1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RTX4090 and VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by FADOQ, Oct 12, 2022.

1. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I m still on a GTX1080TI with a HP G2 VR Helmet which perform honestly compare to my previous rift regarding my setup.

There is a lot of fellows that run AMS2 in VR and I m often reading that the RTX3080 is a nice updgrade.

The RTX4090 is on sell since this morning and I was waiting to see how the 4xxxx perform in VR before emptying my bank account as the RTX series have mitigated VR review even running beter that mine GTX ( like shuttering introduced with RTX series, LHR that could be a potential issue on VR perf, ect...)

The main point of the G2 is the high résolution and it seems that the 4090 only make a différence in 4k vs the 3090/3080ti regarding FPS with the early tests that are available since yesterday which can then make sens There.

I guess I wasn't the only one to keep an eye on this and I would like to have your though and maybe feedback on AMS2 from a motivated people that was in Line this morning to Buy one of these ?!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

3. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I ve seen this review .. he was saying also that DLSS that crank Up the % ratings compare to the 3090 make the experience horrible in VR ..

Also in the past I ve Seen that performance review are mostly not so good when VR is involved compare to flat screen ( to show increase of perf).

This is why I m looking for real feedback and not numbers in a table , which is a good start but not Fully représentative of Day to Day use on my opinion and see how it Will perfom with OpenVR / XR .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

I tried to get a 4090 but all sold out
    (Uk)

I use a quest2 & 3080

be good to run the quest 2,at 120hz rock solid

Almost can now , 4090 should help with msfs2020
    & hopefully will not have to upgrade for a long time

it seems well suited for vr but so far all the reviews don’t mention VR to my surprise

5. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Some are and it seems msfs2020 is gaining a bit in VR ( a lot on flat with dlss3). But this is a cpu game

6. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

yes , I fix fps at 30fps , think with a 4090 I’ll be able to run 120hz & fix at 40fps or even (maybe) 60fps if dlss 3 is good

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I ve Seen above 100 with DLSS3 enable on flat displays at 4k

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does or will Automobilista 2 even support DLSS 3?
    Because that’s the requirement to use this advantage of the RTX 4090, right?
    So if Reiza won’t implement it (and I fear they won’t) maybe the 4090 won’t bring such a huge gain (compared to 3090 in VR), right?

9. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I don t think AMS2 supports DLSS3. I think today there is around 30 Games that are supporting it.

But even it is the case, this is not usefull for VR. On one of the review they tried it with F1 2022 and the feedback was it is horrible in VR. DLSS3 Makes prédiction to generate image and Produce artefact. On a flat displays that could be acceptable or even not noticeable but on VR you Will have artefact on both images that Will make it very obvious and not confortable then.( At least this is the way I understand it)

What I ve Read as well is for 1080p and 1440p There is no or almost no gain between 3090 and 4090 ( and then 3080TI as well). Even sometimes 3080 perform better un 1080p.

With 4k this is where the 4090 make sens and as in VR you are generating such big images especially with valve index, HP G2 , and some other recent Helmets.
    At the same Time with some older Helmet with lower résolution like the rift I m not sure the 4090 Will bring some improvement compare to 3080 as example.

10. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

I think you would see quite an improvement with a 4090 in VR. A lot of testing is showing the raster performance is (in some cases) double the speed of the 3090. Which is what is important for VR in the majority of games because DLSS isn't implemented.

The bottleneck at lower resolutions caused by the CPU wouldn't be a factor in VR as long as you have a decent enough CPU that is.

That's my thoughts anyway - would love to get my hands on one but it will have to wait a few months. Either that or get a divorce - mmmm, thinks :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

This is my though as well... From a 1080TI I think I have a bigger gap to fill than Someone with a 3080 or 3090 .. that almost convinced me but my wife:whistle:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  12. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I'm sure nobody likes being called a fool for getting a 4090 on launch day.

13. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I guess you have right .. I didn't want to be unrespectful.

I ve updated the original msg ... English Isn t my first langage a sometimes I doesn t sound like I want.;)

14. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

Interested in this too, looking to upgrade my 3080 to a 4090, will be updating the whole system, CPU and all. Raster performance boost at 4k (I'm on a G2) should be very noticable between 3090 and 4090, so a 3080 -> 4090 hopefully is worth the dolla. I'd like to increase the resolution and some details, locking the FPS to 90. Even with OpenXR I get frame-rate issues on occassion in day and night time is pretty much a no-go.

DLSS3 reviews indicate its best used when you're already in the high FPS numbers (120+) and looking to boost to 200+ in 4k. Low framerate starting point and/or lower resolution and it's a bit messy. Don't really think it'll be that useful for anyone not on a 240Hz 4k monitor in a limited selection of games.

15. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

dlss3 is basically asw for monitors, it inserts fake frames

16. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

Locked FPS night time / rain racing at ultra settings still out of reach :D

Good improvement though, I'm hoping by dropping some of the details, maybe the resolution down a tad and some OpenXR tweaks, stability is there.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow, a few days ago you posted that you think about upgrading your system and now you already post a video with 4090. That was fast! :cool:
    Did you upgrade CPU too? Can you post more infos about your rig please?

Thank you for your video! Really interesting and it shows that there must be something really wrong with night/rain in AMS2. Unbelievable that a RTX 4090 can’t handle this on a Quest 2 with it’s tiny FOV (dropping to 60 FPS with up to -80% negative headroom!).

18. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

Sorry no, this isn't me. This is a guy I've recently subscribed to that I'm using to decide whether to upgrade (though reading my comment I can see how I maybe implied that by accident lol).

His specs are in the description:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    Intel 12900k
    32GB DDR5
    Windows 10.
    Max everything stress test on Quest 2 (5408 x 2736 at 120Hz) and ULTRA AMS2 settings

I'm waiting to see what RDNA3 is like before making a jump, still unsure on CPU also.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Looks very promising... Rain looks awesome.

I only see gigabit cards coming back on stock nothing else. I m looking for a MSI liquide cooling so I don t need to change my case ( card is fairly smaller) or an ASUS... Unlucky until know

What I m Afraid about AMD is the Driver issues that I Read sometimes ... Any feedback with AMD and VR? I m not used to.

20. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member