1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updated multiplayer

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by slinkysteve, Sep 2, 2020.

1. slinkysteve

slinkysteve New Member

I absolutely love this game. Best sim right now and I'm sure it will be going into the future. There's just one part letting it down and that's multiplayer. This game would rocket to the next level is there was:

1. Some sort of safety rating and skill license
    2. Scheduled races every 30 mins that are ranked
    3. Being able to adjust all the options for racing inside the lobby
    4. Some sort of guide about tuning your car.

Does anyone know if this is in the works?

2. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Some of these have been confirmed and others have been requested. Fingers crossed they all eventually appear.

3. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just one part?

I never do multiplayer with anyone outside the building I'm in but rather than safety rating and skill levels I'd rather just see the motivation for crashing others taken away. Any car with too high a closing speed versus a car in front (at racing speed) ghost the aggressor vehicle and disable throttle until it's safe to restore it. Any car leaves the track, ghost the car and disable throttle control until it's safe to rejoin, etc. Disable the effects of too high a speed difference, braking too hard too soon, obstructing the racing line at too low a speed, rejoining the track where car reset wouldn't be allowed, etc.

That should allow rubbing but penalise the aggressor and leave the victim unaffected.

What's letting the game down for me is Single player; not having favourite setups, per track, for Practise, Qualifying, and Racing, not having races of Minimum Distance/Maximum Time, not having an Opponent Manager to edit driver names, performance and liveries, having the AI race faster than they qualify, not having a Windows compliant menu system, screen fonts that shout at me like I'm a six-year-old...

Ooh, getting carried away here. :)

4. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would like some preparation time in game and for supply and sanitation; 20 min Practice 10 min Qualify 30 min Race

This is announced

What do you mean? lots of setup guides are published on Internet.

5. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, every hour with that make up would be a good balance I think.

That's true but there has been some requests for a bit more info in game: eg tyre temp range to aim for.
    I feel pretty confident setting up a car but recently I was looking at the traction control and ABS for the Ginetta G55. Very counter intuitive so I just left it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just leave them be in that car, AFAIK it shouldn't have either. They might not even do anything if you do adjust them.
    Rather than resembling a realistic TC or ABS in AMS2 it is a percentage of slip so 100% is full slip (no ABS / TC. )

A multiplayer question if anyone knows the answer:
    When setting up a server are the ABS/TC settings just for the on/off type ABS/TC that you can apply to any car? I assume so. To word it differently, to allow realistic settings should I set ABS/TC/SC to off and "use realistic drive aids" to on? That's what I have been doing so far but not sure if I've hosted a car that actually has driver aids yet to test it out.

7. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I respect your idea and understand what you mean, but I would absolutely dislike this. Not only it makes it look arcadey, but it takes away the thrill of close racing imho.

Crashes are part of the race and, if not ill intended, I don't even get mad if somebody crashes into me. Controlling throttle and brakes, keeping the distance when you feel the guy ahead is a little bit erratic, letting the two guys ahead battle it out, and all of that do add a lot to the race experience, at least for me.

Edit: ah! The full course yellows/SC are a huuuge part of racing too, especially for slow guys like me, so I love when people crash badly and there needs to be a SC in the race :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I think (in general and theoretical) realistic driving aids means that cars that have TC and ABS in real life also have it in game. In the P1 class, as example, some vehicles have TC/ABS available in the setup, others don't. I always thought that 0% means no TC/ABS and 100% means full TC/ABS. But like you said, it also could be the other way around. At the same time, I never really felt a difference when playing with those settings which brings up the question is it fully implemented in the vehicles?

9. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The percentage thing is definitely slip so 0 is max (I guess the car shouldn't even drive with 0) and 100 is full slip. If it wasn't working for you it could be your settings or a car that has it in setup but doesn't actually do anything which I'm guessing is the case for the G55 SC.

Regarding my question you might have had to use the host function for it to make sense. There are options for use realistic aids and also abs/tc/sc. The fact they are listed with stability control makes me think it is the game driver aids that can be applied to any car.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

That makes sense what you are saying. I will continue to play around with the TC/ABS settings in the P1 vehicle and see what happens.
    In the host (or server) setup I probably then should disable ABS/TC/SC when I have Realistic Aids enabled. Thanks mate, I learned something today :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

One thing I've been thinking about and I cant actually remember because, like most people I update as soon as I can... but, when an update comes out - are you still able to join online races if you haven't updated to the latest version? I know when on the playstation you often cant play online games until you've updated your software, but I dont ever remember seeing any messages like that, but maybe I've never tried?