1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

This is wrong.

FSR is used to get a sharper image. I see this misconception many times.

It does not work like this in VR.

For VR you have the following hard requirement in mind: 90fps in all scenarios. That is a given.

Any tricks you do to the image are there ONLY to get the best picture quality at this 90fps. It makes no sense to do something to lessen the load, guaranteed 90fps should be the outcome anyway.

Using fsr you can achieve a sharper image at 90fps then without, with the cost of some artifacting. If you really don't like this artifacts, then of course you should not use it, but personally the much sharper image possible at 90fps far outweighs these occasional graphic glitches you can see for me personally.

My settings are 75% fsr ratio and I believe 35% sharpening. For reverb G2 (3000*3000 native per eye)

2. chonk

chonk New Member AMS2 Club Member

so you are saying that (3000 * 3000) * 75% upscaled to native produces a better image than 3000 * 3000 native? Because that literally makes no sense and FSR is there as a performance tool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Of course that is not what I am saying, and again, this is where the misunderstanding comes from.
    I have a 6900XT, and obviously that is never ever going to get stable 90fps at 3000x3000. If I want to achieve 90fps (keeping in game settings the same). I would probably need something around 2500x 2500 resolution.

So you have to compare 2500*2500 image quality vs upscaled to 3000*3000 quality with FSR And in both cases having the same buffer for GPU usage to keep stable 90fps. The latter is significanlty more pleasing for the eye, at least on HP Reverb G2.

In that sense, no fsr is not a performance tool, (well I guess it depends on how you define it of course) but an image quality tool for a much sharper image.

4. chonk

chonk New Member AMS2 Club Member

What misunderstanding? Nothing that I wrote in my post is misunderstood, you yourself are literally using it for it's given purpose of upscaling a lower resolution image so that you can achieve higher fps at the expense of a lower quality image than native, this is the definition of a performance tool.

If a user does not need the performance overhead provided by FSR they should not be using it. If they just want to sharpen the image they can use CAS or edit the openvrdx11 config with a low sharpening strength of something like 0.2 - 0.4

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

The bold part highlights that you still misunderstand what I said in my posts:

- You are not achieving higher fps! That was the main point of my first post. framerate is a given 90 fps. This does not change, you will always target 90 fps, no less, no more.

- There is no point in comparing things to "native" resolution. You need to compare the image quality that you can achieve at 90 fps with and without FSR.

Effectively FSR improves image quality for VR, since 90 fps is the target. That is what you should use fsr for, not for performance (meaning more fps)

6. Koering

Koering New Member

I like both your arguments, and I think I finally understood the purpose of an upscaler or CAS in VR.

I run at the moment 90fps with a resolution of 2900x and CAS. I will compare the visuals (sharpness) to it with a higher resolution and FSR. FYI I change resolution of AMS2 only via resolution override in the openXR toolkit and do not touch it anywhere else.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sudie

Sudie New Member

Help, I have a weird problem, should steamvr start when using PimaxXR?
    It's doing so at the moment, and I cant change it (tried changing to Steam, and back, reinstalling PimaxXr)
    I have not set SteamVR as the openXR runtime.
    The main problem now is that I cannot start the OpenXR toolkit.....

8. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

For FSR the approach should be to look at your current settings that you trust give you guaranteed 90fps with some headroom. Take a track and look at the headroom number using OpenXR tools.

Then you apply FSR and increase the resolution until you have the same amount of headroom. Personally I use 75% FSR and 35% sharpening I believe, You can ofcourse change these settings as well, but they should be constant when you are tuning towards the headroom you also have without using FSR.

I hope this makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Well got my quest 3 hooked up and it looks awesome.
    One question, how do I set a “select” button on the gaze control in the VR settings panel of AMS2

10. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Gaze control activates when you stare at a button without moving. I don't think you can set a key for it. I've had issues with gaze locking the mouse cursor in the corner of the monitor, so I've turned it off. I prefer using a mouse.

11. Bull Shark

Yeah I noticed there is an xx time involved. You have to look at the button for a period of time. Can be adapted in de games files. But when you read the info on the right site of the gaze settings, you can read the you can assign it to a button on your wheel. , strange… :(

12. dryheat94

It may be possible, but I'm not familiar with it. Maybe another madness leftover.

• Like Like x 1
  13. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

I don't use gaze control. I map mouse to hat switch on my wheel using joytokey. Also use a track pad on wireless keyboard when in menus and using the screen rather than HMD

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bull Shark

Yeah not a big problem not using it, I can use a mouse indeed. But The idea is cool, although we need an activation button. Strange that it is possible according the text in the context menu but it is not available.

15. Rintintin78

Rintintin78 New Member

Hi,
    What video settings consume the most FPS? Do You have a guide for VR and settings?
    What is it for:
    1. reflections
    2. Environment Map
    3. shadow detail
    Thanks

16. LostPatrol

LostPatrol New Member

You might find this useful, he goes through the impact of most of the settings

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Bull Shark

well I tried to install OpenXR en OpenComposite After watching this VID. Followed every step. All I get is an error
    When I launch the game in OculusVR, all is fine.
    Any idea's here?

Schermafbeelding 2024-04-27 124324.png

18. Tuborg

Tuborg New Member

Have you dowloaded and placed the dll-file in the right folder?

19. Bull Shark

According the vid, this is not necessary. The app, OpenRuntime Switch should take care of this.

Schermafbeelding 2024-04-27 132715.png

EDIT, Looks like it runs, but I can't tell if it Runs via SteamVr or Via OpenComposite. I have set the buttons to "open" the OpenXR toolset but nothing happens when I press the set key combo. CTRL + Numpad 2 (for open the toolkit ingame.)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  20. dryheat94

Are you using the oculus bypass detector? This is only needed for AMS2. GitHub - rodolZ80/bypass-oculus-detector: Windows Library that simulates not having the Oculus service running and having the VR Headset disconnected.

Also, if you changed the menu hotkeys, it will change the hotkey to open it in game. I changed mine to arrow keys, so for me to open it in game I select CTRL/Down Arrow.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024