1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire management questions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Jeff Scharpf, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I am starting the GT1 (90s) championship and the first race goes 103 laps. In practice I found that I can make it about 38 laps on soft tires.
    So, in the race I went about 36 laps, pitted, and let the AI take over. The AI drove about another 35 laps with soft tires, and by the time I had him/her pit, the left FRONT tire was down to a sliver. I kept the AI in the car, but switched to hard slicks. I thought for sure that if the AI can go 38 laps on soft slicks, they MUST be able to go much more than that on hard slicks. Well, the hard slicks didn't last any longer than the soft slicks. With the race almost ending, (about 5 or 6 laps to go if I remember correctly), the left REAR was worn down to a sliver, so rather than risk a blowout, I had the AI pit and put on soft slicks. This dropped us from 5th to 8th (no points), but at least I didn't have a blow out and drop from 5th to last with a few laps to go :)
    I'm not unhappy with my decision, but I do have some questions:

1) Why didn't the hard slicks last any longer than the soft slicks?
    2) How far can I go before a blowout or is there some randomness there?
    3) If I had gotten to where the green tire graph was ultra thin or gone completely, does the tire blow automatically or is there some room for a lap or two after that?
    4) Has anyone pushed this or tested this to see what the limits are?

Overall, another really fun endurance race!

2. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

I tested this before the update on an lmp1 car (not sure which one)
    Put my nose in the barrier and hit the throttle until the tires were completely gone, and then continued for another couple of minutes.
    No blowout.
    But maybe that was added in the last update?

BTW, the grip was as good as gone at that point

3. Jeff Scharpf

oh that's not good for the realism but good to know for a race. If I don't have to worry about tire wear or grip it changes my pit strategy. I seemed to notice all of the AI (including my co-driver) were slowing down (lap times were getting longer) so I was assuming tire were.. but when things were at a sliver, they weren't really slipping around.
    I know the AI will come in automatically to pit if they are low on fuel, but I had to force them to pit for tires.

4. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

Mate, sorry for my ignorance, but how can I let ai take control of my car?

5. Jeff Scharpf

Bring up the Race Strategies with (Up arrow on my computer) .. it's one of the menu items.. "Swap Driver" it defaults to No.. you just toggle it to Yes. After the next pit stop, the AI will take over. In the Brazilian stock car series they are very good and will pit when necessary. In the GT1 series they were pretty stupid and kept pitting :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

Thanks Jeff.