Pit Exit arrows - can they be turned off?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by wowbagger, Mar 11, 2016.

1. wowbagger

wowbagger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry, I've searched in the usual places, but haven't figured this out. Can the pit exit direction arrows be turned off? They kill the immersion for me a bit and I don't find them necessary at all. I'm sure it's something obvious that I have just overlooked. Maybe in the plr file?

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tommi

Tommi Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, Pudu.
    This might be interesting from the standpoint of "immersion" as you said. I edited a small Mod to disable "Pit Exit Arrow".
    I uploaded the file here.

*** Download ***
    Automobilista No Pit Exit Arrow Mod.7z

This Mod works on both "Automobilista" & "Stock Car Extreme".
    Please read the Readme and try this one. If there is any problem, please let me know.
    Hope this works. :)

Automobilista No Pit Exit Arrow.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. wowbagger

Brilliant mate!

I grabbed it and will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for making this available.

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tommi

Thanks for your reply, Pudu.
    I attached a screenshot to show how this Mod works. And I'm glad to hear this is what you want.
    This Mod is very easy to install/uninstall. And we can enable/disable "Pit Exit Arrow" at any time.

Personally, I like AMS's new Pit Exit (Orange) Arrow because it is simple, beautiful and easy to understand which way to go. (Thanks to Reiza for this new design.)

Also, I've tried and found "No Pit Exit Arrow" is nice for immersion, too.

So, I'm going to use "both" as needed. :)

Thank you!

5. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree: arrows are not perfect for immersion but can be useful. I just tried Johannesburg Historic for the first time yesterday (shame on me, yes), and I was really happy to see the arrows; I would have spent a bit of time looking for the track entry without them! Of course you always have the solution to follow an another car… :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tommi

Thanks for your reply, alex.
    Also for me, it's sometimes hard to find the entrance to the pit. And in that case, I always "follow an another car". It's the same for the Joker Lap in Rallycross on the new track so that I won't get disqualified. :)

7. wowbagger

I tried it out and it works brilliantly. Thanks so much - it's exactly what I was after!

Now I will be completely ungrateful and ask another favour. If you are poking around in the uiData in the future and notice the name of the double downwards arrows graphic which marks the pitbox when you park, would you be so kind as to post the name here? I was thinking of messing around with replacing it with something like one of these guys:

[​IMG]

I used to do some UI editing for rFactor many years ago, but those days are past me now and I can just about manage photoshop.

Oh, also you can remove me from the readme - I can take no credit for the idea or the execution of your excellent work, but I appreciate the thought. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tommi

Thanks for your reply, Pudu.
    I'm glad to hear the Mod worked. :)

"Pit Exit Arrows" and "Pit Stop Arrow" are packed in "pits.mas" file, not in "UiData" folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Automobilista\GameData\Scripts\pits.mas

I've just tried, but the default Pit Stop Arrow's position is too low to show the Pit Lights you attached. And I had to edit the base model to move the Pit Lights to the higher position.

Here are the screenshots of the current progress.
    (BTW, thanks for letting me know the good Pit Lights textures. :))

AMS_Pit_Light_WIP_01.jpg
    AMS_Pit_Light_WIP_02.jpg

It's floating! :D

The Mod needs some more work to make it possible to adjust the Pit Lights' position more flexibly. Please give me some time. :)

And about the credit, personally I think the modding is based on the efforts of the community. Without the base game and the modding tools, I could have done nothing. And without your posts, I could not have the ideas of these Mods. Thanks again for your consideration. :)

• Like Like x 4
  9. wowbagger

Man, you are amazing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted you do this work. But for the sake of the community, it's clearly better that you're on the case instead of me. :p Apologies for the quick and dirty crop of the electronic lollipop. But somehow you've made it look really good!

• Like Like x 1
  10. daguru

daguru Member AMS2 Club Member

Cheers @Tommi
    Works great ( I also used your files just renamed them to remove the pit arrows ) so I only see the red box on the ground looks much better now cheers again

Dag

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tommi

Thank you, Pudu. Yes, I knew you had no intention. :)
    First, I thought of sharing the default unpacked & decrypted "pits.mas" files. And I checked the upper range that Electronic Lollipop was displayed. And I noticed it was a bit too low and I/we had to edit the base model (.GMT file) higher. Then I started to work on it so that you and everyone can adjust the position of the Electronic Lollipop only with Photoshop.
    I should have explained this background, but it was a bit long story and I did not, I'm sorry.

And thanks to your information, I could find the original picture of Ferrari's Electronic Lollipop on the web and use it as a base.

Once again, thanks for your consideration! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tommi

Thanks for your reply, daguru.
    I was not sure that "No Pit Stop Arrow" was also necessary. And yes, it's possible by renaming the file to "PITSTOPS.DDS". I'm going to add it next time. :)
    Thanks again!

13. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How do you open/unpack a mas file?

14. daguru

daguru Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tommi

Hello.
    I've completed "2D Pit Light" and uploaded the file here.
    (It took more time than I'd expected. I'm sorry the release is late.)

Automobilista 2D Lollipop Man & Pit Light.7z

This time, I added "2D Lollipop Man" in this Mod. It was edited based on the in-game image from Codemasters F1 2012. (Thanks to Codemasters, Fergo and Petar Tasev aka Ryder25.)

2D is 2D, and please don't expect too much of the quality in-game.
    I hope you enjoy the atmosphere of the Lollipop Man & Pit Lights. :)

For further information, please refer to the Readme.
    This forum is not the right place to talk about the modding. I'll post the file on RaceDepartment if I update the Mod next time.
    Thank you. :)

2D_PitLight_1.jpg
    2D_PitLight_2.jpg
    2D_PitLight_3.jpg
    2D_PitLight_4.jpg
    2D_PitLight_5.jpg
    2D_PitLight_6.jpg
    2D_PitLight_7.jpg
    2D_PitLight_8.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. gongo

gongo Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

-

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tommi

Thanks for your kind words, gongo.
    It is not allowed to post 3D things from other games, so I tried to edit 2D Lollipop Man this time.
    I've been playing GSC for many years, but not thought of this idea. All thanks to Pudu's suggestion.
    In the screenshots, it looks natural. But in-game, they are very flat. :D
    Have some fun kind of stuff though I'm glad if you like it.
    Thanks again! :)

18. wowbagger

I've just had a chance to fire up AMS and give this a try. It's brilliant! I like this so much better than floating arrows. Plus you spoiled us for choice too. Excellent work. Thanks so much for making this available, it's exactly the kind of thing that was needed.

Love it, cheers. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tommi

Thanks for your kind words, Pudu.
    I'm enjoying the atmosphere of the 2D Pit Light. Thanks again for sharing a good idea. :)
    A brand new "Driver Model & Animations" feature was announced. And hopefully we can see the new 3D animated Pit Light & Pit Crews in the future update or in the next title. :)

Cheers!

Tommi

20. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Can you have a pit crew member for exit too???