1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive FPS drop at Oulton Park

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Dong Woo Kang, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Dong Woo Kang

Dong Woo Kang New Member

Hi, folks!!

I haven't been driving AMS 2 for a while, I think there's been one minor build and the most recent update since I last played.
    Anyway, I fired up the new Ginetta G40 up at Oulton Park for a test session, and I was dipping way below 45FPS after I passed the final sector on the outlap, and it just was awfully stuttery from that point onwards, which made driving very difficult. I use Vsync, so I understand that FPS below the refresh rate destroys the gameplay. I think I also read that others ran into problems with this track as well.

I did have the game have a massive half second freeze driving the BT44 alone at Imola a while back, but it only happened once and never came back even in races.

It was a bit surprising how bad the performance was without any AI in dry conditions. I usually get more than 100FPS alone in the dry, and always stutter free even in races in thunderstorms because the framerate stays at 60. I tried out the Gen3 Formula Classic, and it's still there, but not as extreme as when I drove the Ginetta.
    I'm presuming this is an issue with the track or something.. I didn't change anything since I last played (everything as low as possible apart from car textures), and I didn't run into problems back then. I tested tracks like Kansai or Donington Park, and they work smooth as butter, even in terrible condition races with 15 AI.

My i7-3770 and 1060 3G used to handle the sim well before, I checked the temperatures, and they both were well below 60°C, so I don't think I overused the components.

I didn't get to test out too much today, I'll try and monitor some more advanced things tomorrow!!

2. Dong Woo Kang

Dong Woo Kang New Member

I tested the G40 at Oulton in test drive mode, with MSI afterburner displayed, and here's what I got. Would be helpful if anyone can indicate anything wrong for me!!

Vsync ON: GPU 36°C/44% usage, CPU 53°C/20%, usually 60FPS, but every now and then it dips to below 58 and causes a stutter (feels like the game skips a couple of frames and gets really confusing, because it happens mid-corner)

Vsync OFF: GPU 68°C (seems a bit hot to me)/80% usage, CPU 66°C/40%, 150~210FPS, but the stuttering sensation still happens yet the FPS indicator does not show anything interesting while the stutter/frameskip happened.

My PC had an owner before I got it, it was collected by a PC workshop and was crammed with better parts, but these parts were probably used as well, so it may just be my PC showing its age..

3. 0ct0

0ct0 New Member

Tested it in VR and it ran smooth.