1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and Improved: LexxVR's Custom FFB for AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Lexx VR, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

Many thanks to all the encouragement and support from everyone who tested and provided feedback on early versions of my custom FFB for AMS2 over the past month. Today I'm releasing a brand new version which is far better than what has come before, and which I believe requires no superlatives, as it will speak for itself.

NOTE: This new version is optimized for DD1/DD2 wheels and it has a lot of dynamic range in the tire scrub. This version seems to work well enough on belt and gear driven wheels according to user reports, but check for responses in this thread with recommended ams2 ffb screen settings adjustments and alternate versions of the file to suit other wheel types.

For prior version users, note the new recommended settings in AMS2: I recommend raising Gain to 61, Low Force Boost set to 30, and FX at 80. All recommended starting point settings in screen shots, please post if you have changes for your setup.

INTRODUCTION

Do you crave a more direct connection to the road?

This FFB Setup file aims to surface road texture detail, contact patch grip characteristics and tire scrub available from the SETA tire model components carried over in Automobilista 2:

Inside Project CARS Seta Tire Model – WMD Portal

When properly tuned, Force Feedback becomes part of the car's handling loop, as it allows the car to "drive itself" by following the contours of the road while automatically stabilizing itself from any upset.

Try letting the wheel jiggle in your hands to feel the tire self-aligning torque, then take turns nudging it then feeling the response from the wheel.

WARNING and TERMS OF USE:

This is a work in progress posted to the AMS2 forums with a request for community testing. In order to be licensed to test this configuration file, you agree to post your feedback as a response on the AMS2 Forum and to only test this file at your own risk. Always start by setting the FFB Force Level, the [FOR] setting in GREEN on the screenshot (or the equivalent setting on your wheel) to the minimum safe level, then slowly work your way up according to your own abilities and risk tolerance.

INSTALLATION:

Copy the configuration file (ffb_custom_settings.txt) into "This PC > Documents > Automobilista 2"

AMS2 CONFIGURATION:

On the AMS2 Force Feedback settings, choose TYPE = "Custom" and for Fanatec DD1/DD2 use the provided values for Gain (61), Low Force Boost (30) and FX (80) according to taste. I've set my FX to 80.

For other wheels, check this thread for replies with starting settings for other wheels such as SC2.

If you've ever changed it in AMS2, double check that your steering sensitivity setting is at the default value (50).

Remember that you can pause the game at any time (in single player mode) to switch FFB settings on the fly, including FFB type (if you'd like to compare against the old and new defaults) as well as Gain and FX. In multiplayer, time won't pause so you can pull over or return to the pits to access the Options menu.

Please NOTE: for more recent AMS2 builds (0.9.6.0+), override with the following ffb settings values after applying the ones in the Fanatec wheel settings screenshot provided.

First apply all settings in screenshot, then override a few specific ones with the updated values below:

Fanatec DD Wheel Settings:
    Interpolation = 3 (as of Fanatec driver v372)
    When running higher FOR values or for more smoothness, try interpolation = 4.

Sim FFB Settings:
    Gain 61
    Low Force Boost 30
    FX 85-95 (to taste, varies by car)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ZeferinoCoutinho

ZeferinoCoutinho Zef_mirror_man-zefthebestofcour

Now I ve found it! Thanks!

3. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Thanks for making this Lexx. I've tried it out on a Simucube 2 Pro and found the FX effects to be overwhelming. To get to a reasonable level used these in game values:

Gain 55 \ LFB 0 \ FX 5

It did feel good after finding some decent values though. Much easier to catch the back end stepping out on the Super V8s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

At first I felt nothing in the middle of the DD1, then i took the gain back to my last 100 value.....
    and the sun rised like a big star^^, so far on the 620R, will test Scorpii hints later, but feelings in corners so far amazing, really amazin, big thumps up Lexx!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I am sure this is not appropriate to ask here, but the author seems like he would know..

...is there a way to save the current OLD DEFAULT profile to use in the future, within the custom FFB text document? Developers say they will phase it out :(

6. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

If you choose “custom” and don’t have this file in place, the sim will write out a fresh version of the file which will contain one of the default profiles (likely the “new default” at this point) so you can tweak it yourself. If you have selected ffb type “custom” at any time prior to the latest build, you should already have the old default ffb file written out to your Documents/Automobilista2 folder. If not, you might find someone who does.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

edit: removed

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  8. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Removed

9. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton New Member

I have a Old Microsoft Sidewinder FFB wheel and this file really brings the FFB to life.
    Thank you.
    Settings are

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for creating a new FFB file...

11. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

@Lexx VR Thank you for the work you have been putting into this custom FFB file. I have made some testing with many of your earlier release versions and I have to say that this latest release version (v1.59) is so far the best, at least for me.

Although this FFB file has been optimized for DD wheels, I have not hesitated to experiment with it using my belt driven Thrustmaster wheel - which in my case is the TS-PC Racer Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition. However, using @Lexx VR 's suggested in-game FFB settings (Gain 79, Low Force Boost 0 and FX 33-39) the FFB just didn't felt good for my wheel, there were way too much rumble/rattling and vibrations present and the FFB itself felt pretty numb and damped in general. This was no surprise as the file and the suggested settings had been optimized for DD wheels.

After experimenting with the in-game FFB settings and spending some time figuring out the right combination of in-game FFB settings for my wheel I have to say that this file has made the FFB feel so lively, at least for my tastes. Now the FFB feels heavy enough (personal preference) so I can feel what the car is doing (feeling the road and it's bumps and also catch slides quite easily) and the rumble/rattling/vibration effects are not excessive anymore but most importantly they can still be felt in the wheel. These effects are now subtle enough to not distract the feel of the FFB. It is now a real pleasure to do some hotlapping in Brands Hatch GP with the Stock Car V8 (familiar track and car for me so it's a perfect combination to test the FFB, IMHO).

These are the FFB settings I use in-game with @Lexx VR 's custom FFB file installed:

Profile: Custom
    Gain: 90
    LFB: 50
    FX: 10

And these are the settings I use in Thrustmaster Control Panel:

Wheel rotation: 900º
    Master Gain: 100% (everything else are on their default settings in Thrustmaster Control Panel)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sting Ray

Sting Ray Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for this mod and also to tUMi as those suggested settings of 90,50,10 give the best understeer/brake lockup feel i have had on AMS2...am using a Thrustmaster TMX. Only tried the Ultima race car at Jerez thus far. Only issue is that when running into a gravel trap the steering is quite violent.

• Like Like x 1
  13. blanes

blanes Member

Using an Accuforce v1 Wheel and this feels better than the New Default I think but on some cars the road noise is very strong so I dial back FX.

Have not tried the latest 0.8.7 update so cannot say if the new settings there might be better again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I have issues with new default AMS 2 FFB and will try this out. Thanks for giving us another option.
    What does Reiza think of this custom FFB I wonder?

15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I like the way FX works with this custom profile; it's very easy to adjust the surface detail to preference. With an added Engine-vibes setting, I could be very happy with this ffb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Open up the file. Right at the top you'll find this:
    Code:
    (engine_scale 0.5)

Reduce that number and it should reduce the engine vibration. For reference, in the New Default it is currently set to 0.1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. c4rLo5

c4rLo5 New Member

Thanks, would to try this, but can't see the screenshots. What settings are used for DD1?

18. Lexx VR

Lexx VR Member

These are the screenshots from the .zip file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  19. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

I'm glad to hear that my in-game FFB settings worked for you as well! This custom FFB file combined with my in-game FFB settings definitely made my driving better, especially with the Stock Car V8 Brasil cars. Yesterday evening I managed to take the #1 spot on global ranking list on Brands Hatch GP in time trial mode (currently I'm in 2nd place on that track as I'm writing this post).

I was thinking that my post could be helpful for some other Thrustmaster users too who are still struggling to get the FFB to feel right. Although I have to agree with you about running into a gravel trap when using my settings, surprised me as well. Not a big issue for me personally, actually I have learned to even like that "effect". :)

EDIT: This goes a bit off-topic now but couldn't resist posting this, sorry! I just had another go on time trial mode to see if I could improve my lap time from yesterday. And I did! I managed to retake the #1 spot on global ranking list in Brands Hatch GP. Very happy! Although I'm sure it won't be long before much better drivers comes along and take the #1 spot from me for good. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Nice. Thanks. Looking forward to see the belt driven version of the file.