1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB microphone too quiet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wayne Whitmore, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For some time I have been suffering with low microphone input levels. Even with all system , device and app settings at 100% it has still been very quiet. This meant the I was having trouble using apps like discord where everyone was having to turn up my volume independently or voice activation software like Crew Chief, or Simulator Controller and Simcommander 4. I was almost yelling or at least speaking very loudly to have my voice recognized through the microphone.

Thinking I had a headset and microphone hardware issue I was lucky enough to get a new set of Corsair Virtuoso SE head phones for xmas. Well my bottom lipped dropped after installing them to see I still had the same issue.
    After a day’s trouble shooting and research it seems that windows 10 and 11 has issues with USB microphones. They do not get the mic boost setting to use and hundreds of threads around the forums are looking for the answer for this issue.
    While not finding a window’s fix a work around using a small piece of free software called Equalizer APO has solved my issue.
    After installing the application and creating some new settings I can now boost my mic level by 20db.
    Hopefully listeners will be able to use normal levels in discord now.
    Others may also have the same issue that Equalizer APO will help. Link to the site for download Equalizer APO | Download Equalizer APO
    One really good point about the software is that after making the new settings they are ready to use without needing to start any programs or extras at start up. Happy to help anyone that may wish to try this work around if they need it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. justposted

justposted Member AMS2 Club Member

Good shout. You might want to try the PEACE software, which helps you install EAPO and provides a nice UI as well. I use it to do things like boost speaker levels on my old netbook and drop the default bass on my Corsair headphones (which makes them 100% better, to my ear).

Peace Equalizer, interface Equalizer APO

• Like Like x 1