Why does Free look act strangely?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by keith windsor, Jun 3, 2016.

1. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have assigned the 'Del' key to 'Toggle free look'.
    But can anyone please tell me why, sometimes when I press it, the view just drops downward to the floor and is uncontrollable, yet at other times it works ok? Seems to be no logic to it.

2. Thiago Izequiel

Thiago Izequiel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Keith. Had you also set the del key for any other command? This could be probably associated to the default configuration, where "del" also changes the camera. Since now it's possible to bind the same key for different commands, you should check this.

3. keith windsor

Hi Thiago, no it's not set as any other command. I also tried assigning different keys but the same thing happens every time (in Formula Classics at least).
    (in the small monitor, it works ok - I can hit 'free move', and look all around the cockpit. But if I select race and go to my cockpit in the garage or out on track, then hit 'free move', the view just drops downward and looks at the floor. I just can't work out why it is happening & would really like to solve it.

4. Thiago Izequiel

Thiago Izequiel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I see. Well, free move is binded to your mouse, so any movement detected by the optical sensor of it will move the camera. Just throwing this out, but maybe reducing the mouse sensitivity on your windows settings could help? Unless, somehow, freemove is binded to any axis of your inputs.
    I did a test here and couldn't reproduce the issue, everything worked as intended.

Also, check if you have any key / axis associated to your "look down" command.

• Like Like x 1
  5. keith windsor

Thanks for testing it, at least I know the problem is at my end. I'll investigate further. :)

6. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Don´t you have commands mapped to move the camera around, which might have been activated by mistake during use?

7. keith windsor

They are all empty except the swingman. This is really bugging me to find the answer. It's a very minor thing, but lately I was using it to look around & sideways out of the garage as I drove out lol.

Here's the thing - The problem is only in the beta version on my game pc. In the svn & SCE it works perfectly, which seems to rule out my mouse or other hardware, or xpadder or Logitech profiler, which I use on all three.
    It also works perfectly in the beta version on my laptop.

So I tried deleting the config, userdata folder, all controller files (including one in the root directory), & all plugins & then did a steam integrity check & made new profile. But the problem is still there. So then I went racing instead.

There must be another setting I have changed in the past that makes it different to the others, that I am missing when I rebuild through Steam. Later today I will be more brutal with a steam rebuild, before I resort to a full reinstall.

8. keith windsor

Finally found it.
    It is the real head motion plugin. Although I had uninstalled it with Mod Enabler, the dll had in fact remained in the directory so it was still working.
    It is obviously affecting the pitch angle when I try to use free look. Unfortunately I don't suppose there is any way round this so it's not possible to use both at the same time. Anyway, problem solved, thanks for the suggestions.

• Useful Useful x 1