Sound problem Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Richard Wilks, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

Hello everybody!

Our F1 71 season is under way now in the historic sim racing forum, with the mod released just a couple of days ago. I take the chance to invite everybody to drive the cars, lot's of work was put in the physics of them, and polishing graphics and sounds.

And here lies a small problem, only found out when we launched our test server.

It seems that for some reason, the resampling filter than you can either turn on or off in the sound files seems on by default in multiplayer. Either that, or maybe some sort of different management is making the sounds just clip or cut when the loop ends. Now, i know "cleaner" sounds might eliminate them, but they are fairly clean already, and offline there seems to be no problem, so i wonder if the Dev team is aware of this?

Thank you again for your amazing work in this game, cheers!

2. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Pls post video or audio of issue.

3. Richard Wilks

4. Domagoj Lovric

Yeah that is the resampler filter being ON with non-prepared files. So all sfx files have it set to "0"?
    If thats the case, then i'll look what is wrong with it.

But you can prepare audio files to work with it, as it provides higher quality audio without artifacts (which on that clipped/distorted base audio in that mod will yield to even more artifacts).
    So to prepare them, three things:
    1) Normalize them to tad under 0 dBFS (like -0,01 is enough, just look at your editor meter to not turn red, or whatever the indication of clipping).
    2) Sample rate of 44.1 or 48.0
    3) DC Offset must be removed (if present of course) (think any audio editor has automatic offset removal)

So step 1 and 2 are crucial for resampler to work correctly, if step 3 is skipped, audio filters (including reverb) might distort randomly.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  5. Richard Wilks

Yes its off, like i said, this is only happening in a multiplayer session, not offline.

Thanks for the tips!

6. Husa

Husa New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the same problem. No problems on SP but very annoying cracks and pops on multiplayer.

I tried adding the resamplefilter line to all *.sfx files
    ResampleFilter=0

No luck.

Thought I might as well just try to normalize the current files.. I redid them and saved as 44100Hz 32 bit float. Now I have no sound at all :D The files work in other players and I did double my bitrate but I'm a bit stumped on what I failed to do properly.

I think I'll have to use audio from one of the existing cars and see if it's a workaround for now.

7. Domagoj Lovric

32bit won't work. Maximum bit depth = 16bits.
    For cracks and pops = mandatory thing is, as has been said numerous times, normalize files so they don't clip, best is to choose -0.01 dB (dBFS).

8. Gilles Lalonde

Gilles Lalonde MotherDawg

Hey Domagoj,

At MNRL, we are about to start a F1 75 LE season and an Opala86 one. The F1's sounds do snaps crackles and pops.

I used Audacity and checked the levels of the two highest RPM Inside Power clip... full clipping over zero db. I ran them through Audacity DC Offset and it has an option to drop the level 1db, check that. I went back online... Same!

So a question, the "cleaned up" samples, do they need to be put on the server side?

If not, the sound samples are shot. I need virgin Coswort DFV sound set.

Thank you for all your efforts dude.

9. Guiga

Guiga New Member

Has there been any further look into this topic by the devs? The problem still persists and it makes it for a very unpleasant experience.

Edit: Nice 2-year later "Dislike" reaction, VFX Pro :D. Fanboyism does not help games improve.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 1