1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one (Ring)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by paddler, Oct 23, 2020.

1. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There seem to be a lot of fans of the mighty Nordschleife Nurburgring track. I, however do not like the track at all and can't understand the hype. Am I the only one?

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I suggest you consult a professional therapist to help you with your very unique issue. ;)

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a very challenging track, that's why people love it to practice driving... but it's not a track for "racing"... too narrow.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nope, same here.
    Other than hotlapping this track it's not suitable for racing. And I'm saying that as a german. Do not misunderstand me: I like the track, it's challenging and all....but too long and to narrow at places for fast and modern race cars. For slower cars (Formula Vee etc) it becomes interesting again....

However I think it belongs to every modern racing sim.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

Nope, you're not alone. I don't hate it but for other than occasional hotlapping it's pretty meh track.

I could very well live without it in AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is an endurance race track where strategy plays a major role.
    If you have observed the last 24 hours, you could see that overtaking is possible in places you hadn't thought of (e.g. Hocheichen).
    It's a question of skill and professionalism, which I lack in both.;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I like it for an occasional ride.

8. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Nord is amazing. Its a real long track. It's has twists, corners, and lots more. It's great to set hotlaps, it's great to drive a few laps to clear the mind. After all it doesn't feel too repetitive. Doing 3 laps and suddenly you're 20 / 30 minutes further, lol. For racing it's not ideal, but hotlapping, trackdays, cruising, etc. It's lovely. It feels like I am going somewhere, instead of going round and doing 1.30 minutes laps.

Also I love Nord-lobby's in MP cause you meet lots of people, having fun drives, having chases and much more. It's not about racing, but feeling relaxed and see what the lobby gives you.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Yep, that's my view of it too. Since I don't really enjoy hotlapping, Nords has very little value for me.

Which the vast majority of online drivers completely lack, hence it's not much good for sim-racing. I have a race on it tonight and am dreading it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

In real life, it's an amazing circuit for multiclass racing - I'm lucky enough to have been to the 24 Hours many times and its my favourite race to attend in the world, a special race and atmosphere.

Before I first visited it, I wasn't so enthused by it in sims. I like it, but multi-class AI is one of the hardest things for sims to pull off, so I'm not currently expecting much from it in AMS2 until the AI's improved a bit more, but I definitely look forward to finding out.

When driving, it reminds me of a rollercoaster - you start at the top of various sections and then just hold on until you reach the top of the next hill. The challenge is excellent and it's one of the hardest places going to get in the groove, but when you do it flows like no other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Learning the track inside out is a task of months, even years to find those extra seconds. You keep pushing and finding places where you can still improve. It is a driver's mecca for a reason. Being able to push like mad and restart at any moment just makes this a never ending challenge to me.

Racing is definitely possible... but you need to do it with people you trust and who know the track equally as well as you so everyone is positioned in the right place all the time. It is why I like Touristenfahrten. People push eachother to learn and improve and it becomes a small community of its own as mentioned by Marius. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

These guys did.
    Alberto Ascari, Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, John Surtees, Jackie Stewart and Jacky Ickx.
    It can work in sims also.
    As mentioned above Trust plays a part aside from ability.

If however we have no P&Q in ams2 unlike in PC1 but not Pc2 its likely not many people will race it anyhow/ random grids in sims will usually be a disaster, and probably at most tracks.
    Im not its biggest fan btw, thankfully we can all choose were we race, some dont like racing Monaco for instance. Our choice

13. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

No you are not, but even if some one like me enjoy driving the Nords, I have no interest to have it in AMS2 for 2 reasons.
    First, I already have it in AC, PCars2 and RF2, so no need for it in AMS2.
    Second, I mainly enjoy the Nords with road cars, AMS2 does not look like it is going to have many of those. I would prefer a track that is missing from other SIM, like Ascari for example.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

OK at least I agree it takes weeks until you instantly knows what comes after every corner of the track.
    But the discussion love or hate Nordschleife is more a discussion of what type of virtual driver you are.
    If you are just a casual driver who starts the game up to kill 10 minutes of boredom once in a while and without too much involvement - then you will probably hate Nordschleife.
    But if you more are the complete opposite ie a complete sim nerd who like to forget yourself by being fully involved in some kind of fantasy replica of RL racing fully concentrated on finding some more secs both on the track and in the garage - then you will probably love Nordschleife.

ByTheWay: But I guess that most people are between these two extremes and therefore cant decide if they actually like or hate the frustration/challenge of having to use a lot of time to even be able of setting some reasonable competitive laptimes.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Jebus

Of course, because everything is black and white.o_O

What if it's just a matter of taste? I go easily to your sim nerd category and yet am not interested of Nordschleife, even when I know the track pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Black and white??
    Or some people cannot read and therefore has to read something into others post that is completely against the actual content of the post.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jebus

Yeah, sorry didn't notice that one. But I still find your extremes pretty much nonsense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. schieber

schieber New Member

19. Lucas Vieira

Lucas Vieira Member

Usually those who dont like or hate this track, are the people who are bad at it. I dont judge, because it demands a lot of training and good memory to create all you brake marks and corner exits.

I had race several races at Nord on iracing, AC and others, and when you know the track and race against other drivers than also know the track, its extremally fun. And yes, its perfectly possible to race there. to overtake and keep high on the pressure.

For those who claim this track is narrow, that dont estimulate overtakes and stuff, well, Brands hatch, Cardwell Park, oulton park, arent that different are they? Just to name a few.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I freely admit I am no good at N'ring which is why I never really liked it much. I'm looking forward to the next update though (few days I hope). I'm gonna spend some time on it to get better. The plan is to do few laps a day if my time allows it.

• Agree Agree x 1