1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R/AskReizaForum4Febuary

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dylan Hale, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

R/AskReizaForum

Last month we talked Cheese.
    This month, let's talk about your diecast toy car collections? What do ya'll have?

2. Dylan Hale

To answer my own question, I've got a collection of somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000 hot wheels cars, 90% of those being out of the box. I'm in the process of getting display cases for them all but this is proving to be a generally unenjoyable experience.

I've got a few hundred in the box, mostly duplicates, special editions, and a few others. I mostly collect "real" racing cars, I.E.
    -Any vehicle with a number or place for a number
    -Any car with a wide body kit or roll bar/cage
    -Any car with prominent sponsor logos
    -Any vehicle thats obviously based off a real racing car but isn't because Mattel doesn't have the license.

I've recently started collecting Hotwheels premium models and Mini GT models due to their connection with IMSA. Mini GT is pretty incredible detail wise, and most importantly 90% of the cars roll freely.

My other larger sub categories I collected include
    -Dawn of the Supercar (80's-90's exotic sportscars)
    -Homologation Specials (Street cars sold so the race cars were legal)
    -Apple Pie and Colt 45's (Super muscle cars)

I also have a couple of Jeff Gordon COT 1/24th scale models I got as presents. A 1/18th scale GTD Lexus model I got from my trip to the Mid Ohio IMSA race last year. A nicely detailed 1/32 Viper and Bugatti I randomly found at a gas station, and a handful of 1/43 cars I use on my model train set.

Other neat things. I have a Mountain Dew Nascar racing family hood from the 90's, a couple very nice paintings from the Drivers Road, whenever I get home, I've got a brand new thrustmaster wheel waiting for me! Yay!

Things I'm still on the look out for.
    I need to get a Goodsmiles Racing AMG eventually, preferably multiple. I need to get some more group C cars for my "Lemans Legends" display case, and I really want a few 1/18th indycars and 1/24 nascars despite having no where to put them. So yeah.

3. JAGLeMans

JAGLeMans Member

Started collecting Spark 1/43rd's about a year ago. I used to have a large collection of 1/18's years ago before selling them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Love the TS010. So I thought I'd start with its younger brother and some other LeMans beasts :)
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. BartZ

Do I see a Toyota 88C-V there? :) Great car! I've built two plastic Tamiya kits. Original Minolta and my own matt black take on it.

[​IMG]

A Tamiya kit especially for you, JAGLeMans:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. TimberWolf429

TimberWolf429 BANNED BANNED

I would post potos, but their file sizes are too large, I don't have much for a Diecast collection, it's mostly movie cars, but I do have a sizable Hobby Grade RC collection, most are my own personal builds. I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 43 rigs, and a large majority are either Ford, or CrossRC, but I have at least one RC4WD, and a couple Axial, and Traxxas rigs.

7. BartZ

Some road going golden oldies
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dylan Hale

What a unbelievable collection my friend. Some incredible peices in there for sure. I've always wondered through, given the prevalence of 1/64th and 1/24th scale vehicles, why did sparky do mostly 1/43rd for their lemans models?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dylan Hale

Gotta love the Jaaaaag

10. JAGLeMans

JAGLeMans Member

1/24th isn’t really collected outside the US. 1/43rd & 1/18th are the most popular scales.

I used to have a large 1/18th collection but the space requirements and increasing cost put me off. I’ve narrowed down my collecting to the latest LMH/LMDH cars, Group C/GTP, Group A Touring Cars, Group B Rally Cars.

11. Erzurum

Erzurum Salvador Street Circuit Fan

Let's say I want to start a small collection !

What brand would you suggest to begin with and what scale ? (If I have not much space and live in Europe).
    I've always wanted to have some models but I've never actually did it. :oops:

12. Dylan Hale

1/64th is probably the world's most popular scale due to its size. Thats roughly HO or OO scale in toy train talk.

As for brand, that really depends on your likes and budget. Tomica Limited Vintage out of Japan are the top of the flag pole on both quality and price. Their partnership with Ferrari has made some most sought after Toy Cars ever and some sell for hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Normal Tomica cars are also very cool, as they all have working suspension systems. However, they don't build to a scale unlike other manufacturers. They just build the car however big it can be and still fit in the box, and they mostly focus on normal Japanese street cars.

Mini GT is my quality to value winner right now. Normally $10/15 a car, but I've paid $50 for a couple rare ones recently. They're extremely high quality and still roll freely. They also have a partnership with IMSA and Libertywalk and make some SUPER cool custom models every now and again.

Tarmac Works is another good shout in that $10/30 price range. They have 2 sub brands, Hobby (which don't roll but are extremely detailed with rubber tires) and Global (which have plastic tires and are slightly less detailed but roll freely and are cheaper.)

Hot Wheels Premium/Boulevard/Team transport Are perfect for beginners and people who have very broad car tastes and or have small children around and cannot trust them to not break off the delicate peices. Normaly $5-10 a car. $15-20 for a car hauler and car $20-50 for a multi pack. Lots and lots of verity, very tough, and Mattel has been dumping a lot of money into cool new models.

Then we come to normal Hot Wheels or Matchbox, which are still fun to collect and play with. Normal $1-2 and indestructible.

Edit, forgot a couple

Johnny lighting and Auto World are your goto's for American muscle and odd 90's cars. Sadly some roll, some don't, all look nice and have moving parts, but they can be a pain in the ass to manipulate.

Lionel racing makes Nascar diecast. Overpriced and poor quality control IMO.

Greenlight makes Indycar diecasts and some other random stuff. Their cars seem oversized for 1/64th for some reason.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. BartZ

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Does this count?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dylan Hale

Holy dinosaurs batman.

16. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Hehe. I am more into dinosaurs than cars. But I love racing, tho.

17. JAGLeMans

JAGLeMans Member

Take a look at these two stores to see what’s available. In 1/43rd you can get pretty much every road & race car. 1/18th also has a good selection but can be very expensive. 1/64th are increasingly popular for road & race replicas. Although many of the releases are focused on the Asian brands & market.

Modelcars shop - raceland - motorbike models racing movies motorsport books racing fanshop

CK-Modelcars - your shop for modelcars

• Like Like x 1
  18. BartZ

One of the greatest... IMO:)
    [​IMG]

PS. If I could have an AMS2 wish.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. BartZ

Exoto 1/18 and HPI 43 scale box set

[​IMG]