1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triple Monitor Setup Guide??

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Darcy Parkinson, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Darcy Parkinson

Darcy Parkinson New Member

Hey!

I really want to play this sim but I can't get my triples to look right and honestly since it's not my main sim I just give up quick and go back to other things. Does anyone have a really straight forward triples setup guide? I don't want to use Nvidia surround

3 x 32" monitors, 21 inches away, 65 degree angle

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

If you want I can share my .in file and tell you my numbers and you can just change them accordingly to suit your numbers. But I'm not sure how they work now without surround. They used to work, just had to set either left or centre (can't remember) as main and go for it.

3. David G

David G New Member

This is getting quite frustrating.
    It just seems impossible to configure triples. I've done it twice, but no matter what I try now, it never gets the config right, ignoring whatever I set the previous time.
    The issue is that it just ignores whatever settings I have on the triplescreensettings.xml file. The three screen option shows 0 values for all numbers and it's not possible to adjust FOV or anything right. (FOV minimum number is 88 which is not right for my setup).
    I'm using nvidia surround and this way worked a couple of times but no luck now. I also have tried to delete the file (I made a copy of the right one for not entering manually the values again and again...). When I delete the file I start over again, I restart the game but it's still showing 0 although the values are correct in the file. If I enable "allow triple screen" in the file, it does not have an effect as next time I start the game, the value of the file changed... I've tried "force triple" and it seems that keeps the value enabled but it makes no difference if the rest of the settings are ignored.
    I'm really desperate as I spend more time restarting the game and trying entering the bloody numbers than actually playing...

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Without going any further, if the lowest FOV value is 88 then triples isn't selected yet. You need to tick the box on the triples settings page and then FOV values can drop below 88 then all other settings will take effect. Madness triple support is good but the setting up isn't the best mainly due to the fact that you can't do it live on track.
    Hopefully it is just a misstep on your end and the box hasn't been checked or something otherwise I have no idea why it won't work.

5. David G

David G New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I think I have it fixed now... or at least there's a workaround...
    1. setup the screen resolution with nvidia surround
    2. turn off Nvidia Surround
    3. in case you have a fourth monitor as I have, just leave it unplugged.
    4. now the settings appear as they should (if the triplescreensettings file was already configured) or just configure it again.
    Triples now work and I can select right FOV. However, I still think there's a bug somewhere because I could make it work with surround+fourth monitor a couple of times, but it just refuses to keep the settings. Anyway, I read that surround should have disabled, but other say the opposite. So in order to reduce frustration, I'll keep it as explained (disabled) although it's not the ideal solution.

• Like Like x 1
  6. whitestar

whitestar New Member

I just reinstalled the game and went through all settings just now. I had no issue using Nvidia surround 5760x1080. Here's what I discovered regarding those FOV settings that don't appear to go below a certain value: (In my case I couldn't get them to go below 90)

1. You first have to go into the triple screen settings and tick the box called Triple Screen Spanning.
    2. Then on that same screen you have to enter the settings for all three screens; left screen, center screen, right screen. Make sure you enter at least this:
    All screens: Physical Width, Physical Height
    Left and right screens: Angle From Forward
    Center screen: Distance To Screen
    3. Now that that's done you can go to Options -> Camera -> Field of View and be able to reduce those FOV values down further.

Tip: Use the FOV calculator here: Simsource
    Enter the values and click Calculate. Watch the Horizontal Fov value. Divide that value by 3 and enter the resulting value under Options -> Camera -> Field of View.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Davo OHno

Davo OHno New Member

Why would you want a FOV below that if you are using triples? Your FOV should be higher, not lower.

8. David G

David G New Member

It's just the other way around: when you have single screen, you want to increase your FOV in the settings so "more things" will enter in your view, but the drawback is that they appear distorted because they have been included artifitially in your view. When you have triples, you have wider resolution so you decrease the FOV (following the maths...) up to point where things appear in your view with no distortion and with the right size.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darcy Parkinson

Ok so I just had the hardest time with triples in this sim and realized I can't run my 4th monitor or else I lose the ability to setup triples in the options. Now that I have figured out triples how do I fix the side monitors not lining up with the center? For example if there was a straight line going right through the bezel they do not line up. I have tried the vertical offset but that is a pain in the ass and doesn't seem to do what I want it to do..... I also have to exit a session every single time to go change the setting.

Anyone have any tips for getting the sides lined up with the center?

10. Darcy Parkinson

Does nobody know how to fix the side monitors?

11. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Hey, I screwed around with the offset for ages and finally got them sorted, well close as at least. I don’t know of a shortcut so unfortunately I think you got to deal with the ball ache that it is. Why we cannot have a pop up like rF2 or AC I don’t know.

12. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Mine don't work very well, I have the triples spanning ticked but I only ever get the option of centre screen to input settings and no left or right. I think this is because my triples are classed as one monitor in eyefinity but I don't know how to run triples without surround for AMD. I have googled but so far not very helpful.

13. YayDanMan

YayDanMan New Member

Hey Darcy,

This is probably far too late, but thought I'd put this on the forum anyways:
    1. Far as I can tell from my own experience with a quad monitor setup (3x triple span + 1 top monitor for other apps), unless you set the primary monitor as the left most display in the triple screen setup, and configure the settings via the .xml files in the AMS2 Documents folder (instead of the in-game settings menu) you will need to use Nvidia Surround as AMS2/the Madness Engine doesn't support moving the top left corner of the game window away from the top left corner of your primary monitor
    2. As I don't use Surround all the time, I was pointed to DisplayMagician as a program that can switch back and forth between Surround and a multi-monitor (extended desktop) setup, and supports game profiles (changes the display profile, then launches the game automatically, can revert back to the first profile upon closing the game as well) - has yet to break on me so am fairly comfortable with recommending it
    3. As for a guide on setup of triple screens in AMS2, this video covers a very important (and quirky) point about the game calculates triple screen rendering and is also worth a watch
    4. I've only now finally figured out how to get the game up and running somewhat seamlessly, after owning this game for quite some time - ah well at least I can start to drive and tinker with FFB now rather than worry about graphics!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Daniel Muñoz Monserrat

Daniel Muñoz Monserrat New Member

Until a few months ago I had my 27" triple monitor, very happy, but I changed to a 32" one and now I get a frustrating configuration, because the central screen recognizes it as 32 but the side ones as 27, both in I have modified the program configuration as in the xml file, but it remains the same. I uninstalled Automobilista, deleted all the program files and documents to start from scratch but it remains the same.