1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A.I. crashing into me frequently

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by JoshOz, Oct 23, 2020.

1. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Wish I could report better results about A.I. after the latest update but alas....
    I just don't get it. How is this not a serious issue for everyone racing against A.I. Been doing some test races since the latest update and I really don't see much difference with the A.I. behavior, at least nothing obvious. Oh well, just got to stay hopeful that future updates will get it sorted. All I want is for the A.I. not to crash into the back of me at the start of the race. That would be a good start.

2. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Any Car track combination(s) especially?
    What difficult settings do you use?

3. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

SaxOhare, no car/track combinations in particular. I have done some races with (new) GT3/GT4 cars and open wheeler cars. Seems to happen too frequently for racing to be enjoyable. I guess my way of describing it is a total lack of racing etiquette. A.I. don't appear to follow any rules. I have opponent strength on 90 and aggression on 0. Do you have much luck with the A.I., SaxOhare?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  4. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I asked because i never experience the "crashing into my back" behavior, I thought perhaps you experience it with a car track combination i never used
    Specially at the start the AI is slow for me, so i always stay ahead of them,
    I always try to overtake the AI on the outside, only on the inside if i.m sure it can be done in a swift move on the outside.
    Trying on 100/50

edit: for some settings ams2 doesn't like the value 0, don't know if that is the case with aggression, you could try 1

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  5. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

AI
    Their having an off couple of weeks, and have been very good, just recently they regress as they did with me and others online yesterday
    Its a short term problem. Cars that are work in progress will have an effect on their calibration also.
    Im sure by the end of coming weekend they will fair better!
    Dont give up with them

• Like Like x 1
  6. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

SaxoShare, you could be right about the value 0 being buggy. On zero it’s like the complete opposite. I did try with aggression on 50 and I think it was ok, but I’ll have to do more races to see.

7. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Maser V6, something definitely changed with A.I. behaviour. I don’t remember it ever being much of an issue then all of a sudden the A.I. became very aggressive. Fingers crossed it gets better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Yep I like the new aggression and have ran anything from 65/to 100 for a long while till recently, car and track dependant.
    Its only the element of them actually contacting you (and their timing) thats a small issue. Reminds me of certain fi drivers many years ago and a few recently preventing their competitor from winning championship or race. no names ha. Murrey walkers commentary could be good here!!!.
    It will stabilise without a doubt just have to adapt and make more cautious overtakes.
    Be nice to see ai make errors from pressure of the following car and go off from error (Vetel, and more)
    Good times ahead.

9. bgil66

bgil66 New Member AMS2 Club Member

AI is a joke in this sim, sorry to vent but it is. I really wish it was good to enjoy a nice race in whichever vehicle but the AI thinks this is Wreckfest instead. Another drawn out sim with a tweak here and there promoting DLC's and leaving important stuff in the dust. Prove me wrong Reiza

10. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I’ve got a suspicion that the twitchiness and jerkiness the AI used to display was partly due to their anti collision routines kicking in and conflicting with the programmed line. The reduced twitching that the AI display now seems to correlate with their newfound ignorance of the player. I was no fan of the twitching but it made for more enjoyable racing than the current implementation. Hoping for a comprehensive fix with the Nordschleife release this week.

11. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Yes tpw, that’s my hope also. Without reliable A.I. I don’t feel like playing AMS2.

12. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Thought I would follow up on this. I feel like playing AMS2 again.:)
    The A.I. is so much better for me now. I have had some really good races and the A.I. is NOT running into the back of me at the start of each race. Anyway, that’s all. Just felt like I owed it to Reiza to praise the improvements to A.I.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change for the worse in A.I. behaviour since 1.1.4.0? I kind of stopped playing AMS2 for a while and picked it back up with the latest update. I just tried a GT3 race at Kansai and on first lap I was in about 4th position and the A.I. just ran into the back of me and spun me out. The A.I. seemed to be really good a few updates ago and would respect your position on track, but now I feel like they have reverted to being super aggressive. I was racing at 90 strength and 60 aggression. I'd be very interested to hear thoughts from others on this topic. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  14. Apex

Apex Active Member

I think it's pretty good. I race mostly early Retros vs 99/66 AI. Aggression doesn't seem to make much of a difference though in terms of neither lap times nor dirty driving.

The occasional player vs AI contact is my fault at least 90% of the times it happens, judging from replays. They can be cheeky alright in the slow corners, but I don't experience dive bombs anymore, only a bit of side-by-side close encounters now and then on the straights.

15. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Wow--AI much improved in 1.1.3.5!

According to this thread agro settings should be fairly high to have “intelligent” ai.
    Ive been driving with agro at 90 and its been way better (not perfect) than on low settings.

16. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Thanks for your comments Apex. I understand A.I. isn’t perfect and probably never will be. I think I'm a bit disillusioned with AMS2 in general and when the A.I. ruin a race it makes me reconsider whether I want to play it or not. I’ll try some other track/car combos against the A.I. and see how I go.

17. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

That's interesting Kevin. I might bump my A.I. setting up to 80-90 and see what it’s like. I definitely feel like there was a point in time that AMS2 had great A.I. but now they don’t seem as good to race.

18. Apex

Apex Active Member

It makes sense, well sort of. For comparison I was quite frustrated with the AI in PC1/2 at first until I read somewhere that much of the dirty driving could be fixed by setting the aggression higher.

That's absolutely counter-intuitive, but I could clearly see on the replays that at higher settings the AI are much more eager to overtake rather than staying close behind you.

Since the AI and the player don't share the exact same physics, the AI can sometimes corner a bit faster than the player. At low aggression the AI are likely to just rear end the player, but at higher settings they'll get ready to overtake earlier.

When they have enough momentum and/or are in the right position (more than ½ car length it seems), they'll claim the corner and go for the apex. Seems to work pretty much the same way in this game.

That said, it's also important to learn the track. With the recent update the AI will actually bend over backwards to avoid colliding with the player, and you can easily force them into the grass when wheel-to-wheel simply by moving closer. But if you brake way too early, block very aggressively or rejoin the track in front of them, you're going to get hit.

19. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Hey Apex, what you say makes sense. Maybe I was a little too harsh on the A.I. It's probably just my interpretation of the word 'aggression' and what it means in a race. I have tried some more races on different tracks with mixed results. I'm going to keep A.I. aggression high though based on what I read in the link you provided.

20. Apex

Apex Active Member

Yesterday I tried a few ten lap races at Spielberg 1974 with the Gen1 Retros set to 99/99, and the AI cars were actually slower than at 99/66. The AI seems to be more 'on rails' the lower you set the aggression. I guess it's about finding a balance that suits your taste and driving style.

My main gripe with the AI, however, is that they are very slow in some corners and unreasonably fast in others. In the first slow right-hander-uphill at Spielberg I can easily take 3-4 cars on the outside and a couple more on the following straight. Then they'll catch up in the final corner, but I'm much, much faster on the main straight even with a very stable setup. So it makes at kind of yo-yo race, and it's sort of all or nothing as they still run in packs and don't break away from each other.