1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Screen Tearing in HP Reverb G2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by mgm41887, Jan 10, 2022.

1. mgm41887

mgm41887 New Member

I downloaded the game recently and it seems to work ok except there's really bad screen tearing in VR. It's not exactly tearing: it looks jittery and delayed (almost like it's lagging). I can't really describe it better than that. It happens anytime something moves: as I'm driving past things in my peripheral, as I turn the car. It's incredibly unpleasant.

I use the HP Reverb G2. I wonder if the issue is because the resolution is set to 1080p but the Reverb G2 is a 1440p headset? I also can't set the resolution to 1440p lol

Has anyone had this problem/found a fix?

Specs: 3080FE, 5600x, 32GB 3600Mhz ram, game on an m2 drive

2. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The resolution that you set in the Automobilista 2 performance settings is just for your desktop monitor(s). It does not affect the resolution in VR (except that if you set it very low, some menu screens are displayed with a low resolution also inside the headset - it's an old bug carried over from Project Cars 2)

Settings for the rendering quality of your HP Reverb G2 headset is set in two places: in Windows Mixed Reality and in SteamVR. There are many guides on how to do this, like this one:

3. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

Hi! Have you checked the performance graph in SteamVR for any dropped frames? They are displayed as purple lines, see video.

4. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've not had what you describe in AMS2, but I have had it in MSFS2020. Turning off hardware accelerated GPU scheduling (hags) in windows settings fixed it for me so it might be worth a try. Failing that you'd need to scale down the options a bit to hit that nice smooth 90fps, there's plenty of info out there to do it, but it's achievable.

5. mgm41887

mgm41887 New Member

thank you for recommending that video. i turned off motion smoothing and corrected the resolution and it solved 95% of the problems. I think now i'm getting frame drops but that's because ive got the visuals cranked up too high.

6. mgm41887

mgm41887 New Member

I didn't do this (because i am a big wuss and editing the registry seems like something i would mess up) but i did turn off motion smoothing in SteamVR options and it fixed the problem!

7. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not as complicated as doing registry entries, it's just within windows settings, but I'd not heard of it before, I got the tip from the MSFS 2020 forums. Here's a guide
    https://www.howtogeek.com/756935/how-to-enable-hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-in-windows-11/
    Might not do anything but it's easy enough to try. Glad the motion smoothing helped.