1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering speed sensitivity

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by alink, Apr 5, 2020.

1. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello,
    I always have the feeling that the steering sensitivity changes. On low speed the sensitivity is higher (car turns sharper) and on higher speed it is lower (car turns too less). Strange thing, because when driving through a narrow pit in chicane (like in Londrina) I have more or less the same steering angle like in a full throttle high speed corner. So, is there a steering speed sensitivity active and how to turn it off?

2. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

could be you selected STEERING ASSIST - YES in otions->gameplay->authenticity ?
    If YES, turn it off

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. alink

it's set to off as well as all other assistances.
    Steering linearity is set to 100, deadzone is 0.
    I'm using a thrustmaster wheel T150 (actual it's calibrated to 360°, I don't know and understand how to calibrate to a higher angle e.g. 450°)

4. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

You set the rotation in the Thrustmaster Control Panel ( this was added with newer drivers - link below). Set it to its maximum

Run AMS 2, In control options Run the wheel calibration to match your control panel setting

Set wheel to 50 sensitivity (linear) in the game options also

Now the game will be 1:1 when you use different cars. It will adjust your wheel rotation to match the car you are in but this will depend on the maximum rotation your wheel is capable of, naturally.

user manuals and current drivers if you need them :Thrustmaster - Technical support website

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. eSTee3

eSTee3 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I thought that 1to1 linearity should be set to 50 and not 100. Have you tried changing that, to see if it helps?

6. alink

thank you all for your quick response, I'll try it

7. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

If you are on Windows 10, once you update your Thrustmaster wheel driver the control panel will be listed under T on the Start menu ( bottom left windows icon)

Also and this is important, during the driver install, it will ask you to connect your wheel in a pop up window.
    Click next so you see " detecting devices" then connect your wheel (if its not already) If you do it before clicking next there is a chance Windows will interfere and reinstall the older driver instead of the new one you are still in the process of installing because a Thrustmaster driver upgrade temporarily removes the current installed driver ( and windows has a shadowcopy of this until a reboot) before it finishes the new driver install which requires the wheel to be connected during the total process.

After this is completed properly it will ask you to reboot, do it. Then when you are back at the desktop after a restart, in the Start menu (bottom left windows Icon) scroll down to T & Thrustmaster and run the firmware update that was included in the driver package

[​IMG]

Or you can find the shortcuts here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Thrustmaster FFB Racing wheel

8. Wolfgang Herold

360 degreees and sensitivity 100. OMG
    This is like a worst case scenario.
    You can't steer smoothly with such settings.
    Why does everybody think, the smaller the DOR, the better to drive.
    totally wrong.
    Use 900 and let AMS2 set the DOR for every car.
    smooth steering is the key, not fast turning!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I use 360 and don't have any problems with smooth turning at all, maybe I have adjusted to it.

10. Wolfgang Herold

try 540, learn to use it and you'll be 1 - 2s faster in a short time.
    Also the tires will last longer and that somtimes crazy understeer/oversteer behaviour will go away. Its not a bug, its wrong user setup :p
    Its interresting how many users complaint the have understeer. There are also users that complaint oversteer. What the hell. They should all also post their DOR settings.

11. eSTee3

eSTee3 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Any update on if you're experience is better?

12. alink

not yet, I'll try tomorrow and the following days (easter holiday) and give feedback

@Wolfgang Herold:
    what's meant with DOR?
    In AMS1 there could be set that AMS set the rotation dependig on the car. This was perfect, but in AMS2? I haven't found such an option till now.

13. Wolfgang Herold

Degree Of Rotation.
    You can make it as short as you want, but if too low and a wheel will react like a Gamepadstick. Thats why sticks have dampening. A little jitter with your hand and you are off track.
    With cars at high speed low DOR makes no sense. If you think you can only move through a corner with low settings you are too fast. Real F1 Cars have 450 afaik. All other cars much more.
    Try it.

@alink. AMS2 does that automatically. Set your wheel to 900 and the game should do that.

14. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

Indeed. Having a very low wheel rotation will make the vehicles, which have low rotation in real life such as the Karts, feel extremely twitchy. Tyres need to be smoothly turned to reflect the driver balancing the weight (load) across the car when traversing corners at speed .
    Turning suddenly (especially with an over sensitive wheel setting) from a straight position when arriving at a corner will break traction (lateral grip) almost instantly as the tyre slip angle has become too much for the tyre to cope with whilst your still managing load.

So as Wolf says:always set your wheel to its maximum rotation in the control panel. The simulator will adjust the game rotation on a per car basis.

Its only simcade/arcade racers which you can get away with super low control panel rotations

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. alink

you are right, a higher DOR is much better, you can drive smoother and more exactly.
    Thanks a lot, the DOR was too small for me, of course. I wondered why I can't use a higher. But now, I know what to do tomorrow (instead of tyre change on my real car only :))
    Happy Easter and stay at home, I'll do it

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. alink

Hi together,
    I did all the steps you suggested, thrustmaster driver update, set the steering range up to 1050 and recalibrated it in AMS2. Also set the steering sensitive back to 50. Everything is good now. That's what I wanted to have! More DOR for better driving!

@RWB.3vil: do you know if you can preset a configuration depending on a application? Because when using AMS1 the controller setup will be overwritten and so the steering range will change. It's anoying when you recognice it when sitting in an AMS2 car firstly.

17. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

On the DD2 I had to set it to 450 to have 1:1 with the virtual wheel..

I know GT3 cars are between 480-800 degrees with most of them opting for 620, 640 or 720..

acc_steering_lock.jpg

18. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

Not with Thrustmaster Control Panel, as far as Im aware, its usually a bug in the sim code that doesnt release the control panel back to the settings it was before the sim in question loaded from the driver. Raceroom Experience used to have this issue too but they fixed it.

AMS 2 at least for me releases the settings back to 900 ( my defaults) once the game closes.

All you can do, is manually revert to your max rotation, once you finish playing with a sim that doesnt revert your driver back to your default (AMS 1 being one that doesnt revert)

19. RWB.3vil

RWB.3vil Member

One of my race club buddies has a similar issue with his direct drive wheel (not sure what brand he has but it was mega expensive) , in that its better to match the car rotation in his DDW software then enter the game, then the server we are in.

Ive never really asked for full details but he is always asking what the car rotation is at default in the set up garage.

20. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Question for the devs:

Maybe there is a conflict between g27 and ams2? I have difficulties in setting my wheel right but only for 4 cars (sc brazil, v8s, karts, camaro). I use 570 dor (with 42 sensitivity).I already setup a “new” profile with 900 dor and 50 sensitivity but in v8’s it locked my wheel in 200-220 deg!!

Is this normal?