1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

minimum required GPU for triple screen setup

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Wacky_Mars, May 28, 2020.

1. Wacky_Mars

Wacky_Mars New Member

Hi, I have an older system with a 3x 1080p setup. The setup works fine in most sims, but in AMS2 I cannot seem to keep it working. After a period of time the GPU goes into thermal shutdown and reboots the computer. Even with most settings turned down to the minimum. The GPU actually seems to heat up the most in the menu screen.... (FPS counter shows >700fps)
    I am now looking to replace the GPU and was wondering which GPU would be minimum required to run 1080p triple screen (5760 x 1080) at over 60 fps?

2. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

What are your current PC specs?

3. Wacky_Mars

Wacky_Mars New Member

i7-4790k with a R9 290

4. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I would suggest that at a minimum, you'll want a GTX 1080. I don't know what the equivalent AMD card would be. You might be able to find a good deal on a used 1080. If buying new, it doesn't make much sense to buy a GTX card today. The RTX 2070 is a little faster than the GTX 1080 but has all the new capabilities the RTX platform offers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

My 1080ti just cuts it in ACC and AMS 2 with slightly compromised settings, you could get a lesser GPU if you are willing to lower settings even more.
    Also cap your FPS to your monitors refresh rate and see if you still get that thermal shutdown! No need for 700 fps in menus!

6. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Your standards are probably higher than most other users. ;)

7. 2ndLastJedi

I just want no pop in, nice lighting and smooth edges really!

8. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I'm guessing you have a level of aliasing you want along with frame rate which drives what is good/bad for you. I'm suggesting that your standard may be higher than others which is why you suggesting you 1080Ti is just "barely cutting it". For example, you may be shooting for say a constant 144 fps for 144Hz where as someone else may be fine with 60 fps for 60Hz.

9. 2ndLastJedi

I just want 5760x1080 at 60 fps ;) In AMS 2 i have MSAA medium , other settings on medium and high and still getting below 60 fps at sunset/sunrise :eek: So i don't feel like i'm pushing settings too high or after high frame rates even . I cant imaging running on much lower spec GPU would be much fun in these titles !
    ACC again is another where i really have to lower settings and still only need 60 fps . AMS 1 and rF2 are quite easy to run at max settings though .

10. Wacky_Mars

Wacky_Mars New Member

Same here, as mentioned in the opening post, I am looking for 5760x1080 at 60 fps.
    I have currently capped the frame rate at 65 fps for a single screen. This is somehow not applied when in the menu where the fps then subsequently shoot up and heats up the GPU to thermal shutdown... Sometimes quickly jumping into a race to cool the GPU then helps. :)
    65 fps with a single screen I can almost run everything in highest setting with the R9 290. I deliberately set it lower to keep the fps as stable as possible.
    I am willing to upgrade to a new GPU, but would really like to know what the minimum GPU would need to be.

11. Scoops

Scoops Member

I’m not sure that can be definitely answered as the game is still in EA so presumably there could be changes that change performance

12. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Frame rate is not solely tied to GPU. Your CPU has a lot to do with it as well which is why I asked what your system specs were... You could have the fastest GPU on the planet but if your CPU cannot supply data fast enough, you'll be limited by the CPU.

13. Wilson Oliveira

Wilson Oliveira New Member AMS2 Club Member

I run triples with a 1060 6gb and a G4560 CPU. I have to lower some settings to have 60 fps and ocasionally it can't keep up but most of the time works fine. That said, I wouldn't go lower than a 1060.