usually find that contemporary NVIDIA drivers to your GPU are reliable options. I run 327.23 with my GTX 770, newer drivers never worked as well as that one.

We strongly recommend against running VSync, try instead capping your FPS to a reasonable maximum to minimise tearing instead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Renato Simioni

Dan, how many F3 cars have you got running with that performance?

15. Msportdan

Oh I've always ran vsync to avoid the tearing, on all my games.

About 17 Ai Renato, obviously after the field spreads the fps gets better. But first lap is normally a killer or certain corners. Last corner at Austria or cam looking back after first chicane at Montreal and the hairpin and back straight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

have u triple buffering enabled?

17. Msportdan