1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rolling Starts/Formation Laps Discussion (weird AI issues)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by DavidGossett, Apr 11, 2022.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'll preface this discussion by saying the Madness engine has always been "hit or miss" with rolling starts and weird AI quirks, but the current state of AMS2's implementation is just horrible. IRL, rolling starts are used to reduce the chaos of standing start, but the AI is so inconsistent and buggy that there is a 50% chance half of the grid will start 10 seconds behind, get slapped with insane stupid penalties or get sent to the "nether realm." A temporary fix is to just avoid them at all costs, but some tracks like Daytona have no other option. There has to be a better solution than what we have currently.

I've been pleasantly surprised that people are willing to do a manual "impromptu formation lap" if you communicate it with people in the lobby. Most drivers I've come across seem to be competent enough to handle it. iRacing does this for its oval content and I see no reason why this wouldn't work in AMS2. All cars could start from their grid slot or other straight, stagger the release order, and you must stay in your row until green/lights out. Having one AI running a predetermined line by itself seems like it would have less potential for errors than 30 AI cars trying to navigate a chicane.

Aside from that, the penalty system for rolling starts needs a rework. It's not uncommon to get slapped with a 30 second penalty because the AI bugged out and held a car in place. I understand getting a penalty for overtaking other cars, but there should be some tolerance for AI mishaps.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not only AI mishaps, if someone crashes out or spins during the formation lap online (it happens :D), the dude behind that overtakes him also gets slammed with a time penalty. We are switching back to standing start for our IMSA series now because of that.

3. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Multiplayer is unplayable with any sort of rolling start or formation lap, there are so many bugs and random penalties/DQs. We need Reiza to 'borrow' ACC's method asap, or even make something better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mister dog

I hear the code is kind of keeping them hostage (Madness being programmed for quick 'pick up and go' P2P races) and not anything serious.

5. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Member

Ran formation lap in online races but it ain’t clear what the speed limit is at the end of the formation lap so some people from the back just accelerates and passes the ones at the front (they get no penalties for doing that). Is the speed limit 120kph for just the leader?

6. mister dog

Yeah just the leader, and I remember this catching out the leader as well handing them a penalty before the race starts.

• Like Like x 1