1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, give VR some love

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Helleno, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Helleno

Helleno Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok, ok... Maybe the title sugest but this is not a post questioning about Reiza's care about his games. AMS1 already proved how much love this little studio can put in his work. We are all very glad with the news of AMS2 and it is impossible to hold our hype when looking to how able Reiza's little team is and what could be achieved when this team works in a top engine like the one they choosed. I met AMS1 very late once I started in sim racing not a long time ago and, being brazilian, I have to say I am very proud that we have here one of the best simulations out there. Race in our closer categories and tracks, in a so good quality level, is a rare oportunity and a gift when we are in a country where game development market is just not big as in USA, asia or Europe.

But, in another way, I just could not hold myself in bring this topic to the table. I already knew that Reiza was a small team but when I found out that it is about 20 employes... OMG, I am not used to game development but looks like a lot of work to do in a year! I will be a "day 1" or "early access" buyer of AMS2, no doubt. Yes, I know what to enter in a early access means. But let me give an example... I was a early access player in ACC too since the first day they released they VR support. And, right at the first hours, when I played ACC in VR and saw their roadmap I thought "Oh, no". The reason was simple, they had too much things to do and there was no way they could polish every single piece of the game into the deadline. Offcourse, I could bet they would cut work in some front that would be in VR mode because it was for a restricted niche of players inside the game. Maybe they thought "ok, VR is just there in UR engine, it will be simple" but looks like it was much more people/resource expensive than they expected. There is something about they AA that just do not works and blur everything... and it is since first days of early access. Now we have the 1.0 version and, voilĂ , they VR have a lot of problems of the early access and is one of the most unpolished part of the game... some may disagree but, to me, I just canot enjoy the game that way.

I am sure these are two different cases with two different teams and, mainly, I think the SMS engine will be much better polished to a VR racing game than UE was... But I could not stop myself to put here, in some words, my better wishes to Reiza's team and the advice (sorry, being a little pretentious here) to not underestimate the problems that can appear in VR front. I don't understand of game development but looks like, at some point, other teams already was suprised for how hard can be to polish VR experience. So, please look to VR with some love, some of us really need this ;).

Congrats to the new tittle anouncement. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. week

week New Member

I agree with you. I can't play without VR anymore, and that's my problem with AMS1. I love the game, but for me is impossible to play because that reason.

Fortunately, it seems that Madness engine works fine in VR (Project Cars 2 is a good example). Kunos are working on a brand new engine, wich it wasn't never tested in VR, but i think Reiza won't have that problem. I hope.

3. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Your a bit mistaken with that quote, VR has long been used in Unreal Engine based games and works very well in some of them (just not that good in ACC at time of writing), the engine is relatively new to kunos and therefore VR implementation needs more work. :)

4. week

week New Member

You're right, I was confused :p. Anyway, the point is the incredible implementation of VR in Project Cars, were the graphics and the performance are wonderful. I hope Reiza guys will be able to do their best effort into this area.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wilson Santos

Wilson Santos Member

They did better already :) check it out :D

6. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

Agree, VR 100%. I think we can squeeze some more optimization from this title. Not bad for a EA release, but don't stop here!!