1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Gaming PC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deadly, Feb 11, 2021.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

As my machine is pretty much outdated and can not handle every feature in modern titles, I want to buy a new PC. Unfortunately, I did not care much about the development of hardware throughout the last years. That is why I ask you if you can give me hints what to buy.

Mainly, I am interested in 3 things:
    - Motherboard
    - CPU (Intel/AMD, I have no clue)
    - GPU

The prize is not the main thing, but of course I do not want to waste money for an extremely expensive GPU if a cheaper one does the same job. I just want to have a machine that can get along with modern racing games for some years.

Thanks for your advice.

2. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

You do need to give your available budget.

Everything is a balancing act between cost and performance; so if you want something that would get along with future releases for some years, the only thing to do logically just now would be to buy the fastest components available - whatever the price. And even with those you'd find yourself having to reduce graphics setting in ACC2 in two years time.

The best time to buy (or build) a PC is always next year. If you are buying now you really need to decide on budget before you start shopping.

3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

thanks.
    budget is no problem at all. just want to have a pretty fast machine as it is state of the art right now. but i have no idea what to buy.

4. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

That simplifies things then. i9 10900k and a decent compatible motherboard, something like an ASUS ROG Maximus XII Apex an RTX 3090.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Currently, there don't appear to be any graphics cards left in the world, so you might consider a pre-built system unless you are happy to pay scalper prices for a gpu.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I did go for a

Ryzen 5600x or a 5800x if you wanna stream.
    B450 or a B550 Motherboard
    16 GB of DDR4 3200/3400/3600mhz
    Videocard, well.. If you can get a 3070 for under 800.. Why not.

If you have a 1070 or higher you can sell them for a lot on the used market. I sold my 1070 a week ago for 300. Normally without Covid it would hover between 150 - 225 euro. So I took this situation and bought a 3070 for 740 and sold my 1070 I used for 4 years for 300. So my 3070 did cost me 440. Well technically also like 170 for my 1070. 170 : 4 years = 42.5 euro per year, lol. Ahwell.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Thank you, guys.

8. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

This was my plan from the beginning, as I did so for the first time in my life when I once bought my current machine. I will choose an offer from an online retailer where you can change components to your convenience and they assemble it for you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kzoliver909

kzoliver909 New Member

Buying Guide For Best Gaming PC For 2021
    It does not matter whether you are buying a gaming PC or a regular PC of any brand. Certain factors are common in every brand.

Specs are not the only thing that you should consider; there are several things that we have explained for you to make your purchase easier. Check out the below points that will make your investment easier :

Graphics Card
    GPU is one of the most significant decisions gaming enthusiasts make. There are many latest graphics cards in the market that we categorized for you in three.

If you want to improve your gaming skills and do not require the highest settings, then GTX 1650 and RX 5500M will be the right choice for you. They are compatible with various games.
    The best graphic cards for mainstream gaming laptops are Nvidia GeForce GTX 2060. They are the top-of-the-line components that can be used for a higher setting.
    Nowadays, RTX 3060 and 3070 have covered the market. You will get these specs in the gaming laptops ranging between $1000 to $1500.
    If you want a virtual reality experience or higher graphics, then nothing is better than RTX 2070. They are the powerful GPU in the market that you can find in gaming PC ranging between $3000 and above. You can also use this graphic card for 4K gaming.

CPU
    CPU is another significant component of your PC that you can get according to your budget. We will recommend you not to buy a computer with old version CPUs such as intel core i5.
    The benefit of choosing an optimal CPU is that you can upgrade your ram to 8GB for super fast speed. Moreover, some models in the market come with 16GB. It depends on your budget and preference.

Screen Display
    The screen display is the factor on which your gaming visualization depends. If you did not consider a monitor or LCD with your laptop screen, you might miss an optimal gaming experience.
    The screen size, resolution, and refresh rate are the attributes you need to check while considering a display screen. If your desired laptop offers a 1080p resolution, they are good enough to be used for high-end games.

Keyboard
    If you think that choosing a comfortable and convenient keyboard is enough, then you are wrong. There are so many other things to consider in laptops, especially gaming PC.

You will get a mechanical keyboard and membrane keyboard. But, keep in mind that your laptop should have less essential travel.

Actuation is another thing which is the force we apply for pressing a key. There is only one drawback to gaming laptop keyboards. They have fewer macro keys.

But, it is not an impossible thing. Some latest models in the market contain programmable buttons, which is a good option.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Unless you happy to run compromised settings at lower fps a 2070 isn't really enough. To say nothing is better than 2070 is very misleading. There are at least 10 graphics cards better and more suited to VR, heck, my 1080ti is better that 2070nand isn't really enough for a great VR experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

thanks guys. but i will not buy a laptop. a big tower is my choice. ;)

12. 2ndLastJedi

Ryzen 5000 series CPU and either 6800 (AMD) up or 3070 (nVidia) up with 16GB RAM or more. Be golden for some years with this ttype of build ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My 'buy now' finger is aching to upgrade from the 1060 I still have to either a 3060 standard or 3060ti but the prices for the ti are still getting towards 700 bucks whilst I can get a 3060 over here for 550 probably. I can justify the regular one better to the wife too lol.

How you think those cards would fare in VR paired to my Quest 2 and Ryzen 5 3600?

14. 2ndLastJedi

I was eager for an upgrade so just did the CPU, got a 10600k and turns out it was really needed and a big jump from the 7700k. That quad core was really the limit.
    So much easier tuning settings for a GPU bottleneck than a CPU bottleneck.
    Super happy with my PC again.

15. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I can run most games fluid in VR already thanks to my CPU as long as I turn down the settings. I would however jump 2 generations of GPU if I would pick up a standard 3060, so I hope that would mean a major bump in resolution and SS, seeing apexes sharper will help me out :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. 2ndLastJedi

Probably okay with the 3060 down but if going higher up the GPU line you may be limiting the card a bit.

• Like Like x 1