1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time To Get Rid Of 2 Lap Penalty In TT

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Richard Harris, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Richard Harris

Richard Harris Scrench

Being penalized for the lap I'm currently on AND the next lap I haven't even started yet is ridiculous, idiotic, and makes me want to stop playing the game altogether. I have to decide between wasting another entire lap or restarting the Time Trial. Whatever made you think this was a good idea is wrong. The whole point of trying to set a new record is to push the car to the absolute limits of your and its ability, and then, while trying to find these limits, we get penalized? Absurd.

• Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Aletdownofstate

Aletdownofstate Maldonado's Front Wing

It's to stop people exploiting track limits at the end of a lap to gain an advantage on the next.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Agree :)

4. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Its a little frustrating, like if you overshoot the back hairpin at Donnington, and then the next lap is disqualified, but it's for a good reason and I tolerate it for that.

Consider something like Imola 88. You could gain a ton of time just barreling straight through ignoring the chicanes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pete Baldwin

Pete Baldwin Member

I disagree about getting rid of it entirely because it's there to stop exploits. If you go off the track, that lap shouldn't be eligible for the fastest lap and if you go off to gain speed down the start/finish straight, the following lap shouldn't count either.

There does need to be some tweaking though regarding what the game considers to be going off and gaining an advantage. In online races, I've gone completely off the track and lost 3 or 4 seconds only to come back on and be told to slow down or get a penalty.

6. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think the track limits are absurd,
    You tried to find the limits, and found them in the track limits
    try not to get over them in the next lap, or in the one after the next one or .....
    Getting upset don't make you faster, try to find some rest in doing lap after lap.
    Start slow and take every lap some time away.
    You don't burn tires or fuel, so you can go on doing laps forever.
    get in the flow (humming in some movie) and don't push.
    i think the track limits are good.
    They are only bad if you cross them, so don't

7. 250swb

250swb Active Member

The thing is there are many tracks where exploiting track limits isn't an advantage in improving the following lap, in most cases you will be slower, but at least if you weren't penalised the mental flow could continue. The rule should be about cutting corners and not drifting off onto the grass on the outside of the final bend.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Aletdownofstate

Aletdownofstate Maldonado's Front Wing

An alternative option would be to have a toggle to turn it off, but not allow times to be uploaded to the leaderboards.

9. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

If your last corner is slower, the next lap won't be ideal anyways, so nothing is lost if that lap isn't counted.

10. Richard Harris

Richard Harris Scrench

With more time to consider, I think blasting through the last turn out of bounds onto the straight that starts the next lap could definitely give an unfair advantage and time that should not be counted. Is there a way to keep it just for that last, or maybe the last two turns only? Anywhere else should just count against the current lap in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jakerock

Jakerock New Member AMS2 Club Member

I hate it too...when I screw up.
    Otherwise, IMO it just makes me a better driver to have that penalty.

12. 250swb

250swb Active Member

Of course, but intentionally blasting through the last turn out of bounds is cheating, which is not the same as making a mistake. There is a penalty if you go out of bounds within the set distance (anybody know what this distance is, is it the final sector?) from the end of the lap should you go off on the straight, or if a corner or corners are within that distance. I can't think of any circuit where going out of bounds could gain an advantage for the next lap two corners from the end of your current lap, and no last corner that could be abused by going onto the grass on the outside of the corner, or where going off on the straight could give an advantage for the next lap. So that only leaves making a mistake (or cheating) by cutting the final corner, so why not limit deletion of the next lap to that error alone?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. vortex

vortex Member

The problem is that going off at the very start of the final sector can’t make the next lap faster! I’m all for trying to prevent cheaters but this is just serious overkill and penalises non-cheaters (the majority) unnecessarily. If you exceed track limits in the latest version of ACC but gain no advantage, you get a pop-up that says just that and you’re not penalised so it’s definitely possible to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree that its too agressive and hate the fact its a straight copy of PC2

15. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

1. exploiters gonna exploit
    2. your car should burst into flames after 2 laps with a proper TT setup anyway
    3. if anything they should check certain tracks to make sure the TT starting point is back far enough so that true flying lap can begin on the first go. (VIR and Interlagos for example)

• Agree Agree x 1