1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reiza July 2019 Development Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

013.jpg
    Hello everyone! We are back with another Dev Update to bring you the latest news about our active projects.

This has been another very busy month for the team, and possibly (hopefully!) the last in which we have worked in 3 different sims simultaneously (AMS1, rF2 & AMS2). It´s fair to say switching back and forth from engines doesn´t make things easy for the devs who are involved in all these fronts, so kudos to them for continuing to push hard in order to bring us up to the status I can now present to you :)

On rF2 there´s not much news yet as we´re still working on small update for the Bundle to fix a few remaining issues. This should not take long now.

For AMS1, we also didn´t quite make to release before the end of July as we had been aiming for, but August will surely see the release of Snetterton and Donington Park as final DLC items for Automobilista 1, along with a small patch for a few tweaks and minor bug fixes.

Both Snetterton and Donington have been modelled with the aid of LIDAR data and are along with the previously released brit tracks some of our most accurate models.

Here´s a preview of Snetterton in AMS1:
    AMS002.jpg

The main focus remain of course in Automobilista 2 and things continue to come along strongly there too, with a bunch of fresh cars and tracks being brought up to spec for the new engine as you´ll see peppered through this Dev Update :)
    011 (1).jpg
    AMS1 vs AMS2 - Ultima GTR @ Snetterton Comparison

We found ourselves in an unusual position the last couple of months as we developed the same content both for the old title (AMS1) and the new one (AMS2) at the same time, as both Snetterton and Donington Park are being released as DLC for AMS1 and will be part of the base game in AMS2. It made for some interesting back and forth, and we thought it was worth putting together a comparison video. Check it out:

Opinions may and will vary as they always do and obviously nothing from the AMS2 video is quite the finished article yet, but in any case we found it made for an interesting comparison. From a devs POV we left the experiment feeling both reassured that the old dog AMS1 was well put together and is still holding up, at the same time with confidence that AMS2 moves every front up a notch or three in the right direction and with lots of room for improvement still.

The most improved part is actually the physics as this is one of the cars that drive substantially better in AMS2, although you can´t see that in the video :)

It will take a few months still until you all can compare for yourselves but at least there will be some fresh AMS1 content to race with in this time!

Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit coming in AMS2!
    Home Page-min.jpg

We are happy to be wrapping up a licensing deal with the historical Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit which will see the track featuring in multiple versions from its rich history as base game content in Automobilista 2.

The recently upgraded Kyalami is located in Johannesburg SA, it has hosted the South African Grand Prix several times from the 60s all the way to the 90s, and as a Grade 2 FIA certified track it is currently one of the few viable options for a future return of F1 to the african continent.

Kyalami will feature in Automobilista 2 release with its latest revision along with the sweeping, high speed historical 1976 version, with the 1992 version to be added post-release.

This is an exciting deal for us as not only it highlights our goals of expanding the horizons for Automobilista 2, but also from a sim perspective it adds an interesting challenge as the track is located over 1500m above sea level. In AMS1 we unfortunately didn´t get around to completing our thermodynamic model, but with AMS2 we luckily have that out of the box as part of the Madness engine so when racing in Kyalami players will have to contend with the extra challenge of a high altitude location and the resulting sigificant toll in engine and aerodynamic performance.
    017 (1).jpg

Sprint Race also coming in AMS2
    AMS2_SprintRace.jpg
    Sprint Race is a new brazilian series which we are excited to officially include in Automobilista 2.

Managed by ex driver Thiago Marques, the series offers a low budget entry point for new drivers and has remained a healthy popular series for several years now. It has recently made its first venture abroad for races in the USA.

Powered by a 260HP V6 engine with RWD, sequential 6-speed shifter and with a central driving position, this car serves as an excellent training tool for several types of racing and should be a perfect option for door-to-door action.

022 (1).jpg
    A reminder that you can already pre-order Automobilista 2 through the AMS2 Early Backing Campaign. We´d like to thank everyone who already bought in, the extra revenue stream is most helpful and it´s being put to good use with some fresh licenses already secured and others already lined up. More information on this program and how to participate here.

If you are looking forward to Automobilista 2 but would rather wait for release, you may opt instead to add the game to your Steam wishlist via the AMS2 Steam Store page - Steam will then let you know as soon as it´s released.
    032.jpg

We got some more exciting news coming up but these we have to save for next month. Look forward to catching up again then, possibly a little earlier than usual :)
    AMS003.jpg

EDIT: Given some concerns following our AMS1 vs AMS2 comparison earlier this week, we´ve elected to do a new video of Automobilista 2 featuring the Ultima GTR Race spec in a couple of laps around Snetterton, running a more advanced version of the game and of that particular car / track combination - check it out:

Capture has a higher bitrate which is more accurate to the game´s actual graphical quality. Other differences in this new video include improvements to track lighting, updated road and foliage shaders, revised textures; smoothed cockpit model edges & updated materials; adjustments to audio code, rebalancing of engine sounds and various sound effects (also replacing a few placeholders used in the original video); updated physics and increased game graphical settings.

Should be stated perhaps that this still isn´t the most exciting car / track combo or settings to promote AMS2 which wasn´t really the point of the original video - obviously we miscalculated how closely people would be looking :p

This is a better representation of AMS2 in its current stage of development but it´s still a WIP - things will change as we progress to release and continue to afterwards. Such is the nature of the thing :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 30
    • Friendly Friendly x 25
    • Winner Winner x 13
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Eduardo Mennocchi

Eduardo Mennocchi Racecar driver wannabe AMS2 Club Member

3. heideracer

heideracer New Member AMS2 Club Member

wow! But..

...the low poly model of the F3 doesn't fit well in the new engine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Lucas Popoatzki Neto

Lucas Popoatzki Neto New Member AMS2 Club Member

Great news... I'm looking forward for more, hehe

5. Alexandre Amirizian

Alexandre Amirizian New Member AMS2 Club Member

Everything looks great! I’m glad to see Reiza get their hands on a more recent engine. Let’s hope the partnership with SMS allows them to get new content. I can already see Monaco. That Sprint car looks cool ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. north

north New Member AMS2 Club Member

Kyalami. :hurrayreiza:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Great news so far!
    Just a quick question...on comparison vid, the last part, PC2 Ultima seems to wobble a lot more while turning...looks like suspensions are more sensible...it's me?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks promising so far. Would love for future updates to discuss things like AI developement

9. Óscar Melero

Óscar Melero foxtochop AMS2 Club Member

Can't wait :hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Very cool :D

11. Mad Al

Mad Al Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice to see the memorial included at Snetterton... BTW, did SMS supply the texture assets for Snetterton..?

12. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

That Superkart. Loved it in pCARS1

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Its years since I've driven the modern Kyalami in a sim, but I do remember enjoying driving there. Great addition.

I enjoyed the comparison video too. Snetterton perhaps flatters older graphics engines as the trees are a long way away and there are not many shadows on the track, and not too much to reflect off the car paintwork ether. When you compare driving under the bridge then you see how in AMS2 the bridge is reflected on the paintwork and the bridge casts a shadow. I also prefer the sound in AMS2 as I prefer the sound of an engine to the sound of a transmission. I have no idea which is more realistic, but it wouldn't surprise me if transmission is less obtrusive in a mid-engined car with the engine being so much closer to the driver.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Big_Mama

Big_Mama Ben Suttor AMS2 Club Member

Wow!! :eek::eek: This makes me so excited! I think the new graphics work very well so far, they feel very AMS'ish already. Some polish here and there, and it will be perfect! I believe in you, and I really think that AMS2 will surpass everyone's expectations!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Big_Mama

Big_Mama Ben Suttor AMS2 Club Member

Btw, watching the video, I think AMS2 seems to give a much better feeling for the weight of the car. I really like AMS1 physics, but I was always under the impression that at least some cars felt too... "light".

Ah, will there actually be an option to turn the steering wheel and/or hands off?

16. kodnin

kodnin Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I was wondering about the same thing.

17. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

All good and promising, congrats for your progress, but the sound of AMS2 does not seem to have the wow factor that many of us PCARS2 players were missing in PCARS2 and are so looking forward to have in AMS2, judging by how fantastically AMS sounds.

Leaving aside arguments about which is more realistic or not, may I ask if this is the sounds style we should be expecting in AMS2, or it is it just early days? Or maybe it's just because of helmet cam, which indeed sounds different that cockpit cam?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Walker

The Walker Active Member

@Renato Simioni any plans to bring the Formula Ultimate and Extreme to AMS2 with the hybrid system? And in general, cars which use the hybrid engines?

19. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks renato and team. Looking good bet ya can't wait to wrap up ams and go full beans on the sequel! Lol

20. troublemaker

troublemaker New Member AMS2 Club Member

please bring back the superv8's

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2