1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does professional racing hate Ohio so much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dylan Hale, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well the rumor mill is circulating and it looks like Indy will be taking Mid Ohio's place on the IMSA calendar despite great attendance and on track product. It would not surprise me at all if Indycar was close behind given the massive loss of revenue despite the indycar race having even better attendance! So it just begs the question, why does professional racing hate Ohio so much?

We haven't held a Nascar cup race in the state sense 1959. Period, Nothing, Notta, Bungous

IMSA has made attempts to run a road course around the highways of Columbus but pulled the plug on that back in the 1980's. Now we're about to loose Mid Ohio for Indy.

Indycar had lost Cleveland and soon with Mid Ohio loosing the IMSA, I doubt they will be able to make the requested renovations indycar insists upon.

This sucks...

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

Mainstream motorsports has becoming only money making business. The sport itself is coming 2nd place at the best.
    Therefore i have stopped watching this commercial s**t completely.
    But thanks good there are still some more natural series in the world and thanks REIZA i have discovered some of them.......brazilian motorsport!:hurrayreiza:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The reason for that is mainly money. It is common practice that a track operator has to pay the race series to drive on his track. Thats was also the reason why there is and was no German Grand Prix in 2021-22. due to Corona it was exspected that the revenue from tickets would not suffice to pay the Formula 1 Circus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Periophtalmus Spintirus

The exactly same reason why there are rumours that Monaco (and maybe some others) are in question for coming F1 Seasons. The official reason is, that those tracks are technically outdated... *lol*
    Maybe some time F1 is held up in Arabia and Asia only! :whistle:

5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Well street circuits are somewhat weird, cost lots and scary, so I can understand Monaco becoming outdated.

6. Periophtalmus Spintirus

I have to agree. Never really liked Monaco.
    But nevertheless, if theywould pay enough money, they would easily in the business again!:whistle:

7. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The cars got too big for Monaco. Go watch some races from the 80's (best part of the F1 TV app) and it is nothing like today.

As for Ohio, I'm not sure what's wrong there. The track is really nice, I was there for both an Indycar race and a vintage (SVRA) race and had a great time.

8. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Source for this?

I had heard rumors that Mid Ohio was debating upgrades to try to keep IMSA and IndyCar back when Magnusson name dropped it in an F1 interview, but had no idea of IMSA wanting to pull the plug.

Mid Ohio is aging and in need of some upgrades to facilities. The question is, do they spend a ton refurbishing to keep what they have, or do nothing and risk losing their biggest races. Maybe it's just too close to Indiana to survive, though I'd hate to see this iconic track fade into obscurity.

Kentucky Speedway was basically a Cincinnati/Louisville/Lexington market, but it looks like it's just going to sit and rot like all the of other Texas clones.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe New Member

As a European, I only ever seen / driven Midd Ohio behind my simwheel. Must admid its one of the best tracks to drive in any sim I drive it in. Great fan of it. Unfortunatly the tracks specifics that make a great track seem to be more and more irrelevant for the masses.

10. Dale Ballweg

Dale Ballweg Member

Yes, look how easy it was for Alonso to hold up the pack at Monaco this year, as far as Mid Ohio, I love that track, loved going to races there, drivers love that track, not sure what that is all about. .

11. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Yeah, I feel for ya. I love Mid-Ohio, it's a fun track to drive. But things change, and usually not for the better.

But you can't go by me. I'm old, and I mark the beginning of the collapse of civilization at the day after the last time the U. S. Grand Prix was held at Watkins Glen.

• Like Like x 1