1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one (Ring)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by paddler, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I invite you to join Touristenfahrten next week then as having others online will make the whole process more fun ^^

2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

But it has a carousel!!! Wheee!!!

3. lukester

lukester Trey Ulbraking AMS2 Club Member

I don't think I ever had the mental capacity to learn it and it's even less likely nowadays! :confused: Stupid time, always passing :mad:

I wish (a) sim(s) would have a "checkpoint" practise mode. I.e. you drive around, set a marker at a point and at any time can instantly reset the game state to that point. Or does such a thing exist somewhere?

• Like Like x 2
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I think it was discussed in the iRacing forum years back when I was a member.
    Hehe I was against it because of the unrealism - eventhough I can see the point for looong tracks like Nordschleife.

ByTheWay: How about a virtual Mille Miglia without such possibility? :D

5. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You know every car has brakes, right? It's not necessary to go balls to the walls when you don't know the circuit. If a blind corner is coming up, just slow down and make sure you don't crash. Or set up a slow AI and follow them around, braking whenever their tail lights turn on. After a couple of laps like this you will have a basic idea and will start to remember the "tricky corners" where care is required, after which the exercise of finding speed can begin.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. lukester

You can always not use the feature though :)

Plus surely fancy racing team in house simulators have such a feature, so it would make the simulator a more realistic simulator simulator :D

7. lukester

[​IMG]

If there's one corner in an 8 minute lap you can't nail, a simulator is the perfect tool.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Long time ago i was in the same camp like you. But the reason was, that i didn't really know the track well enough. I crashed a lot, and with it came frustration. And i hated it.
    But after i was doing lap after lap and learned how to drive the Nordschleife, i started to love it. I'm not really fast on it, but at least i can drive a few laps in a row without crashing. And this feels quite satisfying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JASON CHAMBERLAIN

JASON CHAMBERLAIN Member

I've never been a big fan just because I haven't taken the time to learn it really well. I feel like hotlapping this track would be a good challenge for me. I know that I have it available in other sims, but I'm looking forward to doing in AMS2, eventually with some of the classic formula cars.

I'd really like to be able to participate in races on this track and be competent at it. I kind of sort of know it, but am still very slow. Is it vital in AMS2? Probably not, but it's one of those tracks that it seems like every sim should have.

10. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Cool. Thank you. Do I just look for your lobby?

11. Shriukan

Yup. There'll be 2 dedicated servers. Touristenfahrten AMS and KOW (Karts & Open Wheelers). They should pop up within 24h of the patch going live. Keeping closed cockpit cars and KOW separate as the latter will be the more chaotic one with cars losing wheels quite often.

The Touristenfahrten Thread

• Like Like x 2
  12. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Man, I hope we can run 60+ cars on Nord. With lots of classes. Not maximum 4 we have now. :p This gonna be awesome.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Shriukan

The 32 people limitation is something that could be opened up later on as the infrastructure is capable of having 64 drivers.
    I guess the same goes for the classes.
    DS has a Any car option. You can always use a dedicated server, script a lua addon to force people into driving certain classes and kick them if they join the track with a class you don't want. (and yes that is what will happen on TFAMS & TFKOW)

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. BartZ

Thank you very much. See you there:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. StevePMo

StevePMo Member

I don't have the patience to learn it. I bought it for RF2, but rarely drive it. It is cool for sure, but i just can't bring myself to practice enough to really learn it.

16. sk8

sk8 Member

I love and hate it. It's not called the Green Hell for nothing and there's a good reason all self respecting sports car manufacturers develop their cars there. Especially trying to do 6:45's in gt3 cars. You have to nail every single corner perfectly. If you miss one corner, do another long lap. It can be very frustrating or sometimes very very rewarding. It took me years to get decent times. Definitely the grandaddy of tracks for me. Some people just prefer an oval, and well, that's absolutely fine I guess. :D

17. Apex

Apex Active Member

I don't mean to sound haughty, but I actually don't think the Nordschleife is that difficult to learn. You can manage that in less than an hour if you go easy and pay attention, but it takes an effort to master it. Not that I claim that I do.

What I like about it is that, at least to me, there's no such thing as a perfect lap, and I can always improve on some parts of it. It's like a giant sudoku for cars, and I enjoy hotlapping there, not so much to master the track itself but to become an overall better driver anywhere.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  18. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hehe in Raceroom I topped the Nordschleife LBs in the F90´s.
    But then they launched a socalled competition with the Volkswagen ID.R - and I thought that as a proven alien :p I could also top the competition list in that car.
    Oh man I learned my lesson.:eek:
    When the real aliens arrived I was suddenly down at about #300 and counting :(

ByTheWay: In the end I ended about #500 (of 2000?) - hehe but I was 2-3 positions faster than Nicki Thiim.:p

• Like Like x 1
  19. lukester

Everyone's different, though! It can take me an hour to remember which room the simrig is in and I live in a studio apartment.

(may not be true)

• Funny Funny x 6
  20. BartZ

When are we expecting the October update? (more precisely then "in October";))

Can't wait for the tracks and some new cool cars. And hopefully some bug fixes.