1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuttering/jerky graphics

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Djimi, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Djimi

Djimi New Member

I seem to be having an issue with AMS2 which I cant get to the bottom of, and Im wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction please?

When I run the game, its a bit hard to explain but the graphics just dont feel smooth. Im not experiencing any major fps drops but it feels like the graphics are just jerky. The below links are two videos to illustrate; one is my normal level of graphic detail (a mix of medium/high/ultra) but with AA set to trilinear and MSAA, Post AA and Super Sampling set to off. The second video is with everything set to the lowest setting I can.

My machine is running a Ryzen 7 3700x, 16GB of DDR4 3200mhz RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB. Im not expecting massive fps on ultra but it feels like it should be better than I am seeing!

On this machine I also run AMS1, AC, ACC, rFactor 2, Dirt Rally 2, F1 2020, ETS2 etc and I dont have issues with any of them.

2. Djimi

Djimi New Member

Sorry should have specified I'm playing on a 1080p monitor, fairly old so no gsync or anything like that.

3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

I guess there must be something wrong with (maybe) the combination of your settings.
    I have a system weaker than yours and can run AMS2 with a lot of the graf settings turned maxed.
    And I run with SS enabled in the driver (but not in the game).
    Looks pretty smooth to me and with fps 60-90 at least in LB mode.
    Sorry its "years" ago :D that I have started some AI bots up :)

ByTheWay: I just checked your videos. I have to say they look pretty bad. It looks like you are running completely without any AA "smoothing". The curbs looks like the teeth of chainsaws o_O

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  4. Djimi

Djimi New Member

Yeah in both I have all AA settings turn off/as low as I can, just to see if it helps. I normally run AA at at anisotropic 8x.

It does seem like something in the settings alright but I have switched all setting either off or as low as I can set them (as per the second video) and it makes no odds whatsoever. Im getting great fps (over 300fps at times) with the settings that low but it still feels jerky. I have tried various settings at different levels but it doesnt seem to help.

5. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Have you tried with 'vsync' on/off? (Performance menu if I remember right).

6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

I dont know if it will help you but I use these 2 settings in game and driver.
    hehe but I use a very ancient but stable nVidia driver:D

Performance.jpg AMS2 driverSettings.png

7. Djimi

Djimi New Member

I have tried with vsync both off and on. I have also tried limiting the fps through RTSS (first to 90, then 60 and finally 57 and I read someone suggest try monitor refresh rate -3fps).

8. Djimi

Djimi New Member

I'll give these a go, cheers. I don't think I have tried changing anything in the nvidia control panel but definitely worth a try

9. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As of last night, I updated my RTX 3090 to 460.79 drivers and now I have micro-stuttering with a really fast FPS and G-Sync on. I turned off G-sync in game to test and the problem is still there. I has to be something with the drivers.

10. Djimi

Djimi New Member

That's interesting. I generally keep my drivers pretty up to date and installed the latest one today. I'll try an older version and see how that goes.

11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Conserning driver versions then I does follow some advices from reasonably (sounding) skilled PC nerds.
    The argumentation goes that drivers will only 100% fit ones graphic card if they get published before the next generation of ones graphic card are about to launch.
    Because when next generation is launched then the graphic card producer begins to optimise the driver for the next card generation.
    Im using the nvidia driver 391.01 (prehistoric ;)) - and to verify the advice above I have tried to install some later drivers.
    And allways with bad results - like slightly lower fps or more flickering.
    Or other weird issues.:p

ByTheWay: Yes I know that a lot of people are very proud to advertise that they ALLWAYS use latest driver published.:D

12. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just rolled back to 457.30 and that minute micro-stuttering/steppy-ness is gone..

13. GJDriessen

GJDriessen Member

I have similar issues as of this week with a Nvidia card

14. Djimi

Djimi New Member

To be honest I have often wondered this myself. I see notifications of new drivers and I'm thinking how much thought can they really have put into a four year old card!

15. Djimi

Djimi New Member

I'll try rolling back to the two versions mentioned above and see if that helps. This isn't a new issue, it's something I have been experiencing since I first got AMS2 (maybe 6 months ago) but I hadn't played it for a while and it definitely feels worse now than before when it was more localised to certain corners on occasional tracks rather than all the time.

16. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Be aware that eventhough I personally consider this "same driver as card generation" as more or less a proven fact :rolleyes: - then none of the graphic card and driver devs has ever officially acknowledged this.
    Hehe and an older driver doesnt solve all graphic issues in games :p

ByTheWay: Its also easier to keep this strategy if you are running an OS that doesnt secretly up- or downgrade drivers and stuff behind your back :):)

17. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Djimi I've had great success using RTSS Scanline Sync for games that exhibit frame pacing issues (ie apparent jerkiness but FPS stays high). ACC is totally unplayable for me without it. I don't have the issues in AMS2, but it might be worth giving scanline sync a try.

18. Ayrton_pop

Ayrton_pop New Member

I had the same problem before changing the computer, before i had a 4 core amdfx, 16gb ram, sapphire r9 390 video card, aoc 32 "144hz monitor and the latest amd drivers. Now i have a ryzen5 2600x 16gb ram, same monitor and prehistoric video card (it is still branded ati)ati 5870 from 2009 and amd 15.7 drivers ..... the frames are lower but I no longer have any stuttering problems, the car drives better than before. y frames when i was stuttering were always above 40. i also changed win7 to win10

19. Ayrton_pop

Ayrton_pop New Member

If you check (people who have the stuttering problem)on what OS they are playing AMS2 let's see if it's an OS problem or not, so we rule out a cause.

20. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

This just shows how hard it is to draw final conclusions conserning graphic drivers.
    Before I had an Radeon Iceq HD7950 card - and used to run an old driver Catalyst 12.8.
    Then I tried to install the same (probably) Catalyst 15.7.1 as you are refering to.
    The driver did run OK but I ran some benchmarks which did show lower fps then on my old 12.8.
    Hehe guess what I did re-install?:D