1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiplayer - screen freezing mid race then continues

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by MarkRace, Jun 10, 2022.

1. MarkRace

MarkRace Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello all, hoping you can help with a new and consistent online multiplayer problem. I'm not 100% on what detail I need to post so please let me know if you need more information.

Issue: during online races the screen freezes for 3-10 seconds, usually once per race. I am still 'in control of the car' and the controls all work. The game itself does not crash and after the image returns to the live race my car is still in the race and I can continue as normal. Other players in the lobby see my car disappear and then reappear once I regain control. (This usually results in an in game crash or trip to the gravel as I can't see what is happening.)

All races were 5 laps, with qualifying (no issues in practice or qualifying the freeze is always during the race)
    Car and track combinations where the freeze occurs: BMW M1 Procar/Wakins Glen (2 freezes per race lap 4& 5) & Brands Hatch (1 freeze per race always lap 4). BMW M6 GT3 Spielberg (RBR) 1 freeze always lap 4.

Car and tracks where the freeze didn't occur: Formula V10 & Red Bull Ring, a tiny and manageable stutter happens on lap 4 but not the same freeze. The fact it didn't happen in these races makes it even more difficult to understand, could it be total race time related?

The only mod I have running is Crew Chief and it happens if Crew Chief isn't running too.

PC details:
    i9-9900K, 32gb ram, Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1080Ti, Samsung 240hz monitor, Windows 11 Pro (HDR off). All drivers up to date, including GPU and Fanatec DD2 software and firmware. Freeze has always been on the pC screen - I haven't tried this in VR.

No issues online racing in any other simulators (or any other games) and nothing obvious in terms of any network issues that I can see.

I've seen the earlier similar threads about freezing so I've already made the changes they recommended: vsync off in game, low latency mode off in Nvidia Control Panel, capped FPS to 240hz to match screen, these changes did not appear to help.

Any help or suggestions appreciated, AMS2 is improving and the online racing is fun, if I can solve these freezes it'll be all the better.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey,

Please deactivate UDP completely for a try in the system settings of the game.

3. MarkRace

MarkRace Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you for the suggestion, I can confirm:

UDP Frequency - Off was used for all these races as I saw that in the earlier similar thread and forgot to include it above.

I have now also changed the setting to:
    Shared Memory - No (From Project CARS 2)

4. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

We have a few players in our league that have the exact same issue, it's fine in P & Q then in the race they get the pause / freeze, 3- 5+ sec's. Then they can continue on (unless they crash hard & give up)
    We have also made sure all the shared mem stuff is off for everyone. (Server is a rented ded but we have also tried user hosting from members with 1gbt connections but it's the same result)
    It's the same few players every time, it happens so often (every time for these players) we are now used to it and know when it's happening because the rest of us all get a micro stutter as it happens. or we see it when we are next to one of them & it always seems to be on the first 1-2-3 laps of the race session. So, you're not alone with this.

We are currently looking for a common denominator with these players:rolleyes: as our AMS2 league race participation is dropping :(
    When we started, we had 18-20 car fields but between players getting dropped on the session change from Q to R & the freeze thing we're lucky if we get 5-7 to show up:( ....

Side note* these same players race in our other series with no issues> rF2/ACC/ AC ..

I know Reiza is aware and we hope the day MP gets looked at will come soon ...;)
    Staying positive:hurrayreiza: ..

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Matt The Sim Racers Arms Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Mark,

I have excactly the same issues and I have tried all of the recomendations and nothing works (including the suggested UDP+Shared Mem etc.). This issues happens on my brand new PC and my old one which is 5 years old!

I raced in GamerMuscle's lobbies (including one with you) on two seperate evenings 10/06/22 + 12/06/22 (UK time) and comepted in around 5-10 races (5 laps per race) each night with NO 'Screen Freezes'.

Yet, today 13/06/22 with all settings (exactly the same as before) I competed in a Lobby with GameTechUK & had a freeze half way round lap two - ruined his race & his stream!
    I jumped back onto the lobbies straight after did 10 laps of Bathurst with 15 racers & NO freeze.
    The next race 5 laps of Donno with 5 racers & got a freeze on lap 3!

I am trying to compete in midweek & weekend leagues, however I have had to resort to just practice & quali as I hate the thought that this bug could ruin someone elses race let alone mine.

I really enjoy AMS2 and if you look at my YouTube channel it is almost dedicated to AMS2, BUT I am restricted in what I can do regarding Lobbies/Streaming. Frustration has led to around 30-40 hours of experimenting with all sorts of settings/set up/equipment changes and NOTHING has worked so far.

From memory the issue for me started around February 2022 (ish).

* Current PC: Intel i7 12700 4.9GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 16Gb DDR5 3200MHz, LAN Connected. Sim Gear: Fanatec CSL DD, CSL Elite Pedals + LC.
    Old PC: Intel i7 7700 4.20GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 16Gb DDR4, LAN Connected. Old Sim Gear: Fanatec CSL Elite, CSL Elite Pedals, (Previous DFGT).

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Forgot to mention...

** When viewing a saved replay ALL other cars on track stop/freeze my car continues out of control.

*** In game I can still hear all sounds & feel FFB but have NO controls whilst the screen is frozen.

7. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Thanks for sharing the info, is there any way to encourage your 'effected' players to chip in to this post to give the it more 'gravity' and highlight how many are effected?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

For the life of me I can't see/find the option to turn off replays within AMS2!!! :mad:
    Point me in the right direction please ;):)

10. Richard appleyard

Richard appleyard AKA Neworder

Just out of interest are the freezes only happening in ranked races.It was happening to me about February but the latest Nvidia drivers sorted it do clean reinstall

11. Richard appleyard

The only things what changed for me beginning of this year there was ams2 update and a Windows update and I updated drivers all around late Jan earlie Feb .All ran great before that but like I posted clean install of Nvidia driver seems to have sorted it

12. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Hi Richard,
    Any lobby & all brand new PC and 5 year old PC :(

13. Richard appleyard

14. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  15. Richard appleyard

16. Richard appleyard

Might be worth lowering graphics capping frames under your refresh rate I got 144 Hz monitor I capped it at 100 make sure your firewall letting the game through

17. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work :(

18. Richard appleyard

Is there any setting in your router .If it's only happening online see if u can disable some of the settings

19. Richard appleyard

I also turned superfetch off in Windows also called sysmain might be worth a try tbh I tried so many things not sure what fixed it but I am sure it was a Nvidia driver from early January 2022

20. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Thanks for the tip, but nope that ddn't :(