1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Version: V.1.3.0.1.1894
    Car / Track used:
    Copa Uno
    AI Strength setting: 100
    AI Aggression setting: 50
    Session Distance: 60 minutes qualify / 10 min qualify / 20 min race
    Weather when the issue was observed: Dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): All

The AI is abyssally fast, doing laps more than 9 seconds faster than me. I'm not an ace driver, but my TT times are only 2s slower than the world record in this track... ok, I know that the Uninho go slower after 1.3 update, but, still, I'm not a noob with this car.

One explanation: At Interlagos it reaches 119HP (I'm not sure that is should lose that much because of altitude) even if I set the bost to 100% (what makes no difference from the 50% in the standard set) and maybe the AI is producing more.. way more... because they are faster than me, even in corners that I leave faster than them.

Another comparison is that at the same track, with the 80's Opala, I'm about 2s faster than the 100% AI. Even considering that I'm better overall with the Opala (I got some WR on TT with it), I shouldn't be 9s per lap slower with the Uninho.

OFF: Thank you a lot for fixing the gummy tires on the Uninho and Formula Fusca... the handling on these cars is amazing (despite the performance issue on the Uno)... it's one of my favorite cars ever.

Abração!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Takfar

Takfar Member AMS2 Club Member

Eh, fine then, I stand corrected. I’ll make sure to stand well away from the AI on high speed turns to avoid being murderized. =)

3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

After having done some races with several open wheelers, I observed some issues which are still there even with customised AI performance:
    -AI obviously thinks it is a must to go through corners side by side
    -they almost stand still on the apex but can than go out of corners full blast out of nothing, even if they had missed the line on entry
    -if you have overtaken an AI on the inside before a corner, it tries to force it's way through on the outside of corner exit by any means, going for contact
    - when going side by side, they always have slight moves towards player's car, like being unable to hold a straight line, which can cause a collision

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It improved a bit but yes…those issues are somehow still there, especially when two AI with similar/same strengths are racing each other.

5. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

The AI’s line into T1 of the Azure Circuit continuously clips over the pit exit line, by half a car width.
    I’ve been rear-ended by AI, when I’ve been exiting the pits, when I’ve been well within the pit exit yellow line, and I’ve seen AI cars collide with each other there too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.0.1.1894
    Car / Track used:
    Any class/Salvador
    AI Strength setting: 95
    Weather when the issue was observed: Any
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): All

AI can take the chicane before the start/finish line at incredible pace, remaining completely unfazed by the kerbs and gaining 0.5+ sec on the player. If I try to match their pace I get unseated by the kerbs and usually bin it. The AI behind the player always tries to cut the chicane at race start and usually punts them.

As a bonus, most high powered tin tops (GT3, modern Stock cars) have way too much stability and acceleration out of the big chicane in S2. I think this track has taken a dive in raceability since the latest update, it was a lot more fun in earlier releases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tpw

The Uno Classic B is similarly overpowered relative to the other cars in the Copa Classics. Front runner AI in an Uno are almost impossible to keep up with even at AI strength 95% on most tracks.

8. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

AI Overtaking issues:
    Watched the AI on the monitor doing a qualification in F_Classic Gen 2 (Customized AI) in Imola 88.
    Although some AI are some seconds faster than the backmarkers in this modification, they are not able to have a proper overtaking manoeuvre.
    Instead of pulling out of the slipstream and getting next to slow car in front and using their huge advantage in speed, they hang on the back of the slow guy on the racing line like slaves and ram the front man from time to time. After some laps, there is a long train of faster cars following the slow one without any overtaking. Not even on the fast passage from start/finish up to Tosa they get by but just hang on the backwing of the other guy, rather ram than leave the line for an overtake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Yes, overtaking seems to be a big issue in general. They behave almost the same in the race.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Next major issue: When the player overtakes AI before a chicane, they still fall in some kind of rage mode and do not give position, but cut corners full blast or come back from off the track on the outside, just forcing it's way back and ram player. They never step back. Almost two years after release!

11. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

New Version: V.1.3.0.1.1894
    Car / Track used:
    F3/Goiania
    AI Strength setting: 97
    AI Aggression setting: 70
    Description: AI is still too fast out of the last combination. Also, they are a little slower on the main straight than the player. They are braking too early for the chicane and the slower infield 180° corner, but are very fast out of it.

12. Takfar

Takfar Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.0.1
    Car / Track used:
    TSI Cup Goiânia
    AI Strength setting: 85
    Session Distance: 5 laps race
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race

T1 after start. AI cheekily going off-course AND nudging player car. (GIF on the link below)
    Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

13. jamespoly86

jamespoly86 Member

I would like to report these problems:

AI vs AI: difficulty to overtake between AI cars. AI cars remain attached between them for long time, also with DRS. This is a problem also in qualifying sessions, not only in the race.

AI vs player: AI car gets too close to the player and in formula cars are too aggressive respect other categories.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

There's definitely a problem with AI at Donington Park (both layouts)

AI cars are very slow at several corners, most notably at corners 5-6-7, but also at corners 3 and 12.

Donington Park - Wikipedia

15. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

While watching the replays of AI driving open wheelers, I saw that their overtaking often is poor, because they have problems to keep the lateral distance to the car in front (what the player also gets to feel from time to time:whistle:).
    So, they want to pull out and get to the side of the car in front, but because of not keeping enough distance, they touch the rear tyres of the other guy, lose speed and step back from overtaking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dicra

So I just tried Cleveland in V 3.1.0 with the CART cars, and, surprisingly, the AI is too early on the brakes (especially in the last chicane, where they are also too slow in general and first corner) and too quick on the throttle (out of both these corners and also slightly out of the second 90° corner at the back end of the track).

Like ... is this something that can't be fixed within the current AI driving model? How is it possible that it's ALWAYS the same problem, even on new tracks?

This AI could be so great if it didn't feel like it was driving in an alternate dimension in terms of physics.

EDIT: AI are also too quick (gaining about half a second) out of the third to last corner in Watkins Glen (a track where they work very well otherwise!).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. tpw

Version: V.1.3.1.0
    Car / Track used:
    Any car | Watkins Glen
    AI Strength setting: 98
    Session Distance: 5 laps race

AI get some kind of magic catapult uphill and through turn 4 onto the back straight, and can easily make up 0.5 sec on the player.

18. Dicra

Cannot confirm this for the CART.

19. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

Version: V.1.3.1.0
    Car / Track used:
    DPI/GTE/GT3 Multiclass | Daytona
    AI Strength setting: 104
    AI Aggression setting: 90
    Session Distance: 30 min race

In contrary what I saw in videos and what AMS2 was like when this pack came out, I was not unnaturally faster in the straights, so big thumbs up :) I was in the M8 GTE starting last from class, 31 AI total. I managed to get up to the leading trio who were doing the usual AMS2 close battling, while the rest of the field was spread out nicely. Anyway it was close racing until blue flags came into our race, and my rival GTEs were incredibly nice to let me past together with the DPIs. So long story short, blue flag driving should be tweaked to not be this much lenient, maybe with some conditions "if directly behind is another class of car I don't park at the side of the road". This way the slower class cars together with the player who wants to race by the book, would yield one by one after each other, and not like the leader of the group yields while others of the same class are behind.

Another side thing I observed, there is a clear performance difference between AI cars of the same class. This race all the BMWs were behind by a mile. When catching GT3s all I saw were McLarens at first, similarly.

Another thing to add, but this is really not breaking anything, on the cooldown lap AI drivers of different classes have different speeds. But since they are not allowed to overtake, trains of GT3/GTE/DPI were created, like 10 cm between them following each other. Also, DPIs died on the cooldown lap, probably fuel calculation issue.

20. tpw

Try a tin top