1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably an easy steering question..

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Elcid43, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello everyone,

I am not really up on what a lot of the settings do and usually shy away from some things for fear of makings things worse lol. That said, is there a way to make the steering "quicker" in the game? Basically, make the car turn more with less input. I have steering sensitivity set at 100.

Have an OSW on mmos if that makes any difference.

Thank you

2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Reduce the steering ratio.

You could also adjust your wheel settings and gimmick the calibration.

3. Elcid43

Ok, I am embarrassed to ask but, how would I do that?

4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont have a clue how an OSW wheel does behave - but you could start by setting your steering sensitivity to 50 which is linear (= same wheel correlation in the middle and at extreme wheel turning).
    Because if you use a wheel sensitivity of 100 it is max unlinear.

ByTheWay: The word "sensitivity" is completely misused in the menu because this setting has nothing to do with sensitivity.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,

In setup first screen on left is steering ratio...increase that number.,

• Like Like x 2
  6. steelreserv

Adjusting the wheel sensitivity is cringy

7. Elcid43

I only did it because I thought it was the setting I needed to change. Some of this stuff is confusing and counterintuitive.

8. steelreserv

It's not something I'd suggest getting used to.

Its really not that confusing or counterintuitive. Its a racing "sim" for a reason. People expect certain degrees of realistic setups for cars and steering ratio is one of them.

It seems you have an idea of what you want but don't know how to get there.

Try a google search for your wheel to set you steering "lock" and adjust it per preference. Use the in game calibration tool to make sure that lock is working properly/matching. (Steering "lock" is the maximum the steering will turn in either direction. You might have heard something like "full opposite lock" watching racing or sim racing on youtube, this is what that means.) This should be your primary change. This will maintain a degree of consistency no matter what car you drive. Purely personal preference.

Steering ratio for each car can be adjusted as well. Its simply the number of degrees of wheel turn vs degrees the tires pivot. So for example 26:1 means 26 degrees of steering wheel rotation for 1 degree of tire pivot.

You will have to fiddle with both as they work together. Done right, you will get the turning degrees you need, and at the same time the steering wheel graphic in cockpit view will match your real life hands. Otherwise it can be distracting, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Steelreserv....when I reduce the number in steering ratio, it takes more wheel turn to make a corner. Isn't that opposite of what u said?
    The first thing I do in most setups is set it as high numericly as I can go.
    I'm confused:)
    Thanks

10. steelreserv

That is a mystery to me.

11. BrunoB

Dont be (confused) - because your observation is correct.
    Max number = fastest and highest turning of the virtual wheel compared to your turning of your plastic wheel :p
    But thats also how at least I read @steelreserv ;)

12. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, you are right, With a low ratio the wheels turn in less quick then with a higher ratio.

This isn't the case, if you follow this thought, You say 20 makes the wheels "pivot" faster, you only need to turn the wheel 20 degrees for 1 degree tire "pivot", it's exactly the other way around.
    ( you have to multiply the steering angle with the ratio (and some unknown factor) to get the wheel angle)

13. Elcid43

So, if I want a quicker steering ratio, up the degrees then, correct? I never use the virtual wheel (my car in real life only has one wheel and two hands) as I am not using VR and really only drive open wheeled so I like it very "twitchy" if you will.

Guess this was maybe just a little confusing then:oops:

14. BrunoB

But your conclusion is correct :)
    Conserning your double wheel comment then principally you are ofcourse right.
    But I think its more a matter of personal habit - because I use (subconsciously :D) the virtual wheel to check how "hard" Im turning the virtual steering.

ByTheWay: But maybe I should try without displaying the virtual wheel. Maybe there is hiding some msecs per lap :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Elcid43

If I am anything to go by, maybe not! :D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you hold your steering wheel in the same position.....

Higher Values tighten (decrease the radius) the turning circle, lower values loosen (increase the radius) the turning circle of your car

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. steelreserv

what i wrote is literally the definition of steering ratio. Its not hard to find out.

if in ams2 its the opposite, whatever, just increase it then.

EDIT: I havent played ams2 in a while and discovered the mixup. They dont use ratio. They use lock. Ratio (like other games) you reduce the left side. (ie 20:1) to decrease the turning input. Apologies for the confusion, I forgot they represented it in this way.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020