1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Why, I think they should be in balance ?
    Have you some specific problems with AI performance on mind which can be solved by altering the performance halfway a race-weekend ?

2. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Yeah, until now I always either:
    1: Qualify in first easily and had a battle during the race
    Or
    2: had a challenging qualifying (starting somewhere around 3rd place or so) and was overtaken by most of the field.

Generally with the sprintrace on various tracks.

But would a nice feature anyway I think if you can tweak qualifying strength of individual AI

Have to say that I drove last time something like three weeks ago due to a bad knee injury:(

3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

When an AI is in front of player, it generally chooses some kind of "fighting line": It covers the inside of the corner or drives in the middle of the street, so that there is neither space left or right.

I understand that they do so during races, but they also act like that on their in- or outlap in training sessions, what is a bit annoying. And if player is careful in order to avoid a crash, he gets attacked from a car from behind which does obviously not care about the situation and tries to force it's way through (just to later on do that side by side thing with the guy in front for miles).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

imho this is the worst behaviour AI has. This has been going since day 0 if I'm not mistaken. It is like there is some logic holding back the overtaking AI from completing the move on the to-be-overtaken AI, so they just "fake battle" (because it really doesn't look like a battle at all, but two cars locked in their own rails) turn after turn in an unrealistic way.

I've no idea how the AI is coded in AMS2, I wonder if the AI physics is overly fake/simple and is actively impacting their behaviour in a bad way.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car / Track used: Formula Ultimate at Interlagos
    AI Strength setting: 90
    AI Aggression setting: 75
    Session Distance: 10 min quali, 10 min race
    Weather when the issue was observed: Dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Quali and Race

Formula Ultimate AI randomly slows down and stops on the front straight at Interlagos.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Car / Track used: BMW 2002T at Nordschleife
    AI Strength setting: 105
    AI Aggression setting: 75
    Session Distance: 2 laps
    The weather when the issue was observed: Dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race

As a heads up, this isn't necessarily a bug/problem, but more of a general feeling.

When trying to set my AI difficulty I'm running into some issues when assessing the different parts of the race. I did this race (as described above), for example, and there was a very big difference in how satisfying the AI behaved.
    At the start of the race, it was pure chaos. I was hit from behind, the ai made moves in corners which are very much single file, and contact was not avoided (both with me and other AI). After a few minutes, when the field was getting more spread, the AI was simply great. It behaved in a more predictable manner and was a lot more threatening because it made better decisions. This lead to some great racing in the last 75% of the race.

I don't know why, but the AI seems unable to take more than one car into account when battling, which results in chaos at the start/when the track is busy. Could this be the case? Having the AI run at slightly lower aggression settings at the start might solve this, after which it will return to its "set" aggression. I don't know for sure though. I don't know a lot about how the AI works.

7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Yes, because if you brake for an AI in front which is slow in a corner without space to overtake, the car from behind attacks as it was blind for the situation. No matter which aggression level is used.

I also hope the devs fix a few things that annoy me since day 1.
    - AI tries to avoid being overtaken or has an overtaking manoeuvre itself by cutting corners or going over the grass without any grip loss. Rather crash then let player go.
    - In braking zone, when player is already by their side, they change their racing line very often extremely late as if player was not there.

Not that stressful when driving GT, but in open wheelers they tend to hang in your tyres, turning your car around as their bolides are heavy as tanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Formula Classic G2 M2
    Track: Suzuka Classic
    Weather: Light cloud to random
    AI: 100% skill, 50% aggression
    Race type: 16 lap race, 20min practice, 15min qual, standing start
    Field: same class

AI observations
    - they are ok'ish through the first Esses (4-5) but are really slow through 6, they even seem to brake here
    - also after that uphill to Dunlop they're quite slow (7)
    - Degner is ok but they brake too early for 9 imo
    - First part of Spoon curve (13) is good but second part is bad and the AI is superslow here (14), imo this part and 6 are the two worst parts

[​IMG]

9. Flo Renz

Flo Renz Member

Car: Porsche 962C
    Track: Spa 1993
    Weather: Rain Historic Weather
    AI: 100% , 65% aggression

The Group C AI has way too much grip in the wet. They go through Eau Rouge like rockets while I was crawling through praying for grip.

10. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

Just want to bump this post. Still happening with 1.3

11. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3
    Car: Formula v12
    Track: Spielberg
    AI Strength: 95%
    AI Aggression: 50%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): pit-lane entry
    Session Distance: 6 laps with compulsory pit-stop
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Player Tyre: dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race

After coming through the 2nd last corner, the AI cars struggle to make it over to the pit-lane (probably going too fast) and most bail out as they realise they're not going to make the pit-lane entry and carry on the lap. This eventually leads to nearly the entire AI field being disqualified for not making a compulsory pit stop.

12. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.3.0.0
    Track: Silverstone 1991
    Car: Formula V10 gen 1 (other high speed cars possibly affected)
    AI: 100/50

On this combo (recommended to test with 16 AI cars), on race start, some AIs will always crash on 1st and 2nd turns and/or create collisions between themselves. This is caused by the kerbs with high slope, specific to this track: the AI is programmed to drive over the kerbs, but this does not work with old kerbs with such high slope, as it will destabilize the cars too much, causing crashes and collisions and sometimes cars flying into space. In comparison, Silverstone 2001 which has regular modern flat kerbs, does not have such problem.
    The fix would be to program AI to avoid kerbs with high slope, and in the meantime to use Silverstone 2001 as a replacement.

13. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.0.1
    Car: Opala 86
    Track: Cascavel
    AI Strength: 100%
    AI Aggression: 50%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): pit-lane entry
    Session Distance: 7 laps with compulsory pit-stop
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Player Tyre: dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race

Quite a few AI cars make a hash of navigating the winding pit entry lane and spill back out onto the track at the final left-hand turn of the lane, just before they reach the outer pit-wall. Some spend the rest of the race at that final turn of the track trying unsuccessfully to get back into the pit-lane, others end up continuing to race. This leads to numerous AI cars being disqualified for not making a compulsory pit stop.

14. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Car / Track used:
    GT1 / Kansai GP, Old Spa, Laguna Seca
    AI Strength setting: 95 (with and without custom AI)
    AI Aggression setting: 50 (with and without custom AI
    Session Distance: 20 min Qualifying, 20 laps race
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Quali and Race

AI sadly seems unchanged for GT1, still every field is the same with the Mercs being faster than the McLaren and much faster than the Porsches. For reference, On Kansai GP the slowest custom AI driver in the Mercedes with 0.81 qualifying skill is still about 0.8 faster than the fastest custom AI Porsche driver with 0.96 qualifying skill and about as fast as the fastest McLaren with 0.99 qualifying skill while being about 1.2 second behind the fastest Mercedes. So the pace difference is about 2 seconds from Mercedes to Porsche on Kansai.

15. Takfar

Takfar Member AMS2 Club Member

Car / Track used:
    Stock 2021 Interlagos GP
    AI Strength setting: 85
    AI Aggression setting: 50
    Session Distance: 5 laps race
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race

AI is still not above ramming the player's car out of nowhere (chase cam following the player's car in the GIF)

Check gif below (embedding failed, so I'm posting a link):
    Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  16. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You're in the blue car?

17. Takfar

Yes, that's me.

18. chonk

Yeah, there's nothing wrong there. No one would have to give you space in that situation. He's just sticking to the racing line and you're not far enough along the inside of him that he would have to leave space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Takfar

Well, he can't ignore the car that is in there. Either he leaves some space or willingly crashes by "sticking to the racing line". It's clear that he swerved into the player's car instead of avoiding it (he actually bumped the player's car into the wall).

20. chonk

I'm afraid there is no steward alive that would issue a penalty for that incident. That one is on you, if you look at the cars in front he's just following the same line, he doesn't slam the door shut on you, there's nothing erratic about it, it's a very fluid move you just shouldn't have your nose there. It's your job to anticipate in that position not the driver in front. The AI shouldn't just leap out of the way for no reason. If we were racing and I was the car in front I would have nothing to apologise for.

• Agree Agree x 3