Steering Lock & Ratio buggered?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Spin, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Spin

Spin Active Member

I noticed not much variability in my AMS install (up to date). Many cars have the same "generic" steering lock as-well as overall steering ratio. Some examples (didn't check DLC or F1 cars):

900/32
    Opala Stock Car 86
    Opala Stock Car
    Camaro
    Mini Challenge
    Lancer RS
    Lancer R
    Formula Vee

180/20
    kart 125cc direct bodywork
    kart 125cc direct
    kart 125cc shifter
    kart race
    kart rental
    bodywork

450/20
    Brazilian V8 Stock Cars (all models/years)
    Copa Montana
    Formula Truck (all models)
    Metalmoro MR18
    Copa Petrobas De Marcas (all models)

540/24
    Porsche
    ARC Camaro
    Formula Vee Dirt

360/18
    Formula 3 F301
    Formula 3 F309
    Super V8

All those cars in each group have the exact, identical steering lock as well as exact overall steering ratio (except the F-Vee Dirt by a tiny bit). It doesn't seem right to me. For example, a Copa Montana, Formula Truck, BV8, Metalmoro MR18, and Copa Petrobas all have the exact same steering lock as-well as overall steering ratio?

Not enough steering lock and/or a too fast overall steering ratio? Some examples:
    - Porsche: 540/24 - Real Porsche 911 GT racecars generally only have 540 degrees of steering lock?
    - Porsche: 540/24 - Steering ratio of 11.25? Are the steering racks really generally this fast?
    - Brazilian V8s (2015 and 2017): 450/20 - BV8s generally only run 450 degrees?
    - Super V8: Aussie V8s generally use around 360 degrees? This one is most certainly wrong.
    - Super V8: Steering ratio of 10.0? Really? That seems way too fast.

P.S. I know cars can be adjusted in real life and in game but these default values seem very generic (too many cars set to identical values) and also with a lot of cars seemingly having too fast overall steering ratios.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Check few of these, similar real life cars:
    V8, full rotation seems to be in between 400° - 450°

911, 540° steering wheel rotation lock to lock.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Spin

Spin Active Member

Thanks for those 2 vids. I'm suprised the V8s have around 450ish degrees of lock.
    How accurate do you think the 10.0 steering ratio is for them? Seems quite fast. How about all the other cars? So many cars sharing the exact same steering rotation as well as overall steering ratio/speed...

4. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't know TBH. Some do seem fast. Think in general it's a compromise for those that do not have high end direct drive wheels. G25, for example, gets in the way of being able to control the car in case of using slower rack - in hairy situations.. Especially the case for stiffly sprung racing cars, has less effect in case of road cars / softly sprung ones that in general have slower reaction.

Karts, Caterhams are afaik correct to realworld, the ones using 900° should also be / are quite close.

In real life there is a lot variation in what is used. Most new Ferrari's (street legal) have only two turns lock to lock, for example, F12 and new 812 have two turns lock to lock and 11.5 ratio.

Check this old topic, good read on the subject.
    Car facts guide - NoGripRacing Forums

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Spin

Spin Active Member

Are we able to get true overall steering ratios instead of ones that may have compromises for very slow wheels?

It's kind of odd that Opala Stock Car 86, Opala Stock Car, Camaro road car, Mini Challenge, Lancer RS, Lancer R, and Formula Vee all have identical steering ratios. Same with Brazilian V8 Stock Cars (all models/years), Copa Montana, Formula Truck (all models), Metalmoro MR18, Copa Petrobas De Marcas (all models)...all identical steering ratios.

I know we can change these ourselves but I like playing with what games set as the recommended, most realistic default and often don't know what to set many of these cars to.

it would be sweet if we could get proper ratios.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017