1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time trial mode and tire state between laps

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jouni Korte, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Jouni Korte

Jouni Korte New Member

I'm rather new in AMS2 so apologies if this has been already discussed through. Anyway, I didn't find any definite answer to this so decided to make a post. I was doing time trial with BMW M1 Procar in Interlagos GP, and noticed that the tire temps/pressures or brake temps do not get reset after each lap. Also, the car became quite slippery after ~10 laps so I suspect that some tire wear also happened although I did not notice it in HUD. Now, for example in ACC time trial/hotlap mode the tire state etc. is reset after every lap, which is very convenient to driver as he can be sure that every single lap is done in identical conditions. So I'm wondering whether this time trial functionality in AMS2 is intentional and there's some reasoning behind it, or is it just a missing feature or a bug?

2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

You are completely right. There is both tire wear/temperature change and some other changes - that absolutely dont get reset every lap.
    I dont know if its intended or just a arcadish slipover from pCars.
    My own experience from more mature sims like Raceroom and iRacing does show that they in TT of course does get reset changes every lap.
    Hehe if you want to really experience how this strange slipover goes havoc then try the historic Interlagos in one of the faster cars like F-Reiza.
    You will only be able to drive 1 (one) lap before the tires gets red and begin to melt like butter.:rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

It’s a Time Trial, not a one lap dash.
    you are just trying to set the best time you can in a single run on track.
    You have to manage your tires as best you can.

Some might drive out lap gently to get all the tires into a better window, others will just drive hard straight away knowing the tires will fade fast, or in some cases the tires just lose temp the longer you run, because of too much brake cooling.

So it’s the complete opposite of arcade .. :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Jouni Korte

Jouni Korte New Member

Some valid points there @Kuku Maddog. However, if total realism was the aim in this mode, then also the fuel consumption should be enabled and car started from pits. As the idea of this mode is to get a single fastest possible lap time, my personal preference would be to have identical conditions for each lap, naturally taking the car setup into account, I feel it would be a good tradeoff between usability and realism. But anyway, it's up to dev team to decide what they want, so I'll make a feature request out of this and let's see if it leads to anything.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Iirc there's no tyre wear and no fuel consumption in TT but tyre temperatures can change based on your driving. Car always starts TT with ideal tyre temperatures but it's possible to overheat the tyres which will change their grip level and affect lap times. That's why after a few laps I restart TT since it's pointless trying to improve my lap times after I overheat the tyres.

6. Jouni Korte

Jouni Korte New Member

This is kind of my point. Instead of having to manually keep restarting TT, the game could do it for you after each lap. Made the feature request here: The Feature Request Thread... , feel free to disagree/agree.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

The fuel being set at that level just saves messing about with it which helps distinguish fixed or modified set up used, as if you ran default and changed the fuel it would register as a custom set up. When it’s not.