1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slick tire outperforms wet tire on soaked track

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ChrisOuellet, Jan 16, 2022.

1. ChrisOuellet

ChrisOuellet New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get feedback from Reiza about a weird issue I found with slick tires on the F309, and many more slick equipped, lightweight cars. Basically, the slicks perform better or very close to the wet tires under storm conditions. This happens with multiple cars and on any track, but I personally tested it extensively at Silverstone Intl 2001, midday, storm conditions. No preset rubber on track, no dry line, soaked track, default track progression. The F309 was on stock setup.

I did two 15 minutes races, without any opponents, only changing the tires between the 2 races. I put a link below to the video showing this experiment.

I messed up on lap 4 on the slicks run, and I took a slow lap 4 on wets to get the temps back down. Overall, the average laptimes were Wet: 1:31.95 – Slick: 1:31.40. As you'll see if you watch the video, there isn't even a point in using wets for longevity, since they wore way quicker than the slicks anyway. I know I shouldn’t drift around like that if I want my tires to last, but that’s the only way to be fast right now. If you don’t initiate rotation through oversteer, you’ll wait forever for the fronts to grip.

The track does help the slicks though, since this version of Silverstone doesn't have that much high speed corners. Still, the super aggressive way I take Maggotts and Becketts on slicks shouldn't be possible. Also, the corner exits are way too fast on the slicks. It's like they cut through water better than the wets. Finally, you can recover from slides and drift around with so much control. Even if I have the time of my life drifting around like that, this probably should be fixed. I’m gonna enjoy it in the meantime :)

I hope someone at Reiza can take a look at this, explain what's going on, and hopefully correct it in a future update, if the issue isn't already known. I searched the forums before posting, but never seen it mentioned.

Here’s the video. Sorry for the weird perspective, I’m in VR and only the left eye gets recorded.

Thanks

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

i think the grip levels are fine when it comes to slick/wet tires.
    what really seems to be missing is the hydroplaning effect, those slicks swim up really fast and have no contact to the road.
    this is where the wet should outperform the slicks. looking at any race where suddenly rain appears and some stay out, u can see that grip is available in low speed sections but as soon as the cars speed up they have no more control and simply go straight.
    doesnt matter if downforce or gokarts

that being said some cars under the right weather do struggle alot from rain

3. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

The Montana is 1 of the vehicles I have tested that :)works correctly.(imo)
    Try the car in the vid. #1062 + individual cars need to be tested in a class as they may appear to differ in a class ie Historic GT
    Further back in thread go to Tarmac terrorist post.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

I noticed this a few days ago when testing at Silverstone club ( short circuit ) . Tried various cars and found no time advantages by running wets on the soaked track .
    Really hope reiza are looking into this as it's a total Immersion breaker and renders weather effects pointless .
    Apart from that I'm loving this SIM and can't wait to see how far it progresses in future updates .