1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing Multiplayer Screen Freezes (V1.4.1.3 onwards).

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Matt The Sim Racers Arms, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Matt The Sim Racers Arms Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is continuing on from this thread...
    Multiplayer - screen freezing mid race then continues

A bit of background...
    I was encountering 3-7 second freezes in game whilst racing in Ranked Multiplayer (only) and was very consistanlty happening at lap 3 or 4. The screen woould freeze and the game would continue with no FFB or steering input but a second or so of pedal input. Looking back at replays you would see all other cars stop dead and my/your vehicle continue out of control, then after the 3-7 seconds everyting would continue. Other racers have reported seeing my car suddenly reapear 50-100 meters further down the track and not actually witness the crash itslef.
    I logged my issue for just over 3 months (link to thread above) and tried every solution offered by the community here and on Discord. Nothing worked or even came close to making it better.

Several dev's have indicated that the issue may be resolved around the end of 2022, my log/diary is NOT intended to be negative but to hopefully have some benefit to the dev's (even in some small way).
    With the release of V1.4 I have decided to continue logging any related issue in this new thread.
    #001 Update on "testing multiplayer screen freezes" no hardware/software changes
    ** Virgin Broadband upgraded from 100Mbs to 200Mbs (same router & settings as previous thread).
    AMS2 - V1.4.1.3.2157
    Thursday 15th Sep 2022
    16:55 13 lobbies - Rkd - 12 racers (0 ai) - 7 laps - Fxd Setup - Bathurst - GT4 - 5 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE - but stutters lap 3.
    17:15 13 lobbies - Rkd - 14 racers (0 ai) - 6 laps - Fxd Setup - Long Beach - Caterham Superlight - 4 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE - but stutters lap 3.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Update on "testing multiplayer screen freezes" no hardware/software changes

Running V1.4.1.3.2157

Friday 16th Sep 2022

18:15 17 lobbies - Rkd - 26 racers (0 ai) - 15 min - Fxd Setup - Brands GP - GT4- 7 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE - BIG stutters whole race (ran at average 150fps but played like 20fps.
    18:50 17 lobbies - Rkd - 3 racers (0 ai) - 15 min - Fxd Setup - Oulton Park - Copa Classics - ? DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE + NO STUTTERS.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

3. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Yesterday I did some Time trial session ( long beach) and I had some small freeze as well There, mainly when I was hitting or touching wall. The Freese was noticeable on the gost as well when I selected it later

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I ran several session today with FPSVR widget on my face and notice each Time a freeze occured ( same reasons as before we observed) the CPU is spiking at 100%. So I guess as this is very easy to reproduce Reiza should be able to isolate which process hijack the cpu

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Hockenheim, Formule 3, dammage ON, 28/30 players, RKD. 6laps, setup allowed

The worst expérience ever. I joined Qual very late and did one lap. The guy I was following was jittering all around the track the whole lap.

Started from the back of the grid. The start was disgusting. Two or Three cars where jittering a lot and one was a gost. I was almost impossible to evaluate where to go. Crash from an eyes point of view were Random in front of me whitout any logic.

During the two first laps jittering with a mix of shuttering/ freeze were not pleasant at all. Not sure if it is from the host that cannot handle the load or the game itself but it is getting worst and worst.
    On lap 3 I was hit with no obvious player close to me and spent 2 min in the box for repair that I was barelly able to reach... On a 6 laps race it was unpleasant .

Worst session ever..

6. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Brand Hatch, UNRK, setup allowed, no dammage, F1 V12, around 20 players.

Freeze and jittering cars during the race ... Missed one turn because of the freeze.

7. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Today During offline race, long beach, damage ON, against AI ( E190.DTM) on a crash with AI got a freeze. GPU and CPU went to 0% ( or at least idle like no game running) for around 1-2 sec then a Spike to 100% of the CPU and then back to normal

8. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

The two last Days I did several RKD and UNRKD session that were not bad at all ... Still some small freezes when people resign from race on RKD session ... No jittering observed.

However I had two big resynch ... Kind of small pause, then cars reappeared at différent position ( like from Side to 30M in front) and game continue from There ... Disturbing

9. Arnageiste

Arnageiste New Member

I am also seeing screen freeze on multiplayer, it doesn't every race or even every gaming session, approx 1-2 Hours.
    The screen doesn't change but the sound is still going as I'm on to the grass & hit the wall, the screen comes back & the car might be on it's roof.
    I'm using a Rift S
    It seems to be with closed cockpit cars like GT3, GT4 Group A and not the formula style for me.
    No specific track, it's happened twice tonight in a 15 minute race at Kyalami in GT4, but also experienced it at Bathurst, Spa etc.
    Any thing you want me to look or provide that would give more clues to the cause?

10. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Hey Matt... I ve tried this one and seems helping a bit by the Time hopefully Reiza look at this issue
    Process Lasso
    This is free for personnal use.

Maybe I was lucky or maybe it is subjective but I Found less freeze or Shutter and when occur it is more dimmed.

Let me know if you give a try

11. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Thx. Not tried it yet, but I will & let you know how I get on.

12. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Running V1.4.3.2.2202 (ReleaseCandidate)

Wednesday 16th Nov 2022

19:25 15 lobbies - RANKED/F1200 - 11 Racers (0 ai) - 10 min - Not Fxd Setup - Jerez - BMW 2002 - 4 DNF - Damage Yes.
    4 min in (DNF) suffered a 5 second screen freeze causing crash (FFB+Pedal+Sound still working).
    *Note at least two others had the same issue.
    19:40 15 lobbies - NOT RANKED - 9 racers (0 ai) - 7 Laps - Not Fxd Setup - Interargos - Mercedes Group A - 0 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE + NO STUTTERS.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

13. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Did you try this yet? Disabling the Windows service "sysmain" (formerly known as superfetch)

14. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Had the same issue recently .. happend once until now

15. MaximusN

MaximusN New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the same problem. 2 Multiplayer races in Japan(GT4) with 4 friends and had 3 freezes per 7 lap race (not in qualy). I Drove the BMW and McLaren. It was almost exactly every 2 laps and even in the same section of the track(after the esses). Although it was a bit further every time so it's almost like it's a timed thing(enough time to get just a little bit further into the lap). My freezes are about 2-3 seconds and my inputs also keep working.

Had it in other online lobbies too, and I was focussing on ranked, so your observation the two are linked might be right.

EDIT:

Tried again just now. 2 Online ranked races at Monza. First was fine, second race on the 3rd lap afreeze in the second Lesmo. Came to a stop in the gravel(I tend to brake when it happens) and lost about 20 seconds. It;s not even that I mind that much myself, but it can't be pleasent to others. My friends said I disappeared when I froze, so it it seems to be a temporily stuck thread(not the physics one, because the car appears in another place).

Turned off the mentioned service in the quote below for testing purposes, but that didn't help. I thought it did at first but it still froze the second race(it was raining, but that wasn't the case in any of my other freezes).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  16. MaximusN

MaximusN New Member AMS2 Club Member

Small addition it also happened on a ranked dedicated server I set up myself(last thursday, so the 29th). Only this time my freeze was only once in a 6 lap race(on lap 5). I have tested multiple times on that (my)server on my own and it never froze against AI, but once I had my friends join it froze during the first race (not in Qualy). Replay shows all other cars not moving during my freeze(although it was fine on their end). Next tests will be if it's still the case if the server is unranked.

17. agxf

agxf New Member

Hello,
    I've been playing AMS2 for a few months now and really enjoyed it. I recently ventured into multiplayer and found it really enjoyable at first- But then i started getting screen freezes. They were perfectly as described above, 3-7 seconds, lose control and the screen is stuck on one frame, FFB, Sound and Pedals do seem to work to some degree and upon going into replay, all other cars are frozen at the moment of the freeze then teleport forward after the freeze has finished. It is utterly ruining my online experience and makes it literally impossible to progress. I manages to reach about 1650 rating, still getting pole and wins in most lobbie but when I inevitably crash out, it means i'm unable to progress past this rating.

List of measures i have tried so far:
    -Tone down AMS2 visual settings + Boost performance in AMD Ryzen Master and MSI Afterburner- Failed- Initially I believed this to be a hardware issue but the lack of improvement and freezing in replays would suggest this is a networking/server related issue.
    -Verify steam files- Failed
    -Change shared memomy and UDP frequency to those suggested on the forum- Failed
    -Verify all PC files through cmd- Failed
    -Reinstall AMS2 on my SSD instead of Hardrive- Failed

I simply cannot find anything to rectify this issue aso if anyone has any suggestions at all, please send them my way as this is utterly ruining AMS2 for me (even more than the dirty drivers lmao). The freezes occur intermitently with little correlation as to their timing (atleast from what I have picked up so far but I may be incorrect) and typically vary from 1 every 10 or so laps to 1 every 2 laps.

18. Arnageiste

Arnageiste New Member

Just an update I'm experiencing this every ranked race now, sometimes twice.
    Hope there is a fix soon as non ranked multiplayer is ok.
    I was thinking of running a procmon trace during a session, any idea what process might be causing this?

19. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Running V1.4.5.2.2247

Tuesday 10th Jan 2023

15:45 6 lobbies - RANKED - 16 Racers (0 ai) - 6 laps - Not Fxd Setup - Monza - GT3 - 4 DNF - Damage Yes.
    NO FREEZE + SMALL STUTTERS after lap 3.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

20. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Running V1.4.5.2.2247

Wednesday 11th Jan 2023

19:45 12+ lobbies - RANKED - 17 Racers (0 ai) - 6 laps - Fxd Setup - Interlagos GP - GT3 - 4 DNF - Damage No.
    NO FREEZE + BIG STUTTERS after lap 3.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes