1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Qualifying still needs some tweaking, once the ai set a time that's about it when they should be getting faster as the track rubbers in.
    It would add so much more to the sim to watch your time slowly drop down the leaderboard, forcing you to go out again towards the end to try again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Alegunner68

90's GT1 Championship
    Cascais
    Skill 100
    Aggression 100
    Mclaren F1 GTR
    Qualified 2nd had to really push, in the race I was 9 seconds ahead after the second lap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Apex

Apex Active Member

One thing I've noticed is how the AI can somehow stay behind me once I've passed them, even when I have massive momentum. It's like they get sucked in by my exhaust pipes once I pass them.

I drive the Retro G1s a lot on the '70s tracks. If I start a 25 lap race from the middle of the grid and wait a few laps for the tyres to warm before getting cute, they spread out just fine in front of me, but I have pretty much the rest of them right up my tail. Once I've made my way up to the front, I'll often have all those I've passed right behind me.

I've also noticed they drive in clusters of 4-5 cars and can go side-by-side for several laps and not seem to be at a disadvantage through the corners. When you dice like that IRL, your lines are compromised, and you lose speed.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Alegunner68

I quit a championship race at Cascais yesterday after a tough qualy but then getting a huge lead after just a couple of laps in the race.
    The car felt great with tons of grip, but today when I tried again, (it put me straight into the race as qualy had been completed) there was no where near the grip I had before. So in this situation is the track reset back to green or does it "remember" the rubbering in from the qualy session?

5. Dan44AFCB

Dan44AFCB Member AMS2 Club Member

This is the main reason I don't race AMS2 anymore. There seems to only be 5 versions of talent for all the AI, so you get this arcade type pack AI which looks and feels very fake. Multiple changes for position over 1 lap, sometimes impossible for the player to overtake as they are 2 and 3 wide for consecutive corners.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Stock Cars in Montreal: AI goes weird lines without losing grip in order to avoid being overtaken by human. Then in the chicanes, they just go over the grass, come back to track and ram the rear tyres of human's car as it was not there, turning it around. Completely blind for human player, not even beta status one year after release. And they never get penalties for this behaviour.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

Without having gone through the whole thread, here are some of my findings:

• Car / Track used: McLaren GT1 / Porsche GT1 and probably all cars / Kyalami hsitoric
    • AI Strength setting: 105
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): last corner leading to home straight
    • AI Aggression setting: 75
    • Session Distance: 20min race
    • Weather when the issue was observed: partly cloudy
    • Player Tyre: auto selected
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): don't know
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race
    The AI is very slow through the last corner which leads to massive losses on the long straight for the AI.

• Car / Track used: GT3's, GT1's, Formula Classics / Spielberg and Spielberg Historic (more so) '77
    • AI Strength setting: 105 for GT and 95 for formula cars
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Turns 1 and 2 / Historic '77 right hander after the first right - left - right chicane.
    AI slow through these corners and breaking too early, leading to a huge loss of straight line speed for the AI and some very easy overtaking on the straights.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  8. Apex

Apex Active Member

Maybe the draft effect is a little exaggerated for the AI. 22 cars shouldn't have nearly equal lap times. In those days there were often a couple of seconds between the fastest and the slowest car.

What bothers me the most is the side-by-side thing though. It doesn't look right, and as you said, it makes it very hard to pass them even when the corner absolutely is yours.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. JPC

JPC New Member

On all tracks, with all cars, all AI strenghts/aggression, the AI doesn't pass me unless they have a ton of space, and even then, sometimes they don't. They're faster, but they shy away from passing me. Too much respect?

10. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

V.1.1.4.5 - A summary of what I have observed in some combinations:

- FRetro G2 / FClassic G1 and G2
    - AI 120% / 75%
    - Clear weather / Automatic tire selection
    - Practice 30m / Qualy 10m / Race 20m
    Report: On long straights from any track, the AI is easily overtaken, but they are fast in the corners

- FVee / Copa Uno: GoiĆ¢nia / Santa Cruz do Sul
    - AI 120% / 75%
    - Rainy weather / Automatic tire selection (Street in these cases)
    - Practice 30m / Qualy 10m / Race 20m
    Report: Excessively slow AI on wet track

Another issue for AI in general is that the times in P / Q / R do not differ. The normal would be Qualy times shorter than the race times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Formula Retro Gen1
    Interlagos Historic 1976
    Skill 86
    Aggression 50
    Clear weather
    Lotus with the default setup
    In the race (I didn't do other sessions), the AI opponents are very slow in two strange spots on straights:

1) going into the front straight. I used to be able to spin the car very easily driving the fast left hand kink (subida dos boxes?) going towards the finish line in previous versions, but not anymore. The AI take it very cautiously and I just blast past them
    2) starting a new lap right after the second fast left hander (Curva 2) the AI cars are dead slow and I just blast past the AI. Again Curva 2 used to be a real challenge not to spin, but not anymore. The AI are pussyfooting around it. They are a bit slow exiting Curca do Sol, but its nothing major. The other issues mentioned above are realism breaking when you just drive 30 kph faster than them.

I think how the AI takes the whole section after Juncao until they reach Curva 3 needs to be reviewed. Everything else seems fine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  13. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly. The same for me. They drive in a group, but is seems like they lose no speed fighting for spots. I noticed this for example with Formula Classic Gen 2 at historic Spielberg track.

14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have had a few races recently with weird AI behaviour one was at Brasilia last night in the P1 class where I lapped a car easily and then for the next 3 laps it was constantly trying to overtake me and was very aggressive when doing so. In the end it got past and then drove off into the distance, very weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Interlagos:
    AI Strength 100%
    Aggression: Various
    Cars: Various

The AI are too conservative (slow) coming out of Mergulho (circled in Blue in the picture), they don't use the curb so on approach to the last slow left hander they are far too easy to sneak up the inside and pass.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: All formula / Modern Hockenheim
    • AI Strength setting: 95
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Sachs corner (180deg left hander, turn 12 or 13 depending on who you ask)
    AI particularly slow around this corner

17. jamespoly86

jamespoly86 Member

Nurburgring last chicane, AI level 110.
    AI cars accidents in the last chicane during the race.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Swir80PL

Swir80PL New Member AMS2 Club Member

I came back to AM2 to try out my VR headset and I fell in love with the game, so spend few evenings trying out various content.
    Made quite a few notes about the AI around Cascavel:
    Every session was using the same settings, always on default car setup:
    • AI Strength setting: 100%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Varoius
    • AI Aggression setting: 50%
    • Session Distance: 6 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: sunny
    • Type of session when the issue was observed: Race

Stock Car 2017, V8 Supercar, Sprint Race(car name) :
    AI is way too fast in t1-t2. Especially through middle part. Also their line seems too wide towards the exit. AI is always overshooting entry into last corner and is slow at the exit (even sometimes slowing down at the exit). They also quite often take defensive line into last corner even if not necessary.
    I can also gain quite some time into left uphill turn at the end of sector 2 (Seis).

BMW M1 Procar:
    Same except AI seems to be doing good in last corner exit.

Chevy Omega Stock Car 1999
    They're generally slower overall. I can beat AI very easily. So t1-t2 section is well balanced this time around. They are too slow out of last corner and very slow into left uphill turn at the end of sector 2 (Seis). Can get past multiple cars.

F301 Dallara :
    I'm slightly slower than AI over a lap. I'm still much slower in t1-t2 complex, however wide exit of that section definitely makes more sense for downforce cars. I'm not gaining in Seis anymore. Exit of last corner is the only place I can gain time. AI still has over aggressive entry there as well.

I drove few other cars and generally problems are always similar in the same places. I think the biggest issue is that it looks like you're trying to use the same AI lines (file, program?) for every car you have in game. It will never work and will fall apart somewhere. Every set of corners often requires different lines from different type of cars. Of course you can keep trying adjusting stuff and it will get better, but it will quite often fall below expectations. Another problem is any physics update would make all refinements obsolete and as long as game is getting constant updates, there's no way to catch up with it. That's probably the reason that I'm almost always faster down the straights than AI.
    I wonder if there is a way for users to adjust the lines of the AI, because honestly, that is something i would like to try myself and see if it's as difficult as it seems.

19. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

• Version: 1.4.4.5
    • Car / Track used: Any GT3 class at Campo Grande
    • AI Strength setting: 95
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): pit entry
    • AI Aggression setting: 80
    • Session Distance: throughout the race
    • Weather when the issue was observed: clear
    • Player Tyre: automatic by weather
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) RACE

GT3 class race, 19 AI plus me.
    20 laps race session, no qualy, mandatory pistops on

When AI enter the pistop, several failed to drive the narrow entry path. They go wide on the first right-hand corner, try to correct and go even wider at the left-hand corner, driving through the grass, below the tent, then trying to get back to track, fail to enter the pitlane properly between the cones. Then, they get DQ.

19 AI on the race, 7 got DQ'ed when entering mandatory pitstop.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is still happening, very apparent with Super V8's Down the Conrod straight at Bathurst