1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please improve mouse steering implementation

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Clarity, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Clarity

Clarity New Member

I just registered and hastily looked if this was discussed before and while it seems like it has I still want to touch on it.

I owned a g27 and until autumn of this year, a t300 which I had to send back and due to the current situation I will be getting a refund so no wheel for some time (And I'm not paying more than 400 euros for T-GT for some more refinment and a bit more strenght with better cooling or slightly less for TS-PC and having to buy everything but the base and rim separately) so mouse steering it is.

AC is great with mouse steering, ACC is okay if your framerate and general performance is fine (which for me it is unless I race more than 8 AI cars or go online in which case there's input lag) but in AMS2 it's unusable.

So, devs. I'd be very grateful for a good responsive implementation of mouse steering, bonus points if you make throttle and brake flexible and tweakable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I've great respect for people who play with mouse. Like Handy. He's awesome. But somehow it's also time to be realistic and think about it. You do had a wheel, but now not anymore. So.. perhaps it's time to let AMS 2 go and play others games that use a mouse as input. It's like playing guitar and ask people who fabricate them to also make guitars playable with piano-keys.

As a minority you've to accept things aren't going as you want.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

It's amazing how some people are willing to drive people away from the AMS community. As if this community would have enough people to loose them.o_O

4. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You don't have to ask anymore, it is arranged a long time ago,
    1-Ample-Guitar-M-Lite.jpg
    I know AMS2 is very immersive, but i have to reveal, It is simulated ;)
    I think you are to harsh, I can imagine me playing AMS on a laptop with a mouse if I was forced away from home for some time, and it would be nice if it is working fine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I guess this explains why some people in MP look like they’re driving mouse and keyboard. Its cuz they are literally driving mouse and keyboard!

6. Clarity

Clarity New Member

If it worked properly, you wouldn't be able to tell. Maybe based on fairly rough throttle and brake inputs but that is hardly a limiting factor (though it does make going fast more challenging as you can't smoothly accelerate or trail brake).

7. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Lol.

I have other sims to play so it's not really an issue but it would be nice to either not have the option (and there are workarounds but why would I have to do that) or have it work properly.

If I had a wheel it wouldn't be a problem and when I buy it again it won't be a problem for me personally.

I'm also not demanding it be fixed right now as I know Reiza has a priority list.

Still find your comment funny and perhaps even a bit covertly condescending.

But I will congratulate you and others who replied on being mature enough to be reasonable and not act in immature fashion on such a topic like sim-racers usually do.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Would a gamepad / controller be a better option ? Surely that would give you more fidelity of control than a mouse and keyboard ?

9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@Clarity I am not saying I am superior or so. I am a minority in real life; disabilities etc. I am just saying you're playing racing-sims with an inputdevice that's not made for those games. It's like I ask Blizzard to implent Wheel-support for Diablo II: LoD, so I can sit layback in my rig and play with Diablo with my setup, lol. Sometimes you've take a few steps back and accept things are just things. But if Reiza make mouse-steering better within AMS 2, that's awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Throttle only. Only thing superior to a mouse is a wheel. You will never be as quick and precise with a pad as you can be with a mouse. I mean, you can be but technically speaking it's not possible due to mechanical reasons.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  11. Clarity

Clarity New Member

I don't know how far back mouse steering support goes in racing sims and how many have it, but it's been there for a while. It's absolutely not the same as using a wheel in diablo, that's just an inconvenience and possibly a serious obstruction. Mouse steering isn't, it's the best thing after a wheel. But yes, if they implement it well, good and if not they should at least remove it because it's just bad in it's current state.

12. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Mouse steering wheel with Live for Speed is super great.

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Mouse steering works fine for me but, I have to hold him up constantly so he can reach the wheel.

Sorry, just couldn't resist. :p:D

• Funny Funny x 4