Small physic question...

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Will Mazeo, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If many cars in a mod are rather very well balanced and I apply the same aero change on all of them (same x% reduction on base + same x% increase on multiplier on all cars, keeping the percentage difference between front and rear they had before the change) does the cars in theory remain balanced or is it just a dream? :oops:

2. ProjectFour

ProjectFour New Member AMS2 Club Member

Theoretically I would assume that it remains balanced the way the original settings were, but maybe not.

3. Will Mazeo

Yeah I think in theory they should, but physics aren't that simple so I'd like to listen to some guys with more experience since I don't have that much, not really wanting to go and try to balance all cars, especially if other changes become necessary

4. ProjectFour

ProjectFour New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I asked in the suggestion thread if we could get a theoretical aero balance calculator kind of thing (Like iracing have) in the setup menu.

5. Le_Poilu

Le_Poilu Member AMS2 Club Member

IRL different car don't react the same way when you change setups (aero or other)
    They can be well balanced in term of performance, it doesn't mean they are identical.
    Some may be really close (Nascar, SuperV8, because the regulation doesn't allow such differentiation), other may be very different (Formula1, GT, etc).

Now, what is simulated and how, and what had been "modelised" for each car ?
    If it's a modd it will depend on how far the modder went for each car physics models

6. shangerdi

shangerdi New Member AMS2 Club Member

I think this should look at the basic physics of these cars.

If these cars are very close in every part of the physics(like aero, power, type and etc) then change on all cars should be OK.

But if these cars original balance is keeping by "low power, high aero" vs "high power, low aero" for example like this. I think it will see luck.:D

Sorry for my pool english, I need more communication to practice that.

7. Will Mazeo

The GT3 mod 1.3 is using this aero change, so far everyone liked it, not possible to exploit the 1/1 wing setting on all tracks anymore and cars seem to be balanced still :)

8. Augusto

Augusto Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I work work with airplanes, with flight dynamics and simulation modeling.

Regarding aero modeling, it really depends on which "part" of the aero modelling equations you are playing. If you change a region of the aero curves where the aero coefficients are pretty linear, you should be fine.

But if you go to the non-linear part of aero curves, well... Strange things may happen!

I.e. wings in high angle of attack (alpha* angle) tends to have a non-linear lift coefficient which is modeled on quadratic terms (oh shi...).

If you linearly change this part with a gain, you may mess the balance.

Remember that a car may have many aero non-linearities, such as rake angles, high downforce, yawing aero forces, etc... You name it.