1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moonlight (14) mile

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Magnus, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Today is the first day I’ve had to play since the update, so I thought I’d take the Caterham Superlight around the Nordschleife and try out the new weather system.

Without thinking too much, by which I mean forgetting the car doesn’t have headlights, I chose Dec 15th with a 5am start, clear skies and time progression at x60. It really is darkest before the dawn, but thankfully by the time I was heading towards the turn at Aremburg it was getting light. The difference between having foliage and very little foliage really seems to change the track, it’s not that reference points have changed but just that subliminal awareness of where you are has been altered and this really surprised me.

By the time I was on lap two it was the dead of night again and I thought I’d have to stop but no, the moonlight was enough to drive by and the light reflecting off the distant snow and track surface was enough to let me keep going. What an absolute hoot I had hooning around in the darkness, in VR it was incredible.

I think a 3080Ti may be needed with the new graphics …. so maybe in two or three years when we can get our hands on them :D I’ll be able to whack up all the settings and go fully nuts.

I hope you’re all enjoying it as much as this idiot is!

• Like Like x 3
  2. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Right, the new weather is amazing :D!
    I did a test drive at January 5th 1987 at Nurburg. It was really frosty;).

• Like Like x 1
  3. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

do u guys know if it rains when it was actually snowing at the time?

eg: today its snowing at my place, is that represented by rain ingame or just medium clouds

4. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I don’t know how snow is represented in game, but I think I’ve read people have found current weather to be a bit sketchy compared to actual current weather - I’d need to test more.

5. alink

If you know that it is snowing (where are you, north/south pole but there is no race track, at least not in AMS2), try it out!
    What happens if you take current date and real weather?

6. MasterLooser

well that was just an example with "now its snowing"
    u can also just go back in time to a day it snowed, i am just curious what i will see ingame :D

7. alink

Track is wet and it will rain. Because snow / ice is not (yet?) simulated.

8. alink

The test I did at January 5th 1987, that day it was snowing horrorific in real, but ingame at Nord it was foggy, rainy and wet.

9. MasterLooser

ah i see, thanks :D