1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I set T300 driver "Overall Strength" to the max(100) then lower in-game?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Trustern, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Trustern

Trustern New Member

I have the overall strength set to max which is 100% and in sims like Assetto and what not I then use the in-game settings to lower the FFB. I assume this is the most logical and should be the best thing to do? So you're always giving the sim the chance to utilize the most out of the force feedback so for ex 100 in game = max force feedback possible - 60 in game = 60% overall feedback out of 100.

Or should I just set the overall strength to default (75%) and from there adjust FFB through game? This method just doesn't quite make sense to me because of what I wrote above.

Would really appreciate some help to ease my overthinking on this subject. Thank you all

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Madonion

Madonion Member

Thrustmaster software 100%

Gain 75%.

either way you can see the clipping ingame and with this is does not clip.
    You can test for yourself if you leave 75% in thrustmaster softare and 100% ingame and see what it shows?

3. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I'm not sure how much it matters, but here's the sittings I'm using in the Thrustmaster control panel for gain settings on my TX:

Overall Strength - 100
    Constant - 100
    Periodic - 100
    Spring - 65
    Damper - 65

Auto-Center "by the game" enabled.

Since the Madness engine can control the strengths, I'm not sure how much it matters. In-game, I have strength at 65 but I'm still fiddling with settings.

4. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The Thrustmaster recommended default is 75%. Above that the "amplitude" is compressed; a bit like listening to a CD instead of hearing a live orchestra; you get the increased volume but you don't get the intensity and excitement.

You'll still feel an increase in Force when it's over that level but it won't have the same impact. All the lesser forces may be felt more prominently but the increased loads and the spikes won't be felt with enough relative force to give the right information.

If you want the information, keep it at 75% in the driver and adjust gain in the game to suit. If you want more realistic forces most of the time and are ready to compromise when the forces are trying to tell you something bump up the driver setting.

Real world forces are too high for a belt driven wheel. If you want more force, more realism AND the right information it may be time to invest in a direct drive wheel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

For strength, I don't believe it matters. I don't believe the in-game strength is a multiplier. I do believe it overrides/controls the strength in-game. There used be a bug with the Madness engine that the soft stop didn't work without enabling some % of Spring in the Thrustmaster Control Panel but I believe that was resolved from PC1 to PC2.

6. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

How are you monitoring the clipping?

7. Madonion

Madonion Member

Put up the HUD of your tires ingame and on the bottom left is a FFB monitor. The furthest one on the right of the graph is the clipping monitor. If it shows red you are clipping.

8. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Ideal settings for Thrustmaster is 75% default.
    This way you shouldn't get any clipping in any game as standard.
    Run 100% in game/Gain, but adjust if needed.
    Also make sure that the Damper and Spring are set to 0% otherwise you are losing FFB.
    Then try 100 gain/0-10 LFB, FX 40-50, sorted...

9. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not correct ! Stop spreading false info please !

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I would wager if you do Madonion's test above, you'll notice no difference.

In short, if there is a strength setting in the control panel and a strength setting in game, which does what? Short answer, they do the same thing. So setting 100% in game is the same as 100% in the Thrustmaster control panel.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

And how can you get more than 75% with the game set at 100%, the most you can get is the full 75%.
    I've done the test at 100% and 100% in game the steering is heavy and clips, 75% thrustmaster and 100% game the steering is lighter and doesn't clip.
    and how is this false information it's recommend by Thrustmaster, and there is a huge difference in turning the damper effect down, don't tell me to stop spreading false info pal, when you have no facts to back it up, and having adjusted it myself and used on AMS2 the difference is night and day.
    yes some games overide the damper etc but on P cars/AMS2 and even ACC there is a noticeable difference.

12. RoccoTTS

I was only talking about setting damper and spring to zero, that's not what TM recommended.
    The default in TM CP is damper and spring at 100, so this is what TM recommended.
    Besides it is confirmed by Renato : "damper & spring are currently not applied to AMS2" Link, this means you can't feel any difference in AMS2 with spring and damper at 0 or 100.

This is also a good post about this subject, it has been discussed before in this forum.

13. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Just FYI, it appears that second link is likely for "backers" only.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RoccoTTS

Oops, i didn't notice this.
    Anyway, i give up on this, let people believe what they want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Just tested and on my TS-PC at %100 and gain in game at 75% I'm not even close to clipping. Higher values don't clip either but it's too strong. However, I'd question the validity of the hud ffb widget as some columns relate to values that don't exist in Automobilsta 2 and only in PCars 2?

16. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

17. Richard Harris

Richard Harris Scrench

I hate to be the party pooper, but I set my TS-TC racer around 60% on Thrustmaster, then whatever the default is in the game. I intend for my wheel to last a long time, and don't really care about max FFB or "real car feeling, like as if... it's a game). So long as I can feel what I want, I'm not going to overdo it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

You can set it at 100% without issues. It's a myth that it won't last. And you aren't going to be using it at full strength anyway in most sims.

• Agree Agree x 1